Why not a round Tractrix horn

The Dude

I didn't want to crash the threads with Roy's interviews, so I started a new one.  But why not a round tractrix horn, I know it could be opinion but I have read that a lot of folks like the sound better then square.   Is it the fact its harder to make, maybe 3d printing will change that.  Just curious on your thoughts. 

• Like 1

I can understand narrowing the dispersion angle on the vertical axis to reduce reflections and provide more efficiency. Like Arash says, there is a cost.

I would think making a non round tractrix horn would be more difficult. A round one could be made on a lathe pretty easily. It would be tedious, and you would have to keep your measurements, but in the end, a perfect tractrix shape.

• Like 1

The problem with perfectly circular is you get bell modes stacking on top of each other. The rectangular cross-section is way more forgiving in that regard.

Also, a rectangular mouth doesn't mean the wavefront is rectangular...you get more of an ellipse shape.

I would think making a non round tractrix horn would be more difficult. A round one could be made on a lathe pretty easily. It would be tedious, and you would have to keep your measurements, but in the end, a perfect tractrix shape.

that's right. making a perfect round horn is much more easier than a for example elliptical one. round horns could be built using turning lathe.

Roy rocks as do his horns

The problem with perfectly circular is you get bell modes stacking on top of each other. The rectangular cross-section is way more forgiving in that regard.

I guess this may be a reason why Roy chooses rectangular.

Good stuff guys, I guess what one gains from one method they give up something.   

• Like 1

The problem with perfectly circular is you get bell modes stacking on top of each other.

Are bell modes related to the reason why people add damping and bracing to the horn?

In addition, I'm not sure exactly how bell modes work in a 15 inch driver; however, I've heard that when Altec used the curvalinear cone, these types of resonances would essentially be eliminated.  Do you have insight into this area that you can provide?

Roy rocks as do his horns

I guess this may be a reason why Roy chooses rectangular.

Good stuff guys, I guess what one gains from one method they give up something.   

Given the market segment that Roy designs for, isn’t Roy’s focus more on constant directivity (is this the correct term?) where using the rectangular horn aperture would seem to allow for better tailoring of the horizontal coverage angle of the width and tailoring for proper vertical coverage angle of the height? 

It would seem that this aspect would potentially be a design limitation using a round aperture tractrix horn?

From an anecdotal perspective, I tend to hear more people compliment the imaging and sound stage of the round tractrix horn vs. the rectangular tractrix horn.  However, they tend to describe the ‘sweet spot’ as being smaller for the round than the rectangular horn, although if a tractrix flare has a true 90 degree exit angle, as shown in the diagram below, I’m not sure why this would be?

compare tractrix and exponential contours.png

A lot of that is just semantics.

The AH! and 18 Sound are conical (like the K402 (except for the jast couple of inches), the Faital Pro is tractrix all the way.

"I’m not sure why this would be?"

The angles near the throat control the HF, and the lower the cut-off of the horn the narrower it will get at HF.

The Klipsch compression driver (CD) is marked "63" and has a two-inch throat.  The other is a SEOS design with a DNA-360 CD and a one-inch throat.  Both are 12" wide.  They sound remarkedly alike when played through the Klipsch CF-4 XO.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic-seos-12/plastic-seos.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1291022-hey-guys-we-need-little-rallying-here.html

post-58280-0-41400000-1411041458_thumb.j

post-58280-0-27040000-1411041499_thumb.j

post-58280-0-70920000-1411041566_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

As I am putting the pieces together. 

The AH! and 18 Sound are conical (like the K402 (except for the jast couple of inches), the Faital Pro is tractrix all the way.

"I’m not sure why this would be?"

The angles near the throat control the HF, and the lower the cut-off of the horn the narrower it will get at HF.

This got me thinking.

The jbls 2360s have a constant directivity, which you have mentioned beofre could be heard.  I had to re watch the video of why Roy prefers a tractrix and he seems to feel the same as you. To be continued.

• Klipsch Employees

The AH! and 18 Sound are conical (like the K402 (except for the jast couple of inches), the Faital Pro is tractrix all the way..

Really?? And just how would you know that? Or is it just the last 1.8769375". Lol! Edited by Chief bonehead