I found a new amp?

zingo

I have been looking for a great 2-channel amp for a while, and tried a number of offerings, but finally found one that made me do a double take because I could get it at a good price. It has everything I've been looking for (high current, 2 ohm stable, high power, auto-on trigger, tested design, XLR inputs, good reviews) and seems like a great pairing with my speakers, but it has 7 channels! If this was the exact same amp only stereo, I would have no hesitation, but I feel weird having unused amp channels. Wouldn't that mean more power supply available for the two used channels?

Anyway, it's a Sunfire TGA-7400, and I'm having a bugger of a time figuring out if I want to try it on my stereo, 4 ohm Jamo speakers...

• Like 1

Bridge the channels for more power if it has the capability. The 2ohm rating is only for short durations not continuous. It has special outputs for tube like sound quality. It is a beast at 400W x 7 - Wow! I thought my Sherbourn was a monster with 300W x7 @ 4Ohms.

Only very few amps out there that can handle a steady 2Ohm load. I use an OSD Audio 2 channel amp for my front effects that can handle it. My DBX BX-1's were capable of 1Ohm loads.

don't bridge you don't need more power and a lot of amps can sound poor when they are bridged though I imagine the amp in question is fine in bridged mode. Rather use the extra channels to bi amp your speakers. That will by you much better quality of sound than bridging will. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks ya'll! I will give it a try, and see how those two channels sound on my Jamo speakers. (I know they are not Klipsch, but owned under the same group... :P ) The speakers aren't bi-wireable unfortunately as the two sets of inputs are for freestanding and wall placement; two different crossovers. However, that power should allow enough headroom anyway; 800w RMS at 4ohm nominal impedance.

• Like 1

Two different crossovers for different placement that is interesting and useful but since you are paying for two that meand both are half the quality that one good one would be so it is a "that's good, no that's bad" situation. I would suggest that once you know which network you will be using for the long run then disconnect the other from your speaker if that is not the case to begin with. You do not want a secondary network hanging off your speakers. If the second network is totally disengaged then no worries. Best regards Moray James.

I would also suggest that you install shorting plug into the unused inputs as this will reduce noise in your amp.

• Moderators
I know they are not Klipsch, but owned under the same group...

I have only had a chance to hear one pair of Jamo speakers, I don't remember which ones, they were small bookshelf size and they were VERY impressive.

Good thought about the crossovers, and I'll have see how they're wired as I've only had them wall mounted; 50lbs each and with french cleats no less!

All of the drivers are Vifa, seem to be very high quality, and they do sound great!

• 1 month later...

I finally pulled the speakers off the walls today to look at the crossovers, and I forgot how large they are! I loose perspective with them hanging on the wall, but pulling them off the french cleats was a quick reminder. The crossovers are actually very well done, in that the freestanding input houses most of the crossover, and the wall mount input only adds two caps to raise the rolloff point of the speaker. Add to that the tweeter, mid woofers, and bass woofers are all isolated from eachother, and the Made In Denmark sticker must be real.

post-41407-0-57700000-1406403583_thumb.j