Newbie looking to upgrade crossovers on my Reference RF-3 ii

ninjai18

THAT is DIY only?

I don't see where I stated it was the only definition of DIY. In this context, it is my stated opinion of what this type of DIY project looks like. 

I re-read your statement.  You gave a definition, then concluded with "THAT is DIY."  Maybe it came across in a way you didn't intend.  I know your heart is pure, so it's no biggie, I accept your word, and the "context" sentence you added above did just that, added context.  :)

I have seen on other web sites where people DO argue over "what is DIY."  I am not one who would argue over such a petty issue,  especially when bigger issues such as "do expensive cables sound better" is waaay more worth arguing over.  :P:rolleyes::lol:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Did the upgrade to one of my towers and now I have no sound coming from the horn... :/ Woofers work, but no tweeter.

Uh oh...

You'll have to go through everything and find the mistake. Did you burn/lift a PCB trace? Did you connect things correctly?

Something not quite connected? Only one way to find out...

Do you have a digital multi-meter, or some sort of multi-meter to check continuity with? You can check PCB traces and parts for continuity/resistance...not to mention things like a open voice coil on a tweeter. I'm not saying you have a open tweeter, just with a DMM you can have the option to check.

I think I burnt the PCB accidentally. I'd like to just wire everything up on a little piece of wood and glue it inside the cabinet. Any good guides on wiring up a crossover network without a PCB circuit board? :)

It may to be easier to repair the PCB...jump the trace with wire.

You can wire everything up on a piece of wood. You'll need things like terminal blocks, wire ties, stand-offs, extra bits of wire. You'll need to drill holes to mount things...maybe hot glue to hold things down.

But now that makes it a project...and kinda throws Deans point of proximity effect out the door...if that is a big deal or not, I have no idea.

At any rate, turn down the soldering iron. Or solder faster. ;)

I think I burnt the PCB accidentally. I'd like to just wire everything up on a little piece of wood and glue it inside the cabinet. Any good guides on wiring up a crossover network without a PCB circuit board? :)

this would be a good time to invest in a good electronics temp adjustable soldering station. Just a reminder for others. Sorry to hear you are having a roadblock but this is how everyone learns so don't feel bad.

Ouch, I was going to suggest trying an equalizer to see if that would give you what you are looking for but may be too late for that. Now, not to hijack again, but what are these batteries yall speak of with crossovers? 

OP, I hope you can get it figured out.

but what are these batteries yall speak of with crossovers?

Dean builds battery biased crossovers.  Next time you come over, I can pull a back off of one of my Cornscalas if you want to see one.

I should have a pair of battery biased B2's available shortly.

I'm gonna take some high res photos and upload them, maybe someone can provide insight as to what I did wrong. :) Would I still get good sound if I put the crossover network on a wood board, but orient everything as close as possible to how Klipsch had it originally on the PCB?

Also, if the new solder is touching a trace, could that be the problem?

Edited by ninjai18