Something New In Vinyl? The Ultra LP

thebes

Bryan, and here I thought you only liked Icky Thump

Hey Joe!

Nah... I was just on an 'Icky Thump' binge and wanted to show off the great pressing and sound quality (mastered by Steve Hoffman) to you and anyone else who came around. At least you seemed to enjoy yourself - can't say the same for every poor bast@#d that happened by. Not everyone can appreciate the music I like... go figure! Come to think about it, I don't recall you running out and buying all that great progressive music I forced you to listen to either. :rolleyes:

The White Stripes had kinda moved away from their earlier sound (especially with 'Elephant' and then 'Get Behind Me Satan') but for whatever reason, IT looped back to the early days and Jack and Meg reinvigorated the sound. I was just excited but then, you should be quite used to my 'heavy rotation' quirks by now.

Not really sure why, but haven't taken the time to visit the forum in quite some time until today.

How wild is it that I would find this thread. I keep running into Jack here in Nashville, on the Tonight show the last two times I tuned in at random.

Jack is such a free spirit, willing to try just about anything and so much of it works.

Frank Zappa is smiling!

Its a fun album - good music but not quite up to 'Blunderbuss'... yet. His music is varied and eclectic so I always have to give Jack's albums some time to sink in but if you like his approach to music, you'll enjoy 'Lazaretto'. The many gimmicks may get in the way but then, I think Jack was just trying to add to the vinyl experience. All the pressing devices have been used in the past - even the floating angels but maybe not combined on 1 record before now.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of playing the record and even then, you may find it all a bit too much work just to listen to the music - of course, the CD/download plays straight through. I find it interesting (disturbing?) that the record comes with no instructions. If you came to it blindly, you'd have no way of knowing how to play it and in a fit of frustration, probably throw it out as junk. Of course, that may be Jack's sense of humor coming through. Another thing to note is that the 78 and 45rpm tracks under the label are not needle-friendly and I do not recommend tracking through them with an expensive cart - besides, there's not much there to enjoy. Also, the records were pressed at United in Nashville and that's rarely a good thing as their quality control is spotty so expect a few pops and ticks and other pressing problems (off-center, warped, etc). Even if you get a clean copy, expect a 'bump' on the dual groove track (starts out acoustic or electric depending on where you drop the needle, then both come together) as the grooves merge.

More info here... http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/jack-whites-lazaretto-ultra-lp/#continued

Aside form that, the record is loads of FUN! Buy it as a conversation piece to impress your friends.. and the music's great too. BTW, Jack White is touring this summer and puts on a great show - gotta catch him live.

--BTW, Marty he's playing Merriweather in September - tix went on sale this morning (Fri June 13th)--

Sorry guys but I got real busy and this thread somehow slipped away on me.

Thanks Brian, as well as the rest of the gang, for your comments and info.

Doubt if I'll be able to make his September show, since I'm saving my ducats to go see Chris Issac at the Birchmere in September, and his tickets are silly pricey.

Thebes,

I did not think the day would ever come that you steered me wrong....While the features are cool this is the most god awful music I have ever subject my gear, speakers and most importently my ears too!

I still love ya brother!

Thebes,

I did not think the day would ever come that you steered me wrong....While the features are cool this is the most god awful music I have ever subject my gear, speakers and most importently my ears too!

I still love ya brother!

Cheez Craig, are you so busy doing the organizational scutwork to establish the Upper Peninsula Club for Hilary 2016 that you can't even read a post?

I shall reiterate the very first sentence of this post:

"Jack White, a musician whom I'm not familiar with has released a new album and is issuing it on what he calls the Ultra LP."

Now for folks like me,whenever I'm unfamiliar with an artist, I'm sure to stop by an obscure little website called Utube, or something like that,. I then listen to the artist I have in mind, before I plunk down my hard earned ducats on artists that do not meet my lofty standards.

I suggest you develop similar standards and employ them before lest you waste funds that could be better employed in furthering what you should really be concentrating on, and that the goals of the Club For Thebes 2016.

