Tiny House (448 square feet)

mungkiman

Stained bevel cedar lap siding is intended for the ADU, to set the homes apart.

Hope to have a burn party this weekend to get rid of the junk in the foreground, because it's dangerous; rusty nails in 2x4s from the old garage.

Local wildfires are already affecting our air quality, so we might have to wait until after a good rain to burn, or take the junk/scrap to the dump. This photo is our smoke filled sky at around 4:30 today, but the dump costs money and I like a good fire...

attachicon.gifFire.JPG

Real pain in the arss come time to pick up nails out of the burn pile.  Contractors made a large burn pile in part of the lawn.  Nephews and I got to pick up all the nails, ash ect.  Had a talk with the wife, NO more burning boards with nails or screws or anything else that could harm a child's feet, or put holes in my garden tractor's tires.  Location of burn pile moved out of front yard to more difficult area to see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
mungkiman, on 15 Sept 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Better half-roof shot:

attachicon.gifHalf Roof.JPG

You put your wife up there. :o

But really, it's looking good. I don't blame you I would rather burn the scrap myself but the smoke in that pic is pretty bad, just wait a little. 

Two different species of woodpeckers at my place.  Neither bother the house.  Like with anything else, if you grow enough for everybody you don't have a problem.  I am lucky there are trash trees in other yards ( cottonwoods, ash, silver leaf maples) which provide lots of food for them.  Plus they love the sunflower seed  loaded feeder.

Two different species of woodpeckers at my place.  Neither bother the house.  Like with anything else, if you grow enough for everybody you don't have a problem.  I am lucky there are trash trees in other yards ( cottonwoods, ash, silver leaf maples) which provide lots of food for them.  Plus they love the sunflower seed  loaded feeder.

I have about 100 trees on my property.  I am surrounded by woods from adjacent landholders, I have removed two large trees (Cherry/Maple) which were dying and planted 2 white pines.  I have heard that woodpeckers only hit houses with insects, so they are doing you good.  They only hit spots which are rotten, they are only doing a service.. etc.  Fix your house and they won't hit it....   Yeah..  well my 13 year experience is different and based on reading in the internet 's' I am not alone.  That is horse hockey.  These birds, well at least in my case the Downy's are territorial and create holes to create boundaries.   I have seen Pileated, Red Bellied, and Northern Flicker, but I have only seen the Downy hit my house and yes I have visually seen it.  This past week I heard the pecking and sneaked outside, and no damage to the Hardie Plant yet.  I hope those bastards have moved in.  It would not stop a Pileated no doubt, but a Pileated has never hit my house.     

I set the copy machine for 200 copies at work and let it run.  Shortly after I heard a pecking sound from the printer and thought DAMN.  I messed up the  copy machine and went to look.  Printer was printing away and everything looked good.  But still had that strange noise.  Looked out the window and a woodpecker was pecking on the building.

Granddad was a  timber faller in the Redwoods.  One year he brought a sizable piece of bark that was full of acorns.  He said woodpeckers make the holes, then put acorns in it to draw bugs.  When the bugs get into the acorn, the woodpeckers eat the bugs and put more acorns in. 

• Moderators
Granddad was a timber faller in the Redwoods. One year he brought a sizable piece of bark that was full of acorns. He said woodpeckers make the holes, then put acorns in it to draw bugs. When the bugs get into the acorn, the woodpeckers eat the bugs and put more acorns in.

That's where they got the saying, "thinking with you pecker" ! :emotion-21:

This summer we had a pileated woodpecker that insisted on pounding on the top of our metal chimney cap.  All times of the day... PING PING PING... PING PING PINGPINGPINGPINGPING!  I thought maybe we had some bugs getting up there but then I heard the same stupid bird pinging away at the neighbors chimney cap.  I'm wondering if it eventually starved to death because I haven't heard it for a couple of months now. 

Granddad was a timber faller in the Redwoods. One year he brought a sizable piece of bark that was full of acorns. He said woodpeckers make the holes, then put acorns in it to draw bugs. When the bugs get into the acorn, the woodpeckers eat the bugs and put more acorns in.

That's where they got the saying, "thinking with you pecker" ! :emotion-21:

I sure wish that was where the saying came from.

I lost a good girl for letting my pecker think for me.  Still not over it.