(NFL) Ray Rice's Boxing Career is Over

wvu80

Yet another shining example of why I boycott pro sports Bunch of overpaid whining etc...etc...etc...

I can hardly bring myself to watch the NBA these days.

I grew up playing sports....big time. Now, so much of what goes on in professional sports is such a turn off to me now. Too many CLOWNS out there. It's a bunch of BS and a disgrace to the sport. However, the athleticism these days is impressive and that is something for kids these days to look up to. Not professional athletes hooked on video games, tweeting etc. etc. Really makes me want to puke.

I am stopping on page one, but this is pretty much my opinion...That said, in my experience woman have the upper hand when it deals with extracting an emotional response...Arguments between men sometimes escalate to fisticuffs when civil discussion gets too much for one side...All I can say is if a chick pisses you off so much that you feel the need to hit her then you better end the relationship because you cannot win morally or legally, imo. 

{EDIT Note: I also admire the athleticism of these individuals but as an adult I have more valuable things to do with my time than watch them and I sure am not going to contribute to the outrageous amounts of money they are getting.}  

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

takes a big man to whip a woman!

these guys make me sick. I am also sorry for the women. A victim of physical abuse typically will leave her husband 7 or 8 times before leaving him for good... if she survives. The most often injury for women treated in ER is a result of violence at the hand of her husband or boyfriend. Lord, have mercy. 

• Like 1

Out here in Ca, it's the top of the news every dam day, i mean it's daily drama folks, you know we have nothing more important going on in the world.

It's not like we are dieing in other country's or anything.

Pro sports does not get my family's money, i just bet at the pub's.

Yet another outrageous story hyped up by the media to keep us from watching our country go swirling down the drain! Yes, abuse is terrible, but the real driver here is, "never let a crisis go to waste!"

Rick

What? :huh:  I only saw it in a headline yesterday and decided to comment on it here because it was an active thread and I wanted to share my perspective--Blaming it on "the Media" negates anyone's responsibility for thinking this topic is important.  Given how much crap and information is in the media, commenting on this topic is the responsibility of those who are posting.

Out here in Ca, it's the top of the news every dam day, i mean it's daily drama folks, you know we have nothing more important going on in the world.

It's not like we are dieing in other country's or anything.

Pro sports does not get my family's money, i just bet at the pub's.

If your local news coverage is this event I totally agree with you and think it's newsworthy that not a lot of Americans are dying in foreign countries as compared to the first 10 years of this Millennia.

• Like 1

It's kind of interesting that the private sector feels the need to duplicate the system of prosecution, sentencing and execution.  This routinely is the case.  Take Michael Vick, for example.  Is he a jacka$$ for what he did?  You bet.  But my understanding of the justice system is that "you do the crime; you do the time."  He did his time.  Now, what?  Does society keep beating the man more than the judicial and administrative branches did?  

I have a bit of a problem with society putting more and more barriers to re-integration into normal society after a person did his/her time for being a phukup.

I'm not in disagreement with you, however, there appears to be a very large percentage of our population that loaths the criminal that abuses animals; especially dogs.  I think child abuse would also fall into this category.

I tend to agree with what both of you are stating and more can be done from both aspects; however, I believe that other problems tend to develop when some portion of this population moves toward just taking the law into one’s own hands and attempting to effect justice according to one’s own understanding of right and wrong in a form of vigilantism that is criminal too.  Someone once told me that mathimatically, two wrongs don't make a right.

Additionally, why are folks, it seems, much more willing to forgive "white collar" crimes when they can be so damaging?

In general, while it is much more complicated to explain than in using a couple of sentences, I do not believe that most people have a "tangible" frame of reference to relate to in the white collar crime instances as they do have a tangible frame of reference that can be related to in the Michael Vick issue and Ray Rice issue. 

It is easy to understand a video of a woman getting beat down or a dog being tortured/entered into fights; however, how many people actually even understand from a very basic level the Enron scandal; MCI fraud; the 2008 credit crisis (also what toppled the Madoff hedge funds as huge demands to withdraw money were being made) related to the fraudulent behavior related to the mortgage backed securities and the credit default swaps; and the most recent issues related to alleged 'front running' by the high frequency traders?

Tell that to Madoffs victims.

I know.  "Their lives are ruined."  Ink on paper.  Poof! 

It's just terrible.  I feel for those people.

