Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

• Moderators
I will build most of it after work when I can get time to do it. I plan to deliver a kit that we can install without spending to much time on it so we can spend the rest of the time enjoying it.

Smart, i'm really glad you can help Youthman, I would hate to see him stuck with off the shelf subs, he really needs a good horn to shake his house.

• Moderators
It will take a few weeks to build, but not all onsite. I will build most of it after work when I can get time to do it. I plan to deliver a kit that we can install without spending to much time on it so we can spend the rest of the time enjoying it.

I'm truly blessed. Can't wait to see this come to life in my HT.

• Moderators
I would hate to see him stuck with off the shelf subs, he really needs a good horn to shake his house.

Shhhhhhhh......don't tell my wife. She already thinks the bass is too much with just the RSW-15. :D

• Moderators

Dtel, that's a great idea! You could drive to Wake's and ride down together. I'll supply the YooHoo's, comfy theater chairs to sleep in and plenty of tunes while we work. :D

Just kidding, no way, I know for a fact your wife can run faster and further than me, I wouldn't stand a chance when we started tearing up that room to redo it. I wouldn't even try to run it would be a waist of time and the running would just make her day and kill me anyway.

• Moderators
I would hate to see him stuck with off the shelf subs, he really needs a good horn to shake his house.

Shhhhhhhh......don't tell my wife. She already thinks the bass is too much with just the RSW-15. :D

I hear the RSW 15 is good but suspect she will notice a difference, bet she gets a little air off the chair at the first big bass sound, then the look, you know the look. :huh:

• Moderators
Shameless plug but I wanted to ensure someone is this forum saw it...hope Amy does not

Shame on you. :P

Well, the two potential options to barter custom website design for either a TubaHT or a Danley DTS10 or DTS20 did not work out.

The Danley subs are WAY above what I could ever justify spending on a sub. Even at $1000 barter value for the website, I would still be over $2000 out of pocket for the DTS10 or DTS20 (and that's without an amp).

Even for the less expensive THSpud, after the barter, I would still be out of pocket $1375 (without an amp). The only options I would be within my budget would be the THMini $500 out of pocket and the CS30 $725 out of pocket but the THMini only has two 8" woofers and the THMini only plays down to 41Hz and the CS30 only down to 27Hz.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what direction I should be going now.

• Like 1

Shameless plug but I wanted to ensure someone is this forum saw it...hope Amy does not

Shame on you. :P

Well, the two potential options to barter custom website design for either a TubaHT or a Danley DTS10 or DTS20 did not work out.

The Danley subs are WAY above what I could ever justify spending on a sub. Even at $1000 barter value for the website, I would still be over $2000 out of pocket for the DTS10 or DTS20 (and that's without an amp).

Even for the less expensive THSpud, after the barter, I would still be out of pocket $1375 (without an amp). The only options I would be within my budget would be the THMini $500 out of pocket and the CS30 $725 out of pocket but the THMini only has two 8" woofers and the THMini only plays down to 41Hz and the CS30 only down to 27Hz.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what direction I should be going now.

Look for a used set or DIY your own. I paid $1700 for 2 DTS-10 subs delivered from Arizona to Northern California. If it would have been local they were only $1500 for the pair. As far as an amp... You won't need much. I think Claude is using an Adcom 555 stereo amp for his DTS-10s.

Man i would be patient and wait for some dts10's to be available. Its not about them being so loud its about the efficiency and match in sound. Claude has 1 in front and one in back of the room. It is just smooth and very good in a home theater matching 3 way klipsch horn systems. Dts10's are super lifelike. worth waiting a year if need be for a match in a ht such as yours.

• Like 1

building them would be simple from what i seen although i would need a woodsmith for help no doubt. i understand you may not want to give up your current subs before you have new ones in place and have your preferred results although if you were to off one of them you would still have the other then have bank for the build...building them dont look difficult although building them is territory i could not approach personally. I was truly impressed at claudes when demoing them and the rest of his setup. They imo are a must have in a full horn setup. mighty, mighty impressive. And like was mentioned a small amp will do fine. They are not loud as much as effective imo. They are just an ultra fine home theater sub. wake would be prime for this build i would imagine.

• Like 1

I don't mind waiting, just not sure these type subs ever come available in the used market? I just searched nationwide for Danley Sub and got zero results.

Remember how you were worried about finding a 3rd La Scala...

• Moderators

Haha true.....thought it would take forever to locate a single LaScala and Billy hooked me up with his within 2-3 weeks of me saying that.

Maybe you could get Wake to build you a pair....

I think one will suffice. Tonight, my wife was headed to bed and she text me to see if I could turn it down in the HT. Sub was off and volume was at -40dB. If I were to build (2) DTS10's, I might be looking for a new home to live in. :D

• Like 1

Haha true.....thought it would take forever to locate a single LaScala and Billy hooked me up with his within 2-3 weeks of me saying that.

Maybe you could get Wake to build you a pair....

I think one will suffice. Tonight, my wife was headed to bed and she text me to see if I could turn it down in the HT. Sub was off and volume was at -40dB. If I were to build (2) DTS10's, I might be looking for a new home to live in. :D

My wife will sit and watch a movie with me and then when she goes to bed she will tell me it is too loud when the volume is -30... I tell her that she was listening to it earlier at the same level or even -20 and she won't believe me. I can't wait to get the new HT room done... I just hope that we are doing a good enough job at the soundproofing.

You only need 2 for smoothing the bass throughout the HT... Not for volume. :At least that is why I am doing it.

Edited by ellisr63

Youth not sure where you looked nationwide but I'm guessing on craigslist. Keep in mind the caliber of people who would sell an item that large and also keep in mind who would buy it. Not the average joe. I have seen a few for sale in the last 8 months on the Avs classifieds. What about something like a cinema F-20? Or a micro wrecker? Both are lil mike designed and seem to get crazy good reviews. Plans are readily available and I bet wake could easily build on of them. And wouldn't cost you near as much.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Time to bust out the skillsaw.

Yes, I think I'm back to building a THT.

Youth not sure where you looked nationwide but I'm guessing on craigslist.

Of course. Is there anywhere else to look? :P

I do have the plans for the F-20. I'll have to compare the size and specs of it vs the THT.

If you're building this by yourself and it's your first build, build the F-20. It's hands down the easier of the two to build. It's not even close. Performance difference is splitting hairs from what I've read. You could build 2 F-20's in less time than one THT.

• Like 1