Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

Then I can evaluate what I have and see if I feel that the RSW-15 is lacking in any capacity or does not meet my needs.

It's impossible to know what you're lacking until you hear otherwise. Were your previous speakers lacking?

• Like 1

• Moderators
Were your previous speakers lacking?

At the time I wasn't aware they were lacking. The center channel hasn't been the clearest but I attributed it to being so high up (nearly 8ft off the ground angled down towards my LP). The mains seemed great.

I initially purchased the LaScalas simply because they were at a ridiculous price, it was a no brainer to purchase. My intent was to buy them, play with them for maybe a few months and then pass them along to someone who would enjoy them hopefully for years to come. I really had no thought of keeping them.....until I heard them. It was at that point that I realized that the LaScalas had a sound that was so much cleaner and precise compared to the RF-83's. I believe this is partly due to the signature sound of the RF-83's. I've always shared that the RF-83's have a very laid back sound. They are not overly bright at all but they do produce great highs and are very clear. Then when I purchased the third LaScala from Billy, once I heard three identical speakers up front, it was truly a fantastic experience. A beautiful wall of sound with seamless transition between speakers. Imaging is fantastic. With the center speaker turned off, there were several times I got up to listen to the center LaScala to make sure it was turned off.

I guess it goes back to I didn't know what I was missing.

Were your previous speakers lacking?

I guess it goes back to I didn't know what I was missing.

We should finish your front wall and let you hear my IB next time you get up here. By then you won't have so much on your plate and can focus on what you want in a sub.

Don't worry guys....once he hears my IB he will join us on the dark side....(insert evil laugh)

• Like 1

• Moderators
We should finish your front wall and let you hear my IB next time you get up here. By then you won't have so much on your plate and can focus on what you want in a sub.

Yeah, I've been swamped with work and haven't been able to devote as much time to thinking through the redesign like I would want to.

Youth if you ask me keep what you have. Your very happy with it and it more than you need.

I am very happy with the performance of the RSW-15. "More than I need" is relative. LOL

What am I missing?

That's the question I'm asking myself..."What am I missing" that I can get with an IB or Horn loaded sub. :lol: Honestly, I think I just got excited that I'm making HUGE changes in my front wall, why not do the sub at the same time but Shaun and I have plenty to work on without adding a sub to the mix. Plus if I do it all now, it won't leave room for new projects in the future.

It's probably best that I focus on building the front wall, building the 140" - 150" screen, moving the projector back a few feet, getting the LaScalas behind the wall, adding some accent lighting behind the screen so I can "reveal" the LaScalas without having to raise the screen. Then I can evaluate what I have and see if I feel that the RSW-15 is lacking in any capacity or does not meet my needs.

LS- THX-LS-THX-LS is a damn near perfect setup. I use Klipsch THX subs with my LS, have them double stacked, in a corner, behind one of the mains. Crossover at 100.

I've yet to hear the THX subs. MichaelandKlipsch has 4 of them in his setup. Might could buy two of his when he upgrades his setup in the future.

Youthman... If you get a AVR with Audyssey XT32 you can set the bass at night to not go through the walls and when you want to have maximum effect turn off the feature. This way you can have the deep deep bass, and also have a happy wife.

Seriously? How does that work? Very interesting if it can do that.

I live in a stone house on two acres - for the neighbor's own protection!

That's funny Michael. :lol:

Plus you might be able to enjoy each upgrade more if you do things separate.

Youth if you ask me keep what you have. Your very happy with it and it more than you need.

I am very happy with the performance of the RSW-15. "More than I need" is relative. LOL

What am I missing?

That's the question I'm asking myself..."What am I missing" that I can get with an IB or Horn loaded sub. :lol: Honestly, I think I just got excited that I'm making HUGE changes in my front wall, why not do the sub at the same time but Shaun and I have plenty to work on without adding a sub to the mix. Plus if I do it all now, it won't leave room for new projects in the future.

It's probably best that I focus on building the front wall, building the 140" - 150" screen, moving the projector back a few feet, getting the LaScalas behind the wall, adding some accent lighting behind the screen so I can "reveal" the LaScalas without having to raise the screen. Then I can evaluate what I have and see if I feel that the RSW-15 is lacking in any capacity or does not meet my needs.

LS- THX-LS-THX-LS is a damn near perfect setup. I use Klipsch THX subs with my LS, have them double stacked, in a corner, behind one of the mains. Crossover at 100.

I've yet to hear the THX subs. MichaelandKlipsch has 4 of them in his setup. Might could buy two of his when he upgrades his setup in the future.

Youthman... If you get a AVR with Audyssey XT32 you can set the bass at night to not go through the walls and when you want to have maximum effect turn off the feature. This way you can have the deep deep bass, and also have a happy wife.

Seriously? How does that work? Very interesting if it can do that.

I live in a stone house on two acres - for the neighbor's own protection!

That's funny Michael. :lol:

I think it turns down the bass, and cuts the deep bass, but this is what the website says... Audyssey LFC (Low Frequency Containment) provides a full range tonal balance for late-night listening that minimizes the intrusion of deep bass content into adjacent rooms or spaces.

Edited by ellisr63

Gotcha, sounds like it either is cutting off the lower frequencies or changing the EQ settings to reduce the lower frequencies.

Yes, but it is nice that it can do it for you with one click. :)

• Moderators

Most definitely....I was just curious how it worked. Very cool feature indeed. I've seen the "Night" feature on some receivers. Probably does something similar. It just threw me off when you said Audessey could prevent bass from travelling through walls.

Then I can evaluate what I have and see if I feel that the RSW-15 is lacking in any capacity or does not meet my needs.

It's impossible to know what you're lacking until you hear otherwise. Were your previous speakers lacking?

This is the biggest stumbling block when it comes to upgrading speakers,with so many choices and opinions not to mention we all hear things a little differently. Over the years have built a dozen or so pairs of speakers most all of them mulit range. Now focused on finding and building a pair of horn subs to compliment our custom built LaScalla Pro's. Will be previewing a couple different sets of BFM subs next week. After that will focus on the midrange using horns as well.

Have to add that without the forums the search for the right combo's would be next to impossible. Thank you all.

Mike

Now focused on finding and building a pair of horn subs to compliment our custom built LaScalla Pro's

See the "Been there done that" thread in the subwoofer section. These are being built to go under Lascalas.

Sure liked reading about the track saw may have to look into that when the time comes. Those horns you had there sure have the curiosity juices flowing. Yes, the plan is to use the LaScalla's with horn subs at first searching for the sound and control of it. Also have Heresy's and Peavey's with mid horns I like. In the end will find the right combo, even if it means building more speakers particularly the mid-ranges.

Next week am going to an event the soundman is bringing a couple different Bill Fitzmaurice subs for me to preview.