Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

• Moderators

I guess it's not a bad problem to have huh? I'm ok with not having the speakers always in sight since I am more interested in how they sound vs eye candy. I just need to make it to where I can easily "unveil" them if I want to show them to a guest.

You have the height to lift your existing screen a little and redo the bottom of what's there to show off your stuff. Of if you wanted to go full AT wall you could do like previous post and build it like a garage door. Do a dual pivot hinge similar to one on a car hood to make the screen go up and back at the same time so it doesn't interfere with seating. Play with some Popsicle sticks to get your ratios and radius correct on a smaller scale then build the real thing. If one pivot is shorter than the other or crosses the other it'll drop the top down and back pushing the bottom up in a shorter radius. Add a linear actuator and.... This will quickly get outta hand.

Had another quick idea. Reverse the movements. Bring the top of the screen out along the ceiling and the bottom up in its own opening.

Edited by McMiRA

Michael, I would just try the LS angled in and, with the narrow width of your room, see/listen to find out if you even need a center. I have Heresy IIs for my tv and always have great imaging and centered vocals. A Belle won't match as well tonally with it's smaller mid horn. Remove the side doors or make them open on the bottom so you can angle in the LS easier.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

• Moderators

You have the height to lift your existing screen a little and redo the bottom of what's there to show off your stuff.

It is recommended that when looking straight ahead, your eyes should fall in the lower 1/3 of the screen. If I move it higher, this I would have to look up to view the screen thus causing strain on the neck and an uncomfortable position.

Michael, I would just try the LS angled in and, with the narrow width of your room, see/listen to find out if you even need a center.

I'll give it a try and see how it sounds without a center. I would rather have a dedicated center if I can make it work.

• Like 1

You have the height to lift your existing screen a little and redo the bottom of what's there to show off your stuff.

It is recommended that when looking straight ahead, your eyes should fall in the lower 1/3 of the screen. If I move it higher, this I would have to look up to view the screen thus causing strain on the neck and an uncomfortable position.

Michael, I would just try the LS angled in and, with the narrow width of your room, see/listen to find out if you even need a center.

I'll give it a try and see how it sounds without a center. I would rather have a dedicated center if I can make it work.

I ran my setup without a center La Scala for a while and it was ok... I still preferred it with a center though. You could def go without a center until you found a smokin hot deal on another one though!

• Moderators
It is recommended that when looking straight ahead, your eyes should fall in the lower 1/3 of the screen.

If your doing all of this you might as well get the size screen you really want.

another alternative

Turn the center LaScala upside down tilted up a little putting the horns out of the way of the screen if they were to high. You could even do the same with the L R if needed to fit the screen. The only difference would be it may loose a little bit of bass, the subs would cover that since the Lascala's need help with lower bass anyway.

I have a single LaScala in the works.

You won't be sorry, 3 across the front sounds amazing, I only heard it once but it was impressive.

It's going to be like a new room

• Like 1

If you go with a AT screen most of your problems will be solved...

We are so happy we got a large AT screen. Our center is a Belle, but slightly modified, with the same 401 midrange horn our flanking Khorns have, with the Belle high hat rebuilt to accomodate the horn, and to aim it and the tweeter down a little, right at the one-row audience. It works great.

If you end up with three La Scalas and an AT screen you will be pleased.

Next step: Audyssey, or something similar, if you don't have it already.

• Like 1

Mike me and you have been on a crazy upgrade path as of late adding screens speakers and toys why don’t you just do what I’m going to do. My wife tells me all the time to just get a nice mattress and put it in the rear of the IMAX theater and live there. Going to mattress firm this weekend… I live about 2 miles from the IMAX in Charleston… and done!

• Moderators
If your doing all of this you might as well get the size screen you really want.

Yes, if I'm going to go to move to 3 LaScalas up front, I think it would be best to go ahead and make the screen huge. Big Sound + Big Screen = Big Smile :D

You won't be sorry, 3 across the front sounds amazing, I only heard it once but it was impressive.

I'm not sure why but why am I hesitating on this? I know I'm often indecisive at times and I tend to over analyze things and over plan and over think things.....maybe because this isn't a small upgrade. Going to 3 LaScalas is going to be a big undertaking (although it would be fun).

If you go with a AT screen most of your problems will be solved...

I love the idea of having an AT screen. I'll likely make it out of spandex like WakeJunkie did with his. His screen looks amazing. I will compare pricing between Spandex and Seymour AT Fabric.

We are so happy we got a large AT screen.

How large is your room and what size screen did you end up with? If you had to do it again, would you go bigger, smaller or keep it the same?

It works great.

Somehow I can help but think you are being a bit modest here. ;)

If you end up with three La Scalas and an AT screen you will be pleased.

I keep hearing that but why am I still hesitating? I just need to pull the trigger on the single LaScala and then make plans with Wake to begin designing a new front wall using a much larger AT Screen. I have some calculating to do to see how large of a screen I can go with my current projector. Would love to get a brighter one but that's just another upgrade I don't need to spend money on right now.

Next step: Audyssey, or something similar, if you don't have it already.

I've actually never owned a receiver with Audessey. I've owned Yamaha (YPAO), Onkyo (Pre-Audessey), Emotiva (EmoQ) and Harman Kardon (EZSet/EQ). Heard lots of great things about it. I have a friend that has an Onkyo TX-NR1008 for sale that I could probably buy pretty cheap. It doesn't have Audessey XT but it does have Audessey MultEQ. Is that good?

Going to mattress firm this weekend… I live about 2 miles from the IMAX in Charleston… and done!

That's too funny bro. :lol: I'll let you give it a try first before I do.... :P