Tannoy's anyone ? Must carry a heavy wallet.

deep3shot

Can these possibly sound so good they're worth anything close to $ 8950.00? This dude lives very near and I am tempted to give them a listen but he may need to move the decimal point one position to the left.

No affilliation blah blah blah

TANNOY 15" RED VINTAGE SPEAKER PAIR -0RIGINAL OWNER--PERFECT IN EVERY - $8950 (SPRING GROVE)

01111_lrJ27NFoFOQ_600x450.jpg
01111_lrJ27NFoFOQ_50x50c.jpg00Q0Q_bAldxzn5H4g_50x50c.jpg00p0p_3tNYmTXU1Q4_50x50c.jpg
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

condition: like new

1965 15" TANNOY DUAL CONCENTRIC RED MONITOR SPEAKERS

ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THESE WARM, VIVID SOUNDING SPEAKERS.
PURCHASED THEM IN THE THEN FAMOUS NEW YORK CITY ELECTRONICS DISTRICT.
THIS CONCENTRATION OF ELECTRONICS STORES LATER BECAME THE SITE OF THE WORLD TRADE CENTER TWIN TOWERS.

DRIVEN WITH A DYNO STEREO 70 TUBE AMP AND PREAMP---WHICH WE STILL HAVE. (DYNO SYSTEM IS NOW SOLD)
THE OILED WALNUT FINISH HAS BECOME MORE BEAUTIFUL WITH YEARS OF POLISHING AND CARE.
HAVE NOT PLAYED THAT MUCH SINCE WE RETIRED THE DYNO STEREO SYSTEM 30 YEARS AGO. .

Red Monitor. From my bit of research a few years back when I scored a pair of SRM12B studio monitors (similar or at one time called little red?) the 1960's vintage dual concentric drivers are the most desired. Mine are c1982 as best I can tell. Tannoy doesn't have complete records.

$9K seems crazy to me too. $900 I think you might be able to get your money back and maybe more? No idea really. The drivers might be worth close to $900 each? But this was a few years back.

It would be worth it to give them a listen. Cool drivers if the grills are removable.

And if Red Monitor, very pretty for studio monitors. My SRM12Bs have treble and some other control on the front and there's a good chance they came out of Michael Kelsey's studio in Lafayette Indiana. They do have very nice veneer.

Check the prices of the 15" dual concentric drivers on eBay.

Very similar if not the same driver used in larger home speakers such as the Westminster. I think the 12" in the SRM12B also used in home Edinburgh.

Yep.. I've never heard a pair, and wouldn't pay it for something so old. I see these drivers come up a lot. Go to eBay and type tannoy 15. You'll see some of the 15" woofers going for that all by themselves. I doubt he'll get that on Craigslist, but probably would on Agon.

Tannoy has a great name. Value? It's really more a matter of current market price and the only way I know how to find that is to research sale and asking prices for the same speaker in about the same condition and age. I'd love to get hold of a pair of Tannoy Westminsters but doubt that I could afford them. Happy hunting!!

Seems like certain older Tannoy models have become "collectible" and thus the goofy inflated prices. They do make some fine speakers though. I used to have a pair of their System 12 studio monitors, also duel concentric, which were quite nice and I was able to pick up used in the $400-500 range. Sold them when my K-horns came along.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

Can these possibly sound so good they're worth anything close to $ 8950.00? This dude lives very near and I am tempted to give them a listen but he may need to move the decimal point one position to the left.

No affilliation blah blah blah

TANNOY 15" RED VINTAGE SPEAKER PAIR -0RIGINAL OWNER--PERFECT IN EVERY - $8950 (SPRING GROVE)

01111_lrJ27NFoFOQ_600x450.jpg

I'm not so sure of this one......

MIM.gif