(NFL) Ray Rice's Boxing Career is Over

wvu80

SHE was the victim of violence here, and her voice should be heard the loudest, instead of all of the media, the bloggers, and others speaking for her.

Now I'm going to jump on the other side of the fence.

She's saying just leave us alone.  It was nobody's business but ours.  Classic Stockholm Syndrome.

It might be except RR didn't kidnap her.  Also Stockholm syndrome survivors don't have children with the perps, and the survivors don't end up living in luxury as a millionaires with their captors.

Other than that, it is exactly the same.  :rolleyes::P  (just messing with you, my friend)  B)

Described as a victim’s emotional “bonding” with their abuser, Stockholm Syndrome was given its name following a hostage situation in Stockholm, Sweden when, following the end of a bank robbery, the hostages identified with and supported their captor.

Copy and pasted.

It was the closest thing that I could think of where someone being abused is basically brainwashed or intimidated into sticking up for their abuser.

It's all good Dave :emotion-21:  Like I said, good discussion.

Described as a victim’s emotional “bonding” with their abuser, Stockholm Syndrome was given its name following a hostage situation in Stockholm, Sweden when, following the end of a bank robbery, the hostages identified with and supported their captor.

Copy and pasted.

It was the closest thing that I could think of where someone being abused is basically brainwashed or intimidated into sticking up for their abuser.

It's all good Dave :emotion-21:  Like I said, good discussion.

Excellent discussion!  I hate to tell anyone this, but I'm old enough to remember when the Stockholm hostages were taken!  :wacko:

+++

I am very impressed with how much all the posters here have up-to-date information on these domestic violence issues.  There have been a LOT of very educated opinions.  (including yours :) )

+++

Not that it matters Department:  I have been trained in issues of domestic violence and I have worked with both victims and offenders.  I am a mental health therapist by profession.  A couple of you guys knew that, but not many.  I don't want to be an internet "know-it-all," I just threw that out because my perspective on this is just a little different, that's all.

I have been trained in issues of domestic violence and I have worked with both victims and offenders. I am a mental health therapist by profession. A couple of you guys knew that, but not many. I don't want to be an internet "know-it-all," I just threw that out because my perspective on this is just a little different, that's all.

Then you're much more the expert.  I admire your choice in profession.  You have a much better handle on this than I do.  Mine are just that, opinions.

We can all go down to the Ravens stadium next weekend and turn in our Ray Rice jersey's on any other player. Heard that on our local news this morning.

Hell, several years ago Ray Lewis was charged for murder in Atlanta. Last week they honored him with a statue right next to Johnny Unitas statue.......... What ever........

When I was living in Northeast Ohio outside of Akron, I used to take everyone to Double AA baseball where the Cleveland farm team moved there in 1989 (The Canton-Akron Indians) and played in "Thurman Muson Memorial Stadium" located in Canton Ohio, which was a very inexpensive event and highly entertaining at the time.

I think they went to the playoffs 5 straight times. Of course, we all got to see "Joey" Belle (before he demanded to be called Albert) get his start there in 1989, home runs, tantrums and all. Even when the team moved to Akron and became the Akron Aeros in a new and much nicer ballpark, the event was still very affordable.

Overall, some of the best sports dollars I ever spent as the park was always full of excitement and the kids and many of their friends still talk fondly about those days.

how an the average Joe afford a ticket anymore?

I read somewhere that it's roughly $1000.00 for an average family of 4 to go to a game now.  It included tickets, parking and food.  Don't know how accurate it was though.

Althgouh the study is from the fall of 2012, the pdf file in the link has detail by team. They show average ticket price and average premium ticket price.  The overall average is based on four average price tickets, two small draft beers, four small soft drinks, four regular size hot dogs, parking for one car, two game programs and two of the least expensive adult size caps. 

Four premium seats alone to see the Patriots would be over $2,200, although I believe they may be the only team not charging PSLs.  Jacksonville and Cleveland were the cheapest experience for a family of four coming in at ~ $343 total with the Jets and Cowboys being the most expensive coming in at ~ $617 and $635 respectively.

http://fancostexperience.com/pages/fcx/blog_pdfs/entry0000018_pdf000.pdf

Here is an interesting chart I found on Business Insider that shows the increases compared to inflation.

business insider NFL experience.png

post-36163-0-33460000-1410451714_thumb.p

Edited by Fjd

IF SHE SLUGED HIM WOULD SHE GET FIRED FROM HER JOB...???

Does she have a job?

There's been a lot of discussion about the fact that "she hit him first".  It's now being reported that the reason she did was because he kept spitting on her.  After the second or third time, she hit him.

• Moderators
wvu80, on 11 Sept 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

dtel, on 10 Sept 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

wvu80, on 10 Sept 2014 - 9:01 PM, said: I am a mental health therapist by profession.

Oh great :o  :P  

I knew you would say that...

Because your a Pro at spotting the problem kids.

Tough job, people usually do not want to hear the truth. Much respect, it's not easy to tell people Your a screwup, and do it nicely.

I've been following this thread and I'll add a couple of thoughts;

1. Props to those of you who have added well-thought out opinons & respectful posts. I've seen other threads online regarding this topic that are just as revolting as the incident itself.

b. The disgrace of the league’s handling of Ray Rice knocking his fiancée out cold grows larger and larger with each breaking news story and subsequent denial or “admission” of failure, calls for Goodell’s resignation are growing louder and louder and not just from fans on Twitter, but from the league’s partner, and often times enabler, ESPN, as well as the National Organization of Women. I believe everyone has it wrong. Stop calling on Goodell to go.

The inept, incompetent, and possibly unscrupulous Goodell only holds power because 32 of the richest men in America give it to him. Start calling on his bosses to do the right thing and make him go. Make no mistake: Roger Goodell works for them. Those 32 insanely rich men. They have hired him to do their dirty work and increase their bottom dollar. Goodell has been such an able employee, and just as importantly, been the face to take all the cries of hypocrisy and greed sent the NFL’s way, that they rewarded him with $44 million in salary last year. All of this to a commissioner whose gaffes and missteps are well-documented. High profile columnists, players both former and active, and fans on social media are happy to point them out.

So it is time for one of the 32 richest men in America to stand up and be the first to say that the man they pay to do their bidding has to go. It is time for one of them to publicly, with his name attached and his face on camera, to say that Roger Goodell failed his biggest test. One owner needs to take the first step that will do whatever needs to be done to salvage something good out of all of this horribleness, no matter how much money it might cost 32 of the richest men in America.

Seems to me that strategy worked during the lockout...

Yet another outrageous story hyped up by the media to keep us from watching our country go swirling down the drain! Yes, abuse is terrible, but the real driver here is, "never let a crisis go to waste!"

Rick

Like Eric Holder is doing in Ferguson, huh?

Here's yer hat;

tin-foil-viking-hat-man.jpg