Newbie looking to upgrade crossovers on my Reference RF-3 ii

ninjai18

Thanks for that conformation. I think given the crossover point of around 2KHz along with the fact that the RF3/RF3 ll have metal cones an acoustic filter layer of 1/8" F-11 Acoustical Felt will help filter high frequency from the woofers and also add some acoustical load which almost never hurts. Post pictures of your modification work as you go I am sure there are lots of interested readers. Best regards Moray James .

So you're recommending that he cover his cones with an 1/8" of felt. I don't think that sounds like a very good idea.

you might mot think that if you have never tried it. At and above crossover you don't want to hear the the multiple source points coming off the cone and especially not the higher frequencies from the metal cone you only want to hear the horn at those frequencies. The Acoustical Felt has very little impact upon low frequencies but it does add some acoustical load which is very useful. I have used this technique on a lot of different speaker projects including line source electrostats and it works very well. The Felt needs to be wool Acoustic Felt type F-11 which has about the widest absorption band available. Synthetic felt like the acrylic felt sold at craft stores is not much good and has a very narrow absorption band. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

Anyone have a super cheap old soldering iron they could sell me with a little solder? :D

I surongly suggest you get a good temp controled solder station for electronic work should only be 50.00 75.00 bucks or so a very good investment. A cheap old soldering iron is a sure fire way to damage your circuit boards and destroy capacitors. A cheap iron is a bad idea. Best regards Moray James.

They have.. so take the info and do some research. You've got the part values there on the current components, suggestions on what to replace with, and the source. buy some stuff, solder it on, and see what happens. That is DIY.

THAT is DIY only?  C'mon man, diy is a lot of things, not just one narrow definition.  :)

And I'm not taking issue with you, rather I'm looking at things from the OP's POV.  He has posted here where there really are experts, and lots of guys who have done similar mods before.  He wants better sound, doesn't want to pay big bucks, and he doesn't mind DOING IT HIMSELF when it comes to ordering the proper parts, soldering things. 

The point being, there is no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Or in this case, the cross over.  B)

+++

And I'd like to give a special shout-out to Dean, now known as Crankysoldermeister who has truly expert knowledge which he is sharing on this forum for free in the true sense of DIY, even though he makes money from selling that expertise. 

Terrific, Dean.  :)   :emotion-21:

• Like 1