Help. Need ideas for officiating a wedding.

sputnik

A good friend will be having her wedding at our place in two weeks and has asked me to officiate.  Preemptively, knowing how threads can get derailed, I should repeat "officiate" - not the many fun words that rhyme.  Knowing that audiophiles are by nature a romantic and sentimental group, I'm asking for truly needed help here.  

Please suggest anything romantic, touching, or humorous you've seen at weddings, I really need some cool wedding ideas and/or inspiring love stories.

Thanks in advance.
  • Like 1

I've participated in some of these:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/impossibly-romantic-wedding-ideas#28qj5tp

My daughter's best friend's wedding last year.  The groom is a videographer by profession (and something of a nut) :

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

In all sincerity, just be yourself. I've been to about 18 weddings, most of which as a photographer with no personal connection, and all of them were pretty pedestrian in nature. And honestly, it's not about you to begin with - so put the focus on them and whatever they have in mind and just blend into the background.

• Like 2

My great uncle was a priest years ago and it was a family tradition that he would perform all of our weddings. He was also one of the funniest people I knew.

During one of the services he stopped and looked at my cousin (who was so nervous she couldn't stop laughing) "How long do you want this (service) to go? Half hour? 45 min.? Hour and a half??"

Thank you Great Uncle Fr. Paul Kappes (All Saints Church, Montgomery, OH.

• Moderators

:emotion-21:

Chris A, on 17 Sept 2014 - 07:25 AM, said: My daughter's best friend's wedding last year.

That second video is one of the best wedding videos I have seen, I like the idea of the guest signing the guitar, much better than the standard stuff to be framed later. 

I don't know what to tell you except to have fun and make sure they do.

Edit; After going back and looking at this link from Chris http://www.buzzfeed....g-ideas#28qj5tp there is a lot of really good ideas in it. Very nice Chris A. :emotion-21:  

Edited by dtel

Thanks Eldon!  Adam Henderson is the guy that did those videos and his new wife, Carissa LaPenna Henderson did the wedding.  It was the best wedding that I'd ever been to.  There are some ideas there that don't cost a lot of money--and some that do.  (BTW: did you notice the viewer count on the first  video?)  My daughter got married weeks later and spent much less on the wedding but got what she wanted, too: a honeymoon in London--and a great husband (with a very good band on the side).  All are doing well and are very happy--and that's the point.

• Moderators

I didn't notice that, that's amazing, and good for business.

It really looked like a great wedding, a fun party, who wouldn't want that for a wedding, it does not have to be a stiff boring event but does take planning and a willing couple, it sure looks like everyone had a great time and will never forget it.

In that link was some really nice ideas and some of the best of them are not that expensive but thoughtful and will be appreciated later. 

As long as your daughter got what she wanted and is happy, nothing else really matters

...and if birds eat it, it won't swell up in their bellies
of course, unless they're grackles, in which case make sure you use the most deadly rice you can find :)

Our friends son had a wedding on the St. Lawrence River this summer. The church was about 5 miles from the reception. The wedding party rode from the church to the reception on an antique boat. It was really nice. Of course this idea does not work well if there is no water. :)

Edited by eth2

Portuguese is the majority ethnicity in me and my children.  When my daughter got married, she researched traditional Portuguese wedding ceremonies and also traditions representing her soon-to-be husband’s heritage; then they had one tradition from each culture incorporated into the wedding ceremony.  It was kinda cool actually. At the reception, she also had a table showing pictures of family members that had passed away and obviously were only present in memory. I thought that was cool as well.  Both my folks died when i was 8, so my kids never met them; but, she had pictures of them present at the wedding.

Edited by BigStewMan

Difficult.

A young relative of mine got married.  During the reception they had a Power Point slide show of photos of the bride and groom as infants, children, teens, and dating.  Very nice.  But maybe that should be shown before the ceremony to keep things in chronological order.  Maybe so brief excerpts of music from the time of the photos would work with it.

I also used http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/139506-he-who-knows-nothing-loves-nothing-he-who-can-do

once.  It works if there is some issue with other relations or time or age.

WMcD