Interesting little setup

dtel

• Moderators

Wonder how this would sound, I really like the XDA-1 DAC sound, it's way better than I expected.

Mini 50 wpc amp $219 and the XDA-2 DAC/preamp $219, bet it would work great for a simple setup.

If nothing else if anyone wanted to try a DAC that can be used as a preamp this is a really good price.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/xda-2

• Moderators

No I have heard that before, the only thing I have ever tried was there first DAC, and I love it, it completely changed my sound for the better, and not just a little.

But I should have expected a big improvement, I went from a Yamaha HTR as a preamp to a DAC with BR player connected, loosing the HTR was probably a big part of it ?

One big problem was the higher powered amps and really efficient speakers, the sound was not clean enough ( I guess) to avoid hearing a hissing sound.

They are a good value if you can find something that fits in your system without problems.

Edited by dtel

I think that would be a great combo. I have bought some cheap digital amps to play around with and they are a little noisy I must say. I suspect the Emotiva mini is much quieter than those. I have a pair of Oris like horns with JBL 2441 2" drivers. They are not very forgiving.

• Moderators
I have a pair of Oris like horns with JBL 2441 2" drivers. They are not very forgiving.

That's what impressed me about the emotive DAC, it's connected to the 402 horns, if it's quiet with those that's pretty good. The mwm with the 402 is like 108 Db efficiency, if there is any noise you will her it.

Always want to hear the Oris horns, they do look cool.

I bought the mini-x after acquiring my Belle's. I have my Oppo connected as a source for both disc and streaming.

It's a great little amp for the money. No audible hiss or hum whatsoever. IMO, it's a great deal for the price :emotion-21:

I wonder how this compares to the Parasound Zamp. Emotiva doesn't give a lot of info on what's inside. It IS less expensive that the Zamp, but I like the all discrete component design of the Parasound.

Bruce

Guest David H

I still have 2 Mini-X amplifiers, I use 1 and work and the other in my shop. Great little amp.

I replaced my XDA-1 with an Oppo 105, I like the Oppo better but the XDA was very good.

Dave

I still have 2 Mini-X amplifiers, I use 1 and work and the other in my shop. Great little amp.

I replaced my XDA-1 with an Oppo 105, I like the Oppo better but the XDA was very good.

Dave

Agreed with the 105 choice but I have an XDA-1 sitting here if anyone wants to try it and send back. Edited by USNRET

• Moderators
LarryC, on 22 Aug 2014 - 8:48 PM, said:

dtel, on 22 Aug 2014 - 2:20 PM, said: the sound was not clean enough ( I guess) to avoid hearing a hissing sound
Gain matching issue?

I think your right, probably the problem.