Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

I'm not worried about pixelation at all, I'm thinking brightness will suffer from being that large as well as I will lose some brightness from the AT Screen.

You could do like we are going to do... Make the whole wall with AT screen material and then see how big of a picture you like viewing and mask the AT screen wall with black acoustically transparent material. I figure it is better to go big now rather than later decide I want more and have to buy another screen. It is much cheaper to mod the masking panels to a smaller size if you want to go bigger. :)

• Like 1

How bout them Scala's Youth? Got anymore listening time in with them? Scala's, and K-horns are on my bucket list as well, however I don't think that will happen till we move into our own place in a couple years. And congrats again on your purchase!

I had about 30 minutes before work this morning and decided to do some quick A/B Comparison using a scene from The Book of Eli where they destroy the house. I've always been impressed with the detail of this scene and was curious how the LaScalas compared.

From this first initial test, to my ears, the LaScalas were much brighter and more detailed than the 83's. Dialog also was more prominent. I did not use an SPL meter to make sure both A/B were at the same volume but probably will do that during my next test to try and make it as fair of a comparison as possible.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with the sound of the LaScalas. Did Youthman just say that out loud? I never would have thought I would have uttered those words.

I even did a very quick A/B using the 83's as mains and switching between a single LaScala for a center and the RC-64. Again, the LaScala seemed to be more pronounced and detailed than the RC-64. Again, not a totally fair comparison since the RC-64 is 8ft in the air angled downwards towards the listening area while the LaScala is on the floor straight in front of me.

I'll likely have to bring the RC-64 down and place it on top of the LaScala to get a more fair comparison as well as level match them.

You might recap the X-overs or totally replace them before giving them a fair shake, although I'm betting you don't part with the big horns now. IMO, you can always add more bass, but you cant get the clarity or that huge soundstage out of a smaller mid. I can see movie guys sticking with the reference line, but music, its Heritage all the way.

Ask Dean about these. They're are reasonable priced, have the adjustable mid and I have put them head to head with recapped factory A's and recapped AL-3's in my LaScala's. To my ears they have more detail and clarity than the factory X-overs.

image-6.jpg

Edited by Max2

How bout them Scala's Youth? Got anymore listening time in with them? Scala's, and K-horns are on my bucket list as well, however I don't think that will happen till we move into our own place in a couple years. And congrats again on your purchase!

I had about 30 minutes before work this morning and decided to do some quick A/B Comparison using a scene from The Book of Eli where they destroy the house. I've always been impressed with the detail of this scene and was curious how the LaScalas compared.

From this first initial test, to my ears, the LaScalas were much brighter and more detailed than the 83's. Dialog also was more prominent. I did not use an SPL meter to make sure both A/B were at the same volume but probably will do that during my next test to try and make it as fair of a comparison as possible.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with the sound of the LaScalas. Did Youthman just say that out loud? I never would have thought I would have uttered those words.

I even did a very quick A/B using the 83's as mains and switching between a single LaScala for a center and the RC-64. Again, the LaScala seemed to be more pronounced and detailed than the RC-64. Again, not a totally fair comparison since the RC-64 is 8ft in the air angled downwards towards the listening area while the LaScala is on the floor straight in front of me.

I'll likely have to bring the RC-64 down and place it on top of the LaScala to get a more fair comparison as well as level match them.

You might recap the X-overs or totally replace them before giving them a fair shake, although I'm betting you don't part with the big horns now. IMO, you can always add more bass, but you cant get the clarity or that huge soundstage out of a smaller mid. I can see movie guys sticking with the reference line, but music, its Heritage all the way.

Ask Dean about these. They're are reasonable priced, have the adjustable mid and I have put them head to head with recapped factory A's and recapped AL-3's in my LaScala's. To my ears they have more detail and clarity than the factory X-overs.

image-6.jpg

That is beyond beautiful! Yes i would certainly try them before any changes. Wow!

• Like 1

Keep the screen above the speakers you have plenty of room above them for your screen and the speakers look great no reason to hide them.

I'd recommend a modified wall that stays mostly above your speakers, 3 LaScala's as front Left, Center, Right with your subwoofer between the center and one of the other fronts. The Fronts/sub all moved back under the screen, move your equipment up to shelves built into either one or both sides of your screen where the equipment would be concealed.

Now if you really want to get fancy a theater style drape curtain hides everything until it is performance time when the curtain is pulled to the sides framing and exposing the speakers and the screen.

Keep the screen above the speakers you have plenty of room above them for your screen and the speakers look great no reason to hide them.

I'd recommend a modified wall that stays mostly above your speakers, 3 LaScala's as front Left, Center, Right with your subwoofer between the center and one of the other fronts. The Fronts/sub all moved back under the screen, move your equipment up to shelves built into either one or both sides of your screen where the equipment would be concealed.

Now if you really want to get fancy a theater style drape curtain hides everything until it is performance time when the curtain is pulled to the sides framing and exposing the speakers and the screen.

Like this :Dside11714.jpg

• Like 2

Like this :Dside11714.jpg

That scope screen makes my 120" look so small even though it's just 5" bigger diagonally. Love that shot!

Suggestions so far.... (all good btw)

New projector

New screen

Curtains

another scala for center

modify wall / get rid of wall

horn loaded sub

plus a few others...

Now let's talk about mixing the reference surrounds with the heritage.... :P

s-l-i-p-p-e-r-y slooopppeee.......

Welcome to my dilemma!!

• Like 1

New projector

New screen

Curtains

another scala for center

horn loaded sub

plus a few others...

Welcome to my dilemma!!

Its this dam forum. To many good ideas and ways to upgrade. When i had the rf82 set up with a 52" tv i was pretty happy.

New projector

New screen

Curtains

another scala for center

horn loaded sub

plus a few others...

Welcome to my dilemma!!

Its this dam forum. To many good ideas and ways to upgrade. When i had the rf82 set up with a 52" tv i was pretty happy.

lol, I was happy with my BB Icons until I googled Klipsch!

Ok, my 2 cents which isn't worth 1/2 that. Each to his own as I thought my four 901s were the cat's meow but that was then. When I had to move from 7 Belles in my man cave to Texas and had no room I traded 3 Belles for a pair of -83s and a -64 (I have been known to make bad deals). While the RFs were ok in a bad room for HT, I did not like them for music at all. I finally got them sold and went back to Belles. To my ears it takes less to make a movie sound good than it does for 2 channel stereo. I went back to Belles. Do they have the deep bass impact? No. Funny thing, when I bought the NBS pre I found bass in the Belles.

• Like 1