DAC... do I need a new one?

Schu

I find DAC's if designed properly (which means they allow the music to flow through without adding color) have minor differences in SQ

I do think older dacs can be upgraded as they have made some gains in the field, My objective to a new dac now days is feature based, Does it have more features that I want or may soon want 

The oppo uses the Cirrus chip, my suggestion is to compare the chips as this is where the gains in sound and design seem to come from

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs4362a-82a.html

Edited by joessportster

all very good comments in here... I have written back to the seller.

no word yet.

I'm not giving up my Vinyl, I am just finding digital sources very rewarding lately with my current set up finally rounded out by Dean and while, for me, Vinyl still holds a lead over most normal digital sources (not quite true with some SACD and DVDA), the difference has gotten very close... and with digital I am not dealing with static and surface noise issues associate with vinyl.

I've spent a bit of money trying to make my system as "BLACK" as possible, and I have achieved that to a very high degree even though I use high efficiency speakers... adding noise back in via vinyl is disappointing to say the least.

• Like 1

all very good comments in here... I have written back to the seller.

no word yet.

I'm not giving up my Vinyl, I am just finding digital sources very rewarding lately with my current set up finally rounded out by Dean and while, for me, Vinyl still holds a lead over most normal digital sources (not quite true with some SACD and DVDA), the difference has gotten very close... and with digital I am not dealing with static and surface noise issues associate with vinyl.

I've spent a bit of money trying to make my system as "BLACK" as possible, and I have achieved that to a very high degree even though I use high efficiency speakers... adding noise back in via vinyl is disappointing to say the least.

I agree with you that vinyl is the best source, It is very aggravating to get the vinyl induced noises. I learned to ignore most of it, and got it down to a minimum with table / arm / and cart setup (cartridge making the most difference)

I have found though through necessity that Digital can be very good with the right conditions, I truly enjoy having so much music at my fingertips and can set up hours of play in moments

Even when my living situation changes and I have space I doubt I will get away from digital now, the convenience is just so appealing, also really good vinyl playback can get very expensive in comparison  :D

If you get the Bel-Canto post some impressions, we can never have to many end user impressions of dac's

Digital music does offer some nice feature such , quick retrieval, mixing songs from multiple source.  no damage over time and the ability to get more newer music.  Even some of my Flac and high resolution digital music has some background noise on some of the music from the truly old days.  I guess they can only do so much with music from the old days.

Edited by derrickdj1

Heard a lot of good things about this one. Seems the price has just dropped. If I was in the market I would start here.

http://www.amazon.com/Peachtree-Audio-Digital-Converter-Asynchronous/dp/B00E4WSPBG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408905528&sr=1-3&keywords=dac

I looked at the peach tree dac it, and the dac it x

I have seen several complaints about the X having a dryer more  analytical sound sig.  which is why I did not get one it uses the saber chip which I have heard and thought it was dryer myself

I went with Centrance and could not be happier

While not convinced any properly functioning DAC has a "sound",

I find it hard to understand why anyone could think otherwise. If it were not so, why wouldn't you just buy any off the shelf cdp and be happy? Everything has it's own sound, amps, preamps, cables (shudder the thought), etc. It's the raison d'etre that this hobby exists. Otherwise we would all be shopping for rack systems at Best Buy......

Off my soapbox now.......

Shakey

Funny how the "sound" seems 100% tied to visual id of the item, and 0% related to audio only comparisons.

Mastering, rooms, and speakers have huge differences, everything else, not so much.

• Like 2

While not convinced any properly functioning DAC has a "sound",

I find it hard to understand why anyone could think otherwise. If it were not so, why wouldn't you just buy any off the shelf cdp and be happy? Everything has it's own sound, amps, preamps, cables (shudder the thought), etc. It's the raison d'etre that this hobby exists. Otherwise we would all be shopping for rack systems at Best Buy......

Off my soapbox now.......

Shakey

Funny how the "sound" seems 100% tied to visual id of the item, and 0% related to audio only comparisons.

Mastering, rooms, and speakers have huge differences, everything else, not so much.

Not sure why you quoted me with your post. I tie my purchases ONE HUNDRED PER CENT to the sound. I could give a rat's *** about how it looks or the price tag. Sometimes the cheaper component wins the day.

Shakey

• Like 1

Will I actually see and hear SIGNIFICANT. improvement in performance if I get spendy on a stand alone DAC or is my current cyrus DAC more than good enough?...I am considering this because I find myself REALLY enjoying digital music lately even though I NEVER play music from a computer, just digital media/cd/sacd/dvda etc.

I doubt very much that you will hear much that others in the room can also hear if you buy another DAC. 

If I were you, I'd think a lot more about using an HDMI cable to your AVR so that you can eliminate the analog RCA cable from your player to your preamp.  Is there anything wrong with your Pioneer AVR's DACs?

HDMI really has no losses but analog outputs/inputs is where you always hear differences.  Minimize analog connections/components and SQ will improve.

I would guess that I guessed wrong on "the system".  :(

Which pieces of equipment are you using or proposing to use with this "DAC"?

Klipsch Image Ones

Klipsch x11i

Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R

Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp/SUT

Pioneer SC35

Bel Canto REF 500M

Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio

Klisch RC64II

Klipsch SW-115

OPPO BDP-93

Samsung PN64D8000

Edited by Chris A

:Facepalm:

Realists chime in an you get all face-palmy? (I was wondering when more practical, evidence based advice would be offered. Too bad it's greeted with such scorn. Is this forum now one of those places where marketing trumps cold hard reality? DACs are for all intents and purposes a mature technology; obsessing over S/N specs so far below audible thresholds is like trying to hear a bee fart in a hurricane. Focus on what really matters.)

Schu, thought you might find this of interest concerning DAC internals.

I've highly recommended these (Sansa Clip & Clip+) to the forum before, for headphone use of course, but no one seemed to care as is usually the case concerning digital it seems. 

Like most say about the Panasonic XR-57, a little chip can't possibly sound good, "What's the difference, it's all solid state just the same?" yet there's copious amounts of praise on Amazon regarding their sound quality.

Here it is explained:  http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html