You choose the music

muel

I won a $100 gift card at Amazon and I'm going to spend it all on music. I've bought a lot of music... especially over the last few years. I've found some good ones but there is never enough. I've gotten some great suggestions from many of you but I'd like to hear more of your opinions of some good quality recordings of some good performances. Mostly in the mood for Jazz or Blues right now... some piano, maybe some rock. Don't worry if it isn't for sale on Amazon or even in print... all good music is of interest!

• Moderators

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming.

Some good choices I hadn't thought of! What would be a good choice of Tab Benoit?

I'm hoping to find some more really high quality recordings with decent dynamic range! I get tired of good music ruined by lousy recording. Sometimes, I swear they must have recorded in a barrel. I'll listen to it anyway just because I like the performance but probably not as often.

Here are some examples of which I'd like to find good recordings (CD mostly but doesn't have to be):

Aaron Copland - I have quite a few various performances but the quality is low on all that I have heard. There are a lot out there and I'd like to narrow it down. "Fanfare..." should sound awesome on horns!

Billy Joel - Seems that the quality really varies between releases but most is not that great.

REM - Used to love the music but can't listen for long anymore.

Frank Sinatra and Johnny Mathis - For the wife but I can enjoy too.

U2 - Lousy recording was part of their "sound" I guess. Didn't mind it on the car radio at 18 though.

Ray Charles - "Modern Sounds in Country and Western" is decent. I have quite a few others... What is his best recording?

Louis Armstrong

Duke Ellington - I enjoy "This one's for Blanton" and "Side by Side". Others?

That's what I can think of right now. Catch me on another day and I'd have another list.

Edited by muel

Sometimes, I swear they must have recorded in a barrel.

There is a song by Queen off their A Night at the Opera album called Seaside Rendevouz. Freddie Mercury's voice was recorded, then replayed through a set of headphones that were put in a can with a microphone. What you hear on the LP is his voice being captured by the microphone in that can. I heard one of the engineers on that album say that back in those days (circa 1975) effects were not digital like is available today.

Edited by BigStewMan