Ask how Lou Pearlman’s Ponzi victims are enjoying their 4% return from the trustee in that case?  In addition, ask what the banks and/or regulators are actually doing to not turn a blind eye as they either profit or deceitfully get out of their compromised positions with these types of fraud?

You or I would never have access to these types of investments as the “opportunity” is typically presented to “accredited investors” (i.e. extremely high-wealth individuals or institutional investors that have fiduciary responsibilities to those they are investing for).  

The interesting aspect here is that there were so many ‘red flags’ that kept appearing that were completely ignored since many of his investors would make remarks similar to, "The returns were just amazing and we trusted this guy for decades — if you wanted to take money out, you always got your check in a few days.” 

The allure of the mythical “Siren” or “Succubus” was so strong in relation to these returns that in many instances, rather than try to do due diligence to try to figure out the returns, those investors were actually borrowing large sums to money to invest with Madoff, thus trying to take a much larger advantage of the potential arbitrage spread between the interest amounts paid on the borrowed money and the return from Madoff.

However, Madoff's auditor was a two-person accounting firm that had only one active accountant, which was a close Madoff family friend totally ignoring the independence violations under professional auditing standards. 

In addition, a former Securities and Exchange Commission compliance officer married Madoff's niece, a Madoff firm compliance attorney.

By the year 2000 there was substantial evidence that went ignored that it was mathematically impossible for Madoff to deliver the returns he was giving using the strategies he claimed to use.   

There were a few very smart people that had come to the conclusion that there were only two ways to explain Madoff’s figures as; (1) either Madoff was front running his order flow, or (2) his wealth management business was a massive Ponzi scheme.

Even at the end of November 2008, full swing into the general market collapse, a Madoff fund reported that it was up 5.6%, while the same year-to-date total return on the S&P 500-stock index had been negative 38%.

An interesting aspect is that the court-appointed trustee liquidating the Madoff estate in federal bankruptcy court is suing to “claw back” paper profits from investors so he can redistribute them to victims who lost actual principal by investing directly with Madoff.

In one high-wealth situation,there is a quote that, “When your life gets altered overnight, you realize you don’t have to keep doing everything you’ve been doing,” “You don’t need to belong to a country club, or drive an expensive car or buy expensive jewelry. You certainly don’t have to own three separate dwelling places. It was all pretty obvious.”

Just like I would do if I ever could dream having that kind of money to invest and lose, they then proceeded to sell the New Jersey home for a good price; unload a Florida golf-club condominium at a loss as many over speculated in the Florida market, but no longer had to pay the costly monthly fees; sold the share of a ski home in Vermont; then bought a smaller home nearby, in a community where they have friendships extending back many decades.

Edited by Fjd

If this dude punched a man in the elevator an knocked him out does anyone think charges wouldn't have been filed? My guess not only charges filed but a civil lawsuit would ensue... 

What if he kicked a dog... who knows....

If this dude punched a man in the elevator an knocked him out does anyone think charges wouldn't have been filed? My guess not only charges filed but a civil lawsuit would ensue... 

What if he kicked a dog... who knows....

I admit if he kicked a dog It would be a different scenario but I would still come to this thread to see what kind of person defended his actions...Then again, you can't be charged with assault for kicking a dog (although there are other not as major charges) and it could not sue in civil court--Otoh, a Human Being is a different matter and there are criminal laws on the books and given that video, I can't help but think a jury would issue damages in favor of the victim.

Edited by tkdamerica

She might feel she'd get worse if she didn't. Hard to put any blame on her.

Are you kidding me??? If she had walked away then and not married him she would have walked away empty handed. This way she can milk the situation for all it is worth and then take Rice for at least half of his worth when she divorces him. She is every bit as bad as him they were made for one another. I have zero sympathy for her she picked a fight she could not win that is just stupidity. One can only hope that they make each other as miserable as they both deserve. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

She is every bit as bad as him they were made for one another.

So she deserved to get KO'd right?

Think of it this way; if person A offered person B a million dollars if A could take one solid punch at B, who is worse, A for punching, or B for accepting the million dollars?

Edited by wvu80

She is every bit as bad as him they were made for one another.

So she deserved to get KO'd right?

Think of it this way; if person A offered person B a million dollars if A could take one solid punch at B, who is worse, A for punching, or B for accepting the million dollars?

He can punch me for 1 million :D

• Like 2

In this instance, you're purchasing the right to punch someone with their consent.  I don't see the correlation.  I don't believe there was a contract in place in the Rice incident that included violence.