What horn is in this picture

mustang guy

Good Question.

That is a K-403 horn. It has a 1.4 inch throat and had a very limited prduction run. That was used to produce a few fiberglass version and a few wooden versions (same geometry in both). The wooden versions are nice looking but there were quality control problems. There is no mold or jig for fabricating more of them . The expansion was a "modified tractrix" in the horizontal but not the vertical dimensions.

The closest offereing you can get from Klipsch is probably the K-510 horn (others may find that statement highly qualified and arguable). I do not think any of the small shops are making clones of the K-403 (and I would be skeptical of what might get produced).

Good Question.

That is a K-403 horn. It has a 1.4 inch throat and had a very limited prduction run. That was used to produce a few fiberglass version and a few wooden versions (same geometry in both). The wooden versions are nice looking but there were quality control problems. There is no mold or jig for fabricating more of them . The expansion was a "modified tractrix" in the horizontal but not the vertical dimensions.

The closest offereing you can get from Klipsch is probably the K-510 horn (others may find that statement highly qualified and arguable). I do not think any of the small shops are making clones of the K-403 (and I would be skeptical of what might get produced).

Did or do you work at klipsch?

Good Question.

That is a K-403 horn. It has a 1.4 inch throat and had a very limited production run. That was used to produce a few fiberglass version and a few wooden versions (same geometry in both). The wooden versions are nice looking but there were quality control problems. There is no mold or jig for fabricating more of them . The expansion was a "modified tractrix" in the horizontal but not the vertical dimensions.

The closest offering you can get from Klipsch is probably the K-510 horn (others may find that statement highly qualified and arguable). I do not think any of the small shops are making clones of the K-403 (and I would be skeptical of what might get produced).

It is hard to see, but it is shaped a lot like the horns Volti is using.

The pair in this picture may be the Martinelli horns. See post 65 in the linked thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/141794-the-history-of-the-jubilee/page-4

Note that Martinelli was the builder of ALK's original Trachorn too; however, he retired from horn building after doing a few pairs of 2" throat Trachorns.

A good link on it here

http://www.itishifi.com/search/label/Jubilee

More 403 pics. At least I think they're all 403's

Golden Jubes A.JPG

Edited by Fjd

The pair in this picture may be the Martinelli horns. See post 65 in the linked thread.   https://community.kl...-jubilee/page-4   Note that Martinelli was the builder of ALK's original Trachorn too; however, he retired from horn building after doing a few pairs of 2" throat Trachorns.

it's this kind of tribal knowledge that makes the forum click. love it. 

I found this tidbit in the article

"This wooden one was made in Italy but they mistook the bumps in the horn for a mistake instead of an intentional transition point in the horn. I can only imagine how mad PWK and Roy were when this showed up at Klipsch labs after shelling out thousands of dollars."

I lucked into a Pair of 403's. I put B&C DE82TN drivers on them as they are what PWK picked out. They are great.

They feature Roy's modified tractrix and PWK's collapsing verticles.

Curves aren't bad either.... Dirty not smoothed....

403noxover.jpg

Edited by seti

I lucked into a Pair of 403's. I put B&C DE82TN drivers on them as they are what PWK picked out. They are great.

They feature Roy's modified tractrix and PWK's collapsing verticles.

Curves aren't bad either.... Dirty not smoothed....

403noxover.jpg

Does this mean they would be "good" to 300hz give or take?

Good Question.

Did or do you work at klipsch?

No.

I spent a good deal of time learning about the Jubilee and how to set up a Jubilee system

Good Question.

That is a K-403 horn. It has a 1.4 inch throat and had a very limited production run. That was used to produce a few fiberglass version and a few wooden versions (same geometry in both). The wooden versions are nice looking but there were quality control problems. There is no mold or jig for fabricating more of them . The expansion was a "modified tractrix" in the horizontal but not the vertical dimensions.

The closest offering you can get from Klipsch is probably the K-510 horn (others may find that statement highly qualified and arguable). I do not think any of the small shops are making clones of the K-403 (and I would be skeptical of what might get produced).

It is hard to see, but it is shaped a lot like the horns Volti is using.

-------------------------------

There may be a visual similarity, but that is really not the same thing as sayiing the horn is a good copy.

I found this tidbit in the article

"This wooden one was made in Italy but they mistook the bumps in the horn for a mistake instead of an intentional transition point in the horn. I can only imagine how mad PWK and Roy were when this showed up at Klipsch labs after shelling out thousands of dollars."

My understanding is that multiple vendors were used, but the results were not up to snuff.

modified tractrix

Is that why it has what looks to be curved sides.   Other then that it reminds me of the EV Hp640, size wise at least. 

HP640_7oc.jpg

The geometry on the EV HP640 horn is different than the "modified tractrix". I have had both.

I will say that the EV HP640 is a very nice horn. They are available on eBay at affordable prices and and would be an excellent candidate for many of the projects that I see on the Klipsch forum.