Edited by thebes

Thebes,

I still love ya brother!

Cheez Craig, are you so busy doing the organizational scutwork to establish the Upper Peninsula Club for Hilary 2016 that you can't even read a post?

I shall reiterate the very first sentence of this post:

"Jack White, a musician whom I'm not familiar with has released a new album and is issuing it on what he calls the Ultra LP."

Now for folks like me,whenever I'm unfamiliar with an artist, I'm sure to stop by an obscure little website called Utube, or something like that,. I then listen to the artist I have in mind, before I plunk down my hard earned ducats on artists that do not meet my lofty standards.

I suggest you develop similar standards and employ them before lest you waste funds that could be better employed in furthering what you should really be concentrating on, and that the goals of the Club For Thebes 2016.

So Marty does that mean you want to buy the LP from me ;)

Craig,

Sorry to hear JW's not your cup o' tea but then, there's plenty of room for all types of music and tastes in the world. I will say that in my past experience it takes a few plays to really come around to JW's latest offering. With his last album 'Blunderbuss', it took maybe 3 or 4 listens for it to click with me and the same is true for most of the White Stripe albums (and pretty much any artist who tends to change their style or approach often).

To anyone else, I'd suggest giving the LP a couple more spins but if its that painful an experience for you, just let it go - you're not required to like everybody... and the world will keep spinning. After all, 'Lazeretto' was Billboard's #1 in its first week and sold more records than any other release since 1993 so there's some folks out there who enjoy it.

Edited by JBryan

Ahh he'll I'll give to you just so I never make the mistake of dropping a needle on it again ;)

Old nook of the north Craig can't hang with Jack.......................He can take some getting used to

Bryan, I like most of the stuff you play, I have to pass on Flaming Lips though (don't tell Roshi, Hope I spelled that right)

Bryan, I like most of the stuff you play, I have to pass on Flaming Lips though (don't tell Roshi, Hope I spelled that right)

No worries Joe. I have friends who request only classical, a couple who only listen to organ and one fella who'll only listen to Bach's music on organ. Needless to say, I don't pull out anything from Jack White or Flaming Lips when they visit...and that's OK - it gives me the chance to expose myself to music I'd rarely listen to on my own.

One of my best friends passed away recently and while we grew up sharing a love of music and attended so many live shows together, he definitely had his own tastes that for whatever reason, I appreciated but never embraced. After he passed away, I was going through my records looking for something to play and only then did I realize just how many records I had picked up over the years for the sole purpose of playing for him during his visits. We both held a passion for progressive music and his visits would usually coincide with a music festival (the annual NEARfest) or one of our favorite groups like King Crimson or Yes on tour and we would listen to plenty of that music during his stay. I would also play him albums (mostly new music) that I thought he might enjoy and records that I liked and thought he should. When I was looking through the stacks, it suddenly dawned on me just how many records I had picked up through the years just for his pleasure - particularly metal bands and groups like AC/DC. I'd never consciously play these albums myself but there they were - at least 50 records, purchased solely for his visits.

I started to put them aside to give to friends or Goodwill but then it occurred to me that it might be nice to keep a few around and play whenever I missed my friend. I guess my takeaway is that there's a power in music that extends beyond one's simple tastes or preference and though I may not fully appreciate the music itself, I can certainly enjoy the experience that comes with it. So Joe, I may not get into Steve Earle as much as you but I did enjoy going to his show with you and every so often, I'll pull out the album you gave me and take it all in - the music and our shared experience.

BTW, you got her name right (congrats!) and know that while Roshi and I like some of the same artists, our musical tastes differ greatly. For example, she prefers the early White Stripes albums while I like the later offerings and Jack's work after the WS and while she really loves some the Flaming Lips' output (particularly Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles..), she can't abide the early stuff nor their more recent efforts - all of which I prefer. The only thing we agree on with these artists is that they put on a great show.

Edited by JBryan
  • Like 1