Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

• Moderators
If you're building this by yourself and it's your first build, build the F-20.

I'll likely build it with Wake. Together we can knock it out in no time.

It's hands down the easier of the two to build. It's not even close. Performance difference is splitting hairs from what I've read.

If performance in the THT is better, I would prefer to go that route. I'll do some research to see what I can find.

• Like 1

HERE'S An easy build with a choice of reasonably priced drivers. 115dB @ 16 Hz. 129 dB at 65Hz. 2 things to consider. Tapped horns need low and high pass filters. Lil-mike designed horns (F-20, Lil-wrecker) are generally much easier to build than BFM horns, at least that's been my experience.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice so I won't roil the waters further. All are DIY Michael, you need to get your hands dirty and make some saw dust. Subwoofers just sound better if you make them yourself ;)

Ah, yes, Beranek's Law.

Another horn to throw in the mix, the LAB-12 tapped horn. This will go lower than the THT or F-20 and is a relatively easy build.

I built one of those as a "coffed table sub" whan I was in a condo. When I moved, I was able to corner load it. Is is ruler flat at the mouth between 20-60 Hz. It will go lower when corner loaded, down to about 16 Hz., BUT like the DTS-10, it should be crossed at 60 Hz.

These certainly Danley DTS-10's and the main reason why I had to design and build Quarter Pie bass/midbass horns to go between those and K-402's.

Having built and/or owned them all, along with and about a dozen LaScalas over the years, the ONLY sub I would use with a factory LaScala is a Tuba HT.

I think one will suffice. Tonight, my wife was headed to bed and she text me to see if I could turn it down in the HT. Sub was off and volume was at -40dB. If I were to build (2) DTS10's, I might be looking for a new home to live in.

Which is why I no longer have a wife. I hear she is now married to a guy with a Bose setup. LOL.

• Like 1

If not, the RSW-15 will be great for now.

Yes it will, you have a lot already lined up. You could always go back to the sub later.

If I remember correctly the spud didn't cost over $200 including plain birch plywood, diy of course. Other models more because of more expensive drivers, but still a lot less than new prices.

It would pay very well to learn a little woodworking, if it's something you have considered ?

I want to know where you get your plywood! The drivers are about $180/pair.

the ONLY sub I would use with a factory LaScala is a Tuba HT.

This is your recommendation for a HT set up?

Or the Low Profiile version or the F-20. NOT a tapped horn, it won't cross high enough (60-70 tops) and a LaScala needs a solid 100 Hz. xover because it's NOT a horn below 105 Hz. This is why I designed my Quarter Pies. Same driver, but now we have a woofer section that mates with any tapped horn. Otherwise, go with a full horn like the THT, THTLP or F-20. If you look at my comparison curves below, you can see how much bass is missing in a LaScala in order to meet up at 50-60 hz. for any kind of tapped horn.

post-20774-0-78640000-1401490237_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• Moderators
I want to know where you get your plywood! The drivers are about $180/pair.

I used plan birch plywood because it's hidden but the drivers were less that half of that. They were from parts express, I went back to check and the price has gone up a lot since I bought a few years ago, there almost $80 now ! :oTang Band W8-740P 8"

Wish I had bought 2 extra now for another sub. :(

• Moderators
The price of drivers is skyrocketing lately.

I don't remember exactly how much but I am positive it was under $100 for two, I think it was like $75 for both.

I do not remember when I built it, I tried to look for the thread and can't find it, it's been a few years.

When I said under $200 in that post, I thought I was WAY over really, I think with the wood the total was like $125, because I was thinking if this design don't work out it was not a big deal.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

Honestly, I'm more confused than ever lol. I've been reading every thread I can find. I emailed mike some questions about the F20.. Finding a prebuilt THT would save us a lot of time building one. If we didn't have the entire false wall and custom screen to build as well, it wouldn't be a big deal.

How does the F20 compare performance wise to the THT?

• Moderators

I dunno...newer speakers sure made an impact on me. Sold the RF83, sold the RC64, redesigning my entire front wall, upgrading my screen and sub all because of the differences the LaScalas were over the RF83s.

• Like 1