Decided I liked the "character" of my Cornwalls, no veneer for me

So I acquired a pair of 1983 Cornwall I cabinets (empty) CBR, a few weeks ago, and have been slowly but surely acquiring parts, starting the wiring process, and investigating my refinishing options, which included getting them veneered. Had two estimates for the veneer, nothing exotic, of $500 and $450 for the pair. Have given thought to sanding them down, stain, Watco, other oils...etc, etc.......

But then, an epiphany.....Why not (sort of) (cosmetically at least) LEAVE THEM ALONE???! Holy smokes, who woulda thought? Do I really like that almost golden brown toast colored cabinet...Yes. Do I think that the cigarette burns on the tops of both have some stories to tell....Yes. Do I really mind if they look kind of beat, have been through a lot, but still will play hard.....No. And especially since practically no one but me will see them....Will they become my favorites that I will take care of, and cherish, even though they are a little rough around the edges....No doubt.

So what the heck, I'll do my thing on the inside, make them sound great, and know that I resisted a primal urge to refinish on the outside, and left the beautiful patina alone, when it's the inner soul that really counts....

post-12530-0-10400000-1404356620_thumb.j

post-12530-0-59200000-1404356652_thumb.j

post-12530-0-44000000-1404356723_thumb.j

post-12530-0-85000000-1404356752_thumb.j

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963

Cool! Sometimes, as you said, damage has a story. And really when you close your eyes and listen to that beautiful sound it's not the cabinets you're thinking about.

• Like 1

that would be called a sleeper. I am all for the finest components you can afford no one was ever sorry that they bought the best. But unless you are drinking the kool-aid you can't tell me that the best components don't deserve the respect that a fine finish affords them. Tell me that you would rather look at your old beaters rather than these nice re veneered Cornwall's. I will believe you if you do I just want to make sure that you really mean it. All the best which ever way you go it's all good. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-67300000-1404371861_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

I buy and sell a lot of gear so I usually end up with "beaters" as they don't fetch near the price as something mint. Right now I'm "suffering" with a pretty rough set of Forte II's I picked up for $150... :unsure: I've been trying to decide whether or not to rattle can 'em or buy some peel n stick wrap to "dress them up" as I don't want to dump a bunch of money into them but would like to make them a little more presentable than they are. I was thinking about trying some of this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291101909525?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-58550-0-07800000-1404393650_thumb.j

You wouldn't have to worry about putting the first scratch on them either. Moving bumps???? No problem. Hit it with the vacuum cleaner??? No reason to cuss. I have a set of Cornscallas with cabinets that I'd rate at a 6 or 7 out of 10. They have Crites tweeters, Dave's Fastrac horns, new 5 way binding posts and Deans battery biased crossovers . I love them. I'm not scared to move them either.

• Like 1

Jim, I like the character, too; apply some Lemon Oil & let them go...do they have grilles?...

to me Decorators AREN'T...

but, we have twins 8 year olds Lee & Jackson, Sergeant Buddy (the Nat'l Guard Dog), along Katrina & Floridays (the Rat Patrol)...

Well, actually Moray, yes I would. While those above are "pretty" they seem a little sterile to me. I have others that are nicely rehabbed, so I'm not without eye candy, but I think I can enjoy my "beaters" too. They remind me of me.

The mid horns look too small. I say this partly in jest because I'm a bigger is better horn dude (K402). LOL.

I look at the LS's I just bought that are nearly perfect compared to the LS's I bought originally and "refinished." The refinished ones still have some dents and bruises but look more interesting that the new ones. Pristine in great, but older, less perfect cabs do indeed have "character."

• Like 1