Vinyl LPs Sales Increase Near 40%

Chris A

Thanks guys. It's really easy to dig in and put blinders on when you've got so many albums in a particular format - regardless of any sonic benefits or faults. I have 2,165 albums - all in the physical space of a 3.5" hard drive - so it's hard for me to justify the expense and physical storage requirements of switching to format such as vinyl or even CD's. Whatever sonic improvements which may exist simply aren't compelling enough to force a switch.

I own one AIX DVD-A. It is a 4 channel recording of chamber music. It was rave reviewed. It sounded awful. Not the fidelity, but the surround. Totally diffuse and nothing like the sense of space and sonic holography I seek.

Still seeking REAL high fidelity...and still enjoying vinyl in the meantime.

Dave

How many records do you guys own in your collection? What's the ratio between brand spanking new (artists get paid) vs. used (artists don't get paid)? How many years have you been collecting?

~300

Prolly 1:6

Since the late 70s

I own one AIX DVD-A. It is a 4 channel recording of chamber music. It was rave reviewed. It sounded awful. Not the fidelity, but the surround. Totally diffuse and nothing like the sense of space and sonic holography I seek.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a commonly held definition of what surround sound recordings should evoke in the average listener, with most surround sound recordings that I own or have heard use the surround channels ineffectively.

Too bad, really, since I believe that there is a lot more consensus on the part of average listeners of what they seek than from those folks mixing and mastering the recordings. It seems to me that creating a listening space should closely resemble the real-life sound field around the prime listener in the audience (or on stage with the musicians), not just synthetically manufactured 5.1 echo channels. But it usually takes a spatial microphone array of at least 4 microphones to achieve it in the finished product, perhaps even using binaural head-microphone techniques .

Edited by Chris A

Still seeking REAL high fidelity...and still enjoying vinyl in the meantime.

Dave

Every Quad recording I have sounds just the same as clicking on the 5 channel stereo option on my receiver with a 2 channel recording source. To me, it sounds like a mono channel piped through all the speakers.

Have prolly bought over 1500, 45 RPM, LP, 8 Track, Cassette, VHS, DVD, HD DVD & Blu ray.

Most of them new.

Less than 100 Used, where the Artist had Already been PAID.

Since the '60's.

How many records do you guys own in your collection? What's the ratio between brand spanking new (artists get paid) vs. used (artists don't get paid)? How many years have you been collecting?

Edited by Sancho Panza

• Moderators

I have been collecting since I was about 10, so about 40 years.

About 500 prerecorded reel to reel tapes, I started with about 25 from my Dad, and the remainder would be about 90/10. Some I purchased new when they were still available? Then, more recently some new ones from The Tape Project, but the vast majority used because they are not really made anymore like vinyl still is.

LPs, about 3,000 but I am going to downsize that down to 1,000 because of, as you say, the space. I would say at least 50 percent of those I bought new. I try to buy local whenever I can from my locally owned record store, whether new or used, and I try to find it new locally before looking elsewhere. I was able to get 2010 Zeppelin box set locally, I have Beatles mono set due out in September on preorder locally.

Now the big question, how many of those 2,165 LPs did you purchase? It seems like all of the digital files I have, maybe 30, we're a free down load, or included with an lp purchase. I wish I could convert all of this wax to digital, but it would just take an eternity and I am not going to kill myself to do it, I guess I just like being able to hold an lp or tape box and read the packaging.

Travis