What amp do you use with your Klipsch?

erdric

I'm just curious what amps people are using with their Klipsch. I've recently hooked up an old NAD amp to my Kg-3's. While it sounds pretty good I find that the setup is missing some of that dynamic sound that I love so much.

It got me thinking about amps that are considered warm, neutral, or bright. If I ever get off my butt and upgrade my receiver to separates I want to get an amp that will still give me the sound that I like. I think that would mean finding an amp that is either neutral or slightly bright.

What are you guys using? Does anyone use either Anthem or ATI amps?

I run a Carver Lightstar for my mains (Chorus II's) and Carver TFM 35x's for the center and surrounds. These particular Carver models, developed right before Bob left the company and it went defunct, are very smooth in the mids and uppers, and therefore are a good match with my Klipsch. Their sound has often been compared with that of a tube amp - kind of warm and laid back. I really enjoy them.

Regards,

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 07-21-2002 at 08:17 PM

Sonic Frontiers Amp 1 for fronts, Dynaco ST-70 MK II for rears (both are tube types), Outlaw 750 for second set of rears and center channel. The first two offer tube type warmth to the sound, their SS rectification is a plus for HT, because I get better bass impact. The Outlaw is very neutral in its sound reproduction, non-fatiguing, not harsh or bright like some SS amps.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 07-21-2002 at 10:18 PM

As my sig indicates, the McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe handles the two channel powering to my Fortes.

I have read that this line of amps is one of the next best things to tubes... I don't know about that, but I can say that the first time I fired up the 65-lb beast, I nearly cried. The sound compared to my pedestrian Carver amp was a revelation, and sparked an upgrade bug and renewed interest in music that I'm sure my wife still shakes her head over.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

I realy love the sound of my "RF3" with my "DENON PMA 2000". Before that, i had an "Audio-Research D200"(Modified) with a "NAD C160"(pre), but i really prefer the "DENON", the sound is more full and more pure.

Regards,

Freud,

• Like 1

I run an Onkyo M504 dual mono block for my front mains and everything else goes through my Denon AVR 3801. I am very pleased with the dynamic headroom my Onkyo provides my La Scala's.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

Was using all Parasound seperates until this tube bug bit hard.

2 channel AES-AE3 Preamp and Wright Sound WPA 3.5

HT Denon (It's been boxed up for a year). I was going to hook up my HT last weekend, but I changed out my Heresy's with my KLF 20's for a short test. Now I have to either find another pair of 20's or a pair of Cornwalls.

Now I have 3 KLF C7's laying around and no front speakers.

Danny

ADCOM amps usually don't mate well with Klipsch speakers. I've owned several solid state amps and like the 5/1500a Sherbourn. It's 5 monoblocks on one chasis all independent. They only share the power cord. The sound is wonderful. Amplifiers should be transparent and neutural. You may walso want to check into running tubes with your speakers. I've not heard them but it's still another option for you.

------------------

My" TARGET=_blank>www.nyonline.com/klipsch

My

Klipsch Page

As my signature indicates below, Consonance Ella w/EL34s on my Cornwalls. Before that, the Cornwalls were powered by a Parasound HCA-750A which was very clean and sounded very good. But there is nothing really like the sweet sound of tubes....

------------------

- 1980 Cornwalls

- Consonance Ella w/EL34s

- Bottlehead Foreplay w/all upgrades

- Philips CD360 into a SoundStream DAC-1

- Sansui TU-9500 Tuner

bigsexy1, The Adcom 5500 is an excellent amp. It's very quiet, with excellent low frequency extension, channel seperation, and is very quick. Apparently some of Adcoms older model amps were quite bright therefore everyone assumes they have never or will never match up well with Klipsch. Listen yourself and see if you have the opportunity.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

Denon 3802 for the Home Theatre. It is warm clean and more than enough power to make the plaster come off your walls turned up. It has all the basic sound HT effects...Dolby Digital, dts ex.etc etc... I am currently running 9 speakers off of it (Not a sub woofer yet) and it still cranks it out beautifully.

I might add, just in stereo mode too..With a pair of K Horns..it sounds fantastic. Nice, warm, clean, clear, and heart stopping dynamics.. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems that there is a lot of variety here. Shapeshifter's comment about the Outlaws neutrality stood out to me because ATI is the OEM for Outlaw and I'm interested in ATI. The more I read/listen the more I believe an amp that's the closest to neutral as possible may be the right choice for me.

Does anyone care to rate NAD's warmth relative to any of the following: Rotel, Denon, Outlaw, Marantz, Anthem

Another Outlaw 750 user here....

I would classify the Outlaw as neutral as well, as Wes already stated. It amplifies whatever you put through it, warts and all - as a good amp should. That said, I would stay in the neutral to warm group (amps that are "bright" can sound downright harsh with Klipsch).

The dynamics that you are missing may not necessarily be the fault of the amplifier - it could well be the preamplifier. I recently upgraded from an H/K receiver to a two year old Krell pre/pro, and it was like getting a whole new system. It made all of my gear sound better. Finding an amplifier and preamp combo that works well is the long term challenge. You can switch out amplifiers until your wallet is empty, without much good result, if the preamp isn't feeding it a good signal. So in the "long term", try to find a separates combo that works well.

I would say that the Outlaw and Rotel are neutral, the NAD slightly warm (similar to H/K), the Denon warm. No experience with Anthem whatsoever. The first four all can be good amps in a Klipsch system - I've heard good results from all of them. A good preamp sure helps.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Rega Planet CD Player - Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

Edric,

The ATI is a little better amp then the Outlaw which is also a great amp. They are made in the same factory but are not exactly the same. If you want a great SS amp you should checkout the Sherbourn 5/1500A amplifier. Go to www.sherbourn.com and read the reviews. Several reviewers compared it to the Outlaw and the ATI and the Sherbourn was always liked better. I have 2 Sherbourns and they are great sounding. Before that I had an Acurus, B&K, HK and like the Sherbourn best. However, the B&K was also a very sweet amp. I had the AV5000II which was a little light on power to driver 5 channels at once. With the Sherbourn (monoblocks) I could hear sounds coming from my rear speakers that I never heard with the B&K. Another great 5 channel amp is the 7250 but it's also more expensive.

------------------

This message has been edited by trader on 07-23-2002 at 09:03 PM