i75 question

Turbox

I'm heading to Florida, it will be the first time i'm driving down. Normally I fly this time I am driving and going to take the i75 from Detroit down to Florida.

Anything I need t be aware of other than keep on driving top to bottom? its a toll highway right?

Not a toll road. Its all just drive. Iv made the same drive a dozen or so times. i75 does the job! It spreads from 4 to 6 then 8 lanes and back a few times down thru cincy then around Atlanta and a few in between. The mountains Kentuck&Tenn can yield at times with trucks or semis slow on inclines then wrecks or construction. Fun drive.

• Like 2

No toll to Tampa!

Do not drive over 80mph or ticket and yield to emergency vehicles on the side of roadway.

79 is safe for no ticket.

True...last summer on way home I was passed by a brand new vette going real fast in Tennesee...and it was raining...needless to say traffic jam about 20 minutes later for about an nhour...when we drove through there was about a quarter of the shell left of the vette...Id hate to say but my spot to make up time used to be ketucky...at 100mph it takes just under 2 hours with no stops...thru Tennessee its better to go the limit...Once in Georgia I push it a bit...florida its up to you...No doubt up north imo I stay about 75-80mph...too many smokeys...Im jealous...I love that drive. I grew up with dad taking us to Orlando(east)Disney...Now flying to tampa is cheap or easy at least from Detroit(Toledo Oh&ft wayne IN) area with allegiant air..so now days we fly but iv had to drive about once a year since 20 yrs old...

• Like 1

• Moderators
Watch out for the Georgia Bears!

Not just in Georgia, it's big business these days, it's better to get there a few hours later without a ticket to pay.

I'm heading to Florida

Going to thaw out a little ? :D This time of year be careful not to thaw out to the point of heat exhaustion or dehydration, summer can be rough this time of year even for people who live here. Being from Canada it will be like landing on the sun. :wacko: I know it's not your first trip, just wanted to tease you considering your from the Great Frozen North area. :P

Depending on what time of day you get to Atlanta, you will cruise right though town, or come to a standstill. That can happen around Marietta, before you get to the 285 east/west highways. If you take the I-285 west, is is more of a straight shot South, to rejoin I-75. Can also be huge slowdown around I-85 when you get towards midtown.

Bruce

Depending on what time of day you get to Atlanta, you will cruise right though town, or come to a standstill. That can happen around Marietta, before you get to the 285 east/west highways. If you take the I-285 west, is is more of a straight shot South, to rejoin I-75. Can also be huge slowdown around I-85 when you get towards midtown.

Bruce

I HATE going through Atlanta.  There's always a wreck and no where to go.  Seems that anytime I head to the east coast (anywhere but FL) I have to go through Hotlanta.

How will I know you when I see you?

I'll be looking for a Toronto tag this weekend.

Folks around Michigan leave Fridays and converge on I-75 split around the time I come through.

I will be driving a white large compact, work car going around 95+ at times... :rolleyes:

When you hit the Knoxville, TN area....  be aware that for 15/20 miles, I-75 (north/south) and I-40 (east west) share the same pavement. 

If you think you'll be in the Knoxville area with appropriate stopping time to eat, lemme know.  This can be when you're driving south or back north.

There is a nice Mexican place right off the highway.  Literally at the exit.

There would be other ideas (one of which could be yours that you're not stopping!!!) This exit (at Lenoir City which is AFTER you take the I-75 split off of I-40) has several places but the Mexican place is probably the best (if you have any time & interest)