Help. Need ideas for officiating a wedding.

sputnik

You may also wish to PM Daddy Dee, who is preacher man with much experience in this type of ceremony, and Michael Kolter, who was a wedding photographer for quite a long time.  I do believe Micheal doesn't post his email here so contact him via DeanG.

• Like 2

Hey, thanks all for the thoughtful ideas, links, advice, and humor.  I've been out for a few days and missed out on the responses.  Great videos Chris!  

Thought I'd double dip for advice again.  I'm putting together an eclectic playlist of love songs for background music after the ceremony.  I'll be getting requests from the couple of course but I would really like to tap into the collective knowledge here.  I'm sure I could just search throughout the Thebes archives but please offer up any suggestions.  Looking of anything from truly romantic to corny.

Some I came up with so far:

Walk the Line - Jonny Cash

Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy

Words of Love - Buddy Holly

In Spite of Ourselves - John Prine  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCObON5sJzU

Wildflowers - Tom Petty

When You're Next to Me - Mitch and Mickey from the movie A Mighty Wind  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbeMmYkAXQ&list=RDFMbeMmYkAXQ#t=2

Moon River - Sinatra

I'm Into Something Good - Herman's Hermits

Simple Gifts - Yo-Yo Ma and Alison Krauss  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYi9Vr8bHJY

Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

Crimson and Clover - cover by Joan Jett

Look of Love - Dusty Springfield

Things We Said Today - Beatles

Clouds - Joni Mitchell  check out this amazing performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcrEqIpi6sg

This Magic Moment - the Drifters

Is this Love - Bob Marley

Just the Way You Are - Diana Krall

Edited by sputnik

• Moderators

Van Morrison,   Someone like you  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIrJK19dADI                                                                                                                     .......................Have  I told you lately that I love you         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFF1wJN75Z0   

Some Motown is another idea

need to think about this...........                                          

• Moderators

Went reading about this, if there is going to be some dancing , and other than a really small wedding it seems that popular music to get people dancing is really kind of cheesy. But this seems to work because they are well known by more age groups and pleases a larger percentage of the people there. 

It seems more people say they had a good time if there was good music to dance with, one idea I read was on the invitations each person was asked to name one song that would get them dancing, sounds like a good idea but sounds like a lot of work.

There are many list out there, some crazy, like one that said "be sure to include some old stuff like from the 90's". But looking at a few list some songs popped up on many list.

This is one list that had some good ideas just as example ?

Oldies but Goodies
Beatles: "Twist and Shout"
Four Tops: "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"
Foundations: "Build Me Up Buttercup"
Otis Day and the Knights: "Shout"

Sing-Along Party Favorites
AC/DC: "You Shook Me All Night Long"
Beatles: "Hey Jude"
Bon Jovi: "Livin' on a Prayer"
Def Leppard: "Pour Some Sugar On Me"
Neil Diamond: "Sweet Caroline"
Journey: "Don't Stop Believin'"
Van Morrison: "Brown Eyed Girl"
Frank Sinatra: "New York, New York"

Dance Fever
Bee Gees: "Stayin' Alive"
Commodores: "Brick House"
Earth Wind & Fire: "September"
Michael Jackson: "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"

Classic Pop and Hip Hop
Bell Biv DeVoe: "Poison"
B52's: "Love Shack"
Dexy's Midnight Runners: "Come On Eileen"
Michael Jackson: "Billie Jean"
Kenny Loggins: "Footloose"
Prince: "Kiss"
Rob Base & DJ EZ-Rock: "It Takes Two"
Sir Mix-a-Lot: "Baby Got Back"

Modern-Day Hits
Black Eyed Peas: "I Gotta Feeling"
Chris Brown: "Forever"
Taio Cruz: "Dynamite"
Miley Cyrus: "Party in the USA"
Lady Gaga: "Poker Face"
Nelly: "Hot in Herre"
Notorious B.I.G.: "Mo' Money Mo' Problems"
Santana feat. Rob Thomas: "Smooth"
Justin Timberlake: "Sexyback"

Edited by dtel

The wedding is on the 27th - still a week away so any more ideas would be great.  The Pachelbel Canon in D is already on the list.  Any beautiful operatic selection to suggest Larry?  I was thinking Madam Butterfly but that might be a bit of a downer.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

Any beautiful operatic selection to suggest Larry?  I was thinking Madam Butterfly but that might be a bit of a downer. 

