Recommended sub for LaScala Trios

Youthman

We can definitely knock it out. Building isn't the problem. Deciding is. I still think an attic IB should still be in the running.

Youthman is lucky to have a friend like you. :emotion-21:

About the last part of what you said, I would have to say YES.........but it's not my wife or house so

I feel just as blessed. Friendship is a two way street.

• Like 1

How high do the IBs go as far as frequency range?

I know 70 Hz isn't a problem for mine. This is with no room treatment and my RF-7ii's turned off. There are some room nulls causing some of these dips. Other locations in the room showed increases in areas this spot had dips so I am sure properly places acoustic treatment could help flatten things out. Crossover was set at 80.

I would have to do another sweep with the crossover higher to know for sure.

Beanbag%20spl%20no%20treatment.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

• Moderators
I know 70 Hz isn't a problem for mine....I would have to do another sweep with the crossover higher to know for sure.

I know Claude mentioned I need a sub that is capable of handling close to 100Hz to match well with the LaScalas since they play down around 70Hz. I might not need to xover as high as 100Hz but I'm guessing at least 80Hz would be required?

Absolutely. The false wall would need to be secure as well.

What do you mean by "secure"?

Shawn has you covered no worries. False walls or drop ceilings can shake or flail with an IB. You're basically going to be sitting in a subwoofer box. Any walls or doors that aren't secure will be moving.

Shawn has you covered no worries. False walls or drop ceilings can shake or flail with an IB. You're basically going to be sitting in a subwoofer box. Any walls or doors that aren't secure will be moving.

This would go for any high output sub, IB or otherwise. A pair of 18's will shake things when cranked. That is how it is supposed to be.

You just shouldn't hear the shake....just the sound.

We will go through that low frequency test CD and find any rattles and fix them.

This would go for any high output sub, IB or otherwise.

Not really. An IB will flex windows in the back of a house due to the fact that the drivers are sealed to a wall. Every time the driver goes in, it creates a negative pressure on the inside of the house. Every time it goes out, it creates a positive pressure on the inside of the house. Conventional subs don't act that way. They'll vibrate things sure but they don't change pressure in the house like an IB. The better your house is sealed, the more pronounced the effect.

I don't know about that. My quad 18's sure do change pressure in my room. Lol

I would think so! Sealed subs are similar to an IB but you don't have to worry about the back wave. The house pressure differential is there but to a lesser degree. It's certainly felt in the room however.

You go inside the house and it sounds like the walls are coming down.

Unfortunately, in my house there is such a thing as having too much bass.....at least for my wife. She already thinks the RSW-15 is too much bass. :P

Youth if you ask me keep what you have. Your very happy with it and it more than you need. What am I missing?

Unfortunately, in my house there is such a thing as having too much bass.....at least for my wife. She already thinks the RSW-15 is too much bass. :P

Youth if you ask me keep what you have. Your very happy with it and it more than you need. What am I missing?

I think Youth is in a dilemma....

He wants the Sub 20Hz LFE that the RSW-15 can't deliver, but he likes his wife and wants to keep her also.

The RSW-15 is more than sufficient when the kids are in bed and Wife is home.

Maybe he should consider having two subs. The RSW-15 or less expensive sub to use when cranking isn't an option.

When those glorious moments arise to let the speakers breath he can turn off the baby sub and fire up the big boys.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of the RSW AND the IB. Slam along with infrasonics. Worst case scenario, turn the IB off as you've stated or at least be sure that the IB amp is located in a spot that's easy to get to so that it can be turned down.

I think Youth is in a dilemma....

He wants the Sub 20Hz LFE that the RSW-15 can't deliver, but he likes his wife and wants to keep her also.

The RSW-15 is more than sufficient when the kids are in bed and Wife is home.

Maybe he should consider having two subs. The RSW-15 or less expensive sub to use when cranking isn't an option.

When those glorious moments arise to let the speakers breath he can turn off the baby sub and fire up the big boys.

Lmao so true for us all :)

Youthman... If you get a AVR with Audyssey XT32 you can set the bass at night to not go through the walls and when you want to have maximum effect turn off the feature. This way you can have the deep deep bass, and also have a happy wife. :)

That's what the volume know is for. It goes up AND down. I'm sure there's times when she's not around ;)

I live in a stone house on two acres - for the neighbor's own protection!

• Like 2

• Moderators
Youth if you ask me keep what you have. Your very happy with it and it more than you need.

I am very happy with the performance of the RSW-15. "More than I need" is relative. LOL

What am I missing?

That's the question I'm asking myself..."What am I missing" that I can get with an IB or Horn loaded sub. :lol: Honestly, I think I just got excited that I'm making HUGE changes in my front wall, why not do the sub at the same time but Shaun and I have plenty to work on without adding a sub to the mix. Plus if I do it all now, it won't leave room for new projects in the future.

It's probably best that I focus on building the front wall, building the 140" - 150" screen, moving the projector back a few feet, getting the LaScalas behind the wall, adding some accent lighting behind the screen so I can "reveal" the LaScalas without having to raise the screen. Then I can evaluate what I have and see if I feel that the RSW-15 is lacking in any capacity or does not meet my needs.

LS- THX-LS-THX-LS is a damn near perfect setup. I use Klipsch THX subs with my LS, have them double stacked, in a corner, behind one of the mains. Crossover at 100.

I've yet to hear the THX subs. MichaelandKlipsch has 4 of them in his setup. Might could buy two of his when he upgrades his setup in the future.

Youthman... If you get a AVR with Audyssey XT32 you can set the bass at night to not go through the walls and when you want to have maximum effect turn off the feature. This way you can have the deep deep bass, and also have a happy wife.

Seriously? How does that work? Very interesting if it can do that.

I live in a stone house on two acres - for the neighbor's own protection!

That's funny Michael. :lol:

• Like 1