Build me a subwoofer on Parts Express..

K5SS

Like the title says. Build me a subwoofer on parts express..

I own no saws or abilities to build a subwoofer true DIY style so I would like to know what you would build if you were me?

Requirements:

15" or under woofer

$800 or under

Prefer not to deal with painting or finishing

I am buying a house within the next year so I don't know the actual room size. I could even up my budget if duals are preferred (love symmetry).

Let's hear the opinions from people that know more than me!

Not sure what you can build without finishing it yourself. I think they sell finished boxes but only 12" and smaller. I am not a fan of diy unless you go with larger woofers. My vote is for 2 18 si drivers at 162 each right now plus shipping. Then two 4 cu ft sealed boxes. All you have to do it put it together and paint it. SOOOOO SIMPLE. I really think a ten year old could do it.

Scrappy lives on the heavy hitters side of town. He enjoys big/powerful subs, nothing wrong with that. Most people though, just don't want to give up the real estate for two 18" subs. If you are like me then you want a smaller sub. As always, it's about compromises. I use a 12" Klipsch sub and I'm real happy with that. Let's face it, a 12" or 15" sub and a 500watt plate amp kit from PE will do more than what 99% of folks will ever want or need.

Edited by JL Sargent

Scrappy offered up some solid advise. However, if you don't want to go with an 18" driver - the DA RSS390HF-4 is a solid 15" driver for $173. This leaves $627 remaining for an amp and enclosure.

Enclosure $90 plus shipping (the estimate to my house in MN was $23)

Amp or Amp2

Personally I would go with the second amp choice and add a MiniDSP for $105. Why? Two reasons, it's quieter and built for HT subs. Although the iNuke gets lots of love also, and it's save you a lot of money. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Total investment minus paint, PL Premium and speaker wire = $684

You could even build another matching sub and run it in parallel off the same amp. Paint, PL Premium and speaker wire will cost you less then $40. You save money. Painting is easy man, really. If you want a more durable finish look at Duratex. It'll cost you more, but looks really good.

• Like 1

Scrappy lives on the heavy hitters side of town. He enjoys big/powerful subs, nothing wrong with that. Most people though, just don't want to give up the real estate for two 18" subs. If you are like me then you want a smaller sub. As always, it's about compromises. I use a 12" Klipsch sub and I'm real happy with that. Let's face it, a 12" or 15" sub and a 500watt plate amp kit from PE will do more than what 99% of folks will ever want or need.

Not 99% of the people on this forum :)

• Like 5

i am on the heavy side. However I like I distorted bass. And to me when I look at drivers and a 12 is 150$ 15 is 170$ and 18 is 190$, to me if I have the room for 4cu ft box which I believe the foot print on the small side is 20x19. You get a lot more bang for your buck.

Probably not half on this forum, biggest limiting factors are budget and if you gave your gonads to her!

Roger

The PE 18 in. sub box is around the same size as most ID 15 in. sub Once you own an 18 in. sub it really is not that big. Low distortion and effortless performace are the hallmark of larger subs. Besides, a lot of Klipsch forum members like big speakers, lol.

• Like 3

Probably not half on this forum, biggest limiting factors are budget and if you gave your gonads to her!

Roger

I meant more than 1%. He had said that 99% would be fine and I was saying not 99% here.

Roger

I meant more than 1%. He had said that 99% would be fine and I was saying not 99% here.

I was agreeing with you.

Roger

if you gave your gonads to her!

Sorry, but having twin 18" subs puts you in the 1% category. Even on this forum LOL :rolleyes: Having a TSCM 7.4 system might mean your making up for something. I don't know.

Edited by JL Sargent

I need to be in the 10% category. Haha. I know Scrapp loves 18" but I only listen to movies at -15 max, basically a sissy around these parts.

Just messing around but I would imagine I can get a pretty serious sub/subs for $800. Trying to beat Rythmik's performance for roughly half the cost.

I will paint if need be. Thank you Rowan, I will look into those components in more depth tomorrow. Cheers!

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

for that Money, you could find an approved builder of the Tuba. there is at least one around these parts that i know of.

I'm guessing he doesn't want a 3'x3'x2' box sitting in his room. I'm building a THT right now, and man is it big.

I need to be in the 10% category. Haha. I know Scrapp loves 18" but I only listen to movies at -15 max, basically a sissy around these parts.

Just messing around but I would imagine I can get a pretty serious sub/subs for $800. Trying to beat Rythmik's performance for roughly half the cost.

I will paint if need be. Thank you Rowan, I will look into those components in more depth tomorrow. Cheers!

You bet!