Poor Bass (DENON 3312 + RF-82)!

PravinE

Dear Team,

I own Klipsch RF-82+RC-62+RS-42+SW-112.

Amp : Denon AVR 3312

For 6 Channel I configured - Cross Over 80Hz and Bass LFE+MAIN < 80Hz and all speakers are set to LARGE

For 2 Channel I configured - no SUB, only Stereo and no surround

It is fantastic system while watching movie, Good BASS from Sub only.

But while listening music in 2 channel (2.0 – No Sub and Surround) I feel like listening in 50$ unknown product front speakers.

I know the issue is not with speakers, my friends said the issue could be with Amp because it is not designed for 2 channel play (stereo). The Denon spec says 125 Watts @ 8 ohms 20Hz to 20KHz for 2 channels. Based on the spec I feel it should be play good sound with good BASS in 2 channel mode on RF-82.

Any idea, why I am not getting good BASS in RF-82 while playing in Stereo Mode without SUB.

Please advise whether I need to go with different Amp?

Or

I need to buy integrated stereo amp and connect both AVR and Integrate with these speakers? If yes how to do?

Or

Simply move to Higher grade AVR like Denon 4530 or above

Or

Bi-amp Denon AVR 3312 for front speakers.

Or

any other advice?

Thanks,

Pravin Ebenezer

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm a little confused. It seems like you are saying you have the speakers set to large but you also have a crossover set at 80hz. If your speakers are set to large there is no crossover setting applied. With 48 inch Wolfers you should definitely be getting a decent amount of bass.

Can you post a picture of your room so we can see how do your speakers are set up and where their position?

• Like 1

I'm a little confused. It seems like you are saying you have the speakers set to large but you also have a crossover set at 80hz. If your speakers are set to large there is no crossover setting applied. With 48 inch Wolfers you should definitely be getting a decent amount of bass.

Can you post a picture of your room so we can see how do your speakers are set up and where their position?

heck yeah!! 48" woofers would make a TON OF BASS!

Your denon should be just fine. Something isn't setup right. I run all my speakers on small. And the for music I like to go into Manila setup change sub to no and mains automatically to full band. Then I prefer audyssey off for music

And youth you can set speakers to large and still select a crossover. It's if you hit no sub they switch to full band.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ha....gotta love talk to text.  I was trying to "say" (4) 8" woofers....

What is Manila set-up

Nice... :lol:

And youth you can set speakers to large and still select a crossover. It's if you hit no sub they switch to full band.

Hmmmm....I'll have to give that one some more thought.  Still trying to process that.

• Like 1

Ha....gotta love talk to text. I was trying to "say" (4) 8" woofers....

What is Manila set-up

Nice... :lol:

Hmmmm....I'll have to give that one some more thought. Still trying to process that.
domt process too hard. Think I'm mixing my onkyo and denon meus together in my head and making stuff up.
  • Like 2

I have a 3312 also. Run speakers as small and XO at 60-80 hz. When listening to music you have to turn audyssey off and switch to manual eq. Then manually eq to your liking. I also run two channel stereo mode with sub on. It sounds very good and lacks no bass even when I had my RF62II's. It sounds like $#!T if you keep audyssey on for two channel music listening IMO.

Edited by Coleman

Pravin,

There is a great information and troubleshooting thread at the AVS forum.

Start here: The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread

There is a wealth of information in this thread, and it has been very well laid out. I find it curious that you decided to not use your sub while in stereo mode. If that is the case, you will not have the same bass response as with subs. Sound has a lot more to do with the room than you may know. Those extra sub drivers really make a difference.

My advice, listen in 2.1 mode.

• Like 1

This is from post 3, section 11 t of the previously mentioned owner's thread. The answer to getting 2.1 is bold :

t. Sub not working: If there is no audio coming from the sub, it could be the sub is dead, the sub's power cord isn't plugged in and the sub powered ON, the sub coax digital cable is bad, there is an issue with the AVR sub preout, or the AVR's speaker settings are incorrect. First make sure the sub is plugged in and powered ON. Remove the cable from the AVR sub preout jack and rub your finger over the connector tip. You should hear some static from the sub. If not, replace the cable with another cable (use a "yellow" composite video cable to test with) and try again. If still no noise from the sub, then you may have a busted sub. Otherwise if there is noise from the sub, the issue is with the AVR. Make sure that all speakers are set to SMALL (Manual Setup as well as 2CH Direct/Stereo custom settings if your model has this feature) with no lower than 80hz crossovers which will then pass all audio below 80hz to the sub. If you have your front speakers set to LARGE and the sub set to LFE, then although the sub will play the low bass in the 0.1 (LFE) channel during DD/DTS 5.1 movies, it will not play the low bass in stereo (2.0) music unless you change the sub setting to LFE+Main, although the issue with no bass during music is alleviated if the front mains are set to SMALL w/80hz crossovers as is suggested after running AUTO SETUP.

Run pure direct or direct when playing two channel music with the Denon. This way you can hear the raw signal and possibly move your speaker around in the corner to optimize the bass for them. EQing will just muddy up the signal IMO.  Then turn on your sub and figure the levels for it. When I go to the small setting regardless of the freq. cutoff setting, it sounds like more bass is sent to my sub and Im set at LFE+mains also.  These Denon AVR's kind of have a mind of their own when it comes to the lower freq. distribution.  Im at the point where I don't even like my sub on when Im listening to two channel music and only use it with 5.1 DTS audio or a DVDA 5.1 Audio.   

Your denon should be just fine. Something isn't setup right. I run all my speakers on small. And the for music I like to go into Manila setup change sub to no and mains automatically to full band. Then I prefer audyssey off for music

Hi, My Room Size is 11 feet * 17.5 feet. You can see the my profile picture, show RF82 and sub.

Mustang Guy (directly upstream) quoted from your Denon manual and that sounds like what might be wrong.

he states he sets the sub to LFE plus main. I find myself with audussey that it's perfect for movies. With music I bump the sub up 6db IF I use the sub. Lots of times I change audussey off and then sub to no and mains switch automatically to full band.

Mustang Guy (directly upstream) quoted from your Denon manual and that sounds like what might be wrong.

he states he sets the sub to LFE plus main. I find myself with audussey that it's perfect for movies. With music I bump the sub up 6db IF I use the sub. Lots of times I change audussey off and then sub to no and mains switch automatically to full band.

I saw that, but he stated also that he is having trouble in stereo 2.0, which tells me he has disabled the sub during stereo listening. Kinda contradictory...

I get that but he chooses to configure it as 2.0 it reads to me. He is wondering why there is no bass when he plays stereo. I'm guessing the audyssey is hindering as well as possibly maybe just powering the sub off vs actually turning it off in the menu? Definitely a setup issue. As the 82's are capable of a large amount of bass on their own.

Edited by Scrappydue

I had the same thing happen with my Yamaha RX-A1030. Since my fronts were set to “LARGE”, the receiver deemed them adequate enough to produce enough low frequency and didn’t send a signal to the sub when set to 2 channel (paraphrasing from the manual). The RX-A1030 has a setting called “Extra Bass” that I had to turn on in order to send low frequencies to the sub during 2 channel listening. Luckily, it only seems to affect 2.1 channel listening and not 5.1 (bass isn’t over powering when watching TV). It also turns my sub "off" when I select "Pure Direct Mode".

I copied this part from the Denon AVR-3312CI manual from Crutchfield. I didn't see anything about an extra bass type feature like the Yamaha. Maybe try setting your fronts to small? However it would change the frequency for the RF-82II's.

denon.jpg

Edited by comay
  • Like 1