I'm not an opera buff, but maybe the love aria from La Boheme (dunno the name) if it fits in the ceremony.

One of the greatest of short pieces, usually instrumental or keyboard, is the Air ("for the G string") from Bach's Suite No. 3.  I'll post and/or look for both.

The Air would be my first choice:  

Edit: this is the one from La Boheme, "My name is Mimi."  Different but almost as great as the Bach.  This excerpt doesn't include the following tenor part, dunno if I can find it:

Edited by LarryC

Larry, this is the list that I put together (sorry it's not well formatted).  This is about 3.5 hours worth of mixed love songs.

• The Air That I Breathe                        The Hollies                
  • Both Sides Now                                 Joni Mitchell
  • The Bramble and the Rose                Mary McCaslin & Jim Ringer           
  • 'Cause I'm a Blonde                          Julie Brown
  • Cheek to Cheek                                 Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong  
  • Cool, Clear Water                              Bonnie Raitt   Longing in Their Hearts
  • Crimson and Clover                           Joan Jett & The Blackhearts   
  • Fields of Gold                                     Eva Cassidy   
  • The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face          Roberta Flack
  • For Baby (For Bobbie)                       John Denver 
  • Freight Train                                       David Grisman & Jerry Garcia                     
  • Happy (From "Despicable Me 2")     Pharrell Williams                 
  • I Walk the Line                                  Johnny Cash 
  • I'm Into Something Good                 Herman's Hermits                            
  • In Spite of Ourselves                         John Prine & Iris DeMent
  • Is This Love                                        Bob Marley & The Wailers  
  • Jenny Jenkins                                    David Grisman & Jerry Garcia                     
  • Scenes from Childhood: I                 Jenő Jandó
  • Scenes from Childhood: II                Jenő Jandó    
  • Scenes From Childhood III               Jenő Jandó
  • L'enfant                                              Anastasi                     
  • La Mer                                                Chantal Chamberland
  • The Look of Love                               Dusty Springfield
  • Main Theme from the Last of the Mohicans          The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
  • Maria                                                  Blondie          
  • Misguided Angel                               Cowboy Junkies
  • Old Friends                                        Mary McCaslin                      
  • On an Overgrown Path: IV. The Madonna of Frydek        Janacek                      
  • Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major    Societas Musica Chamber Orchestra                     
  • Piano Concerto No. 21 In C Major, K. 467  Nürnberg Symphony Orchestra, Alexander von Pitamic & Peter Lang
  • Promontory                                      Trevor Jones, Joel McNeely & Royal Scottish National Orchestra   The Last of the Mohicans (Original Motion Picture Score)
  • Red River Valley                               Marty Robbins                                              
  • Right In Time                                     Lucinda Williams
  • Ripple                                                Grateful Dead                                   
  • Ripplin' Waters                                  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
  • Roll Me Away                                     Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band                                   
  • Romeo and Juliet                               Dire Straits
  • Shenandoah                                     Peter Hollens                         
  • Simple Gifts                                      Yo-Yo Ma & Alison Krauss
  • Someday Soon                                 Judy Collins
  • Something                                        The Beatles
  • Something Good                              Julie Andrews & Bill Lee       The Sound of Music
  • Things We Said Today                     The Beatles
  • This Magic Moment                         The Drifters & Ben E. King  
  • The Very Thought of You                 Nat "King" Cole
  • The Way You Look Tonight              Frank Sinatra
  • When You're Next to Me                  Mitch & Mickey          A Mighty Wind
  • Wildflowers                                       Tom Petty                             
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow     The Shirelles 
  • Words of Love (Single)                     Buddy Holly                          
  • The Year of Living Dangerously       The City of Prauge   
  • You Are My Sunshine                       Elizabeth Mitchell
  • You Never Can Tell                           Chuck Berry  

Thanks, Sput.  Very impressive!  I don't know the non-classical, of course.

Unsolicited comments:  The Mozart PC No 21 is an excellent addition.  I assume you saw Elvira Madigan. The Puccini was no doubt too operatic and intense. The Bach Air absolutely cannot be beat.

Technically, the Bach and Mozart are surely only the slow movements, not everything, of those two works.  You could say "Air" for the Bach if you want.  Or not.  The Mozart title is fine as is, or you could say "Andante."

You might consider ID'ing Bach and Mozart.

A fine list, from what I know!

I appreciate the opportunity to contribute!

Larry