A few new Reference subs for your booty

Chad

Why is the 15" model only 75lbs? This worries me, when you consider similar priced subs from the likes of HSU, SVS, Rythmik, PSA ect ALL have internal full cross bracing on their subs, and are considerably heavier.

Surely you realize that a very similarly priced SVS PB-2000 weighs 10 pounds lighter than the Klipsch and a PSA XS15se with the same size driver is 8 pounds lighter. Considering the typical street price, these both cost more than the Klipsch.

It's not the cross bracing that makes other offerings significantly heavier anyway. There are drivers alone that weigh more than this entire sub/cabinet/amp all put together. Cross bracing is cheap and light. Driver weight can vary wildly and changes the total weight much more than any braces.

And also, why not up the amp power? 800 watts of dynamic power really isn't that much, it should be 800 watts RMS, not dynamic.

Ever think that maybe you should match the amp with the driver instead of blindly running up the numbers for bragging rights? This driver is pretty efficient and the amp flexes these subs nicely. Doubling the amp's power while doing nothing else would probably do more harm than good.

Why not extend down to 15-16hz and give the sub a larger port..? That port opening is awfully short looking. It should have a port closer to the size of an mfw-15. I really just don't understand some of the design decisions... :/ :(

You need to go back to subwoofer design 101. :) The area of a sub's port alone has nothing to do with its tuning frequency. Larger ones can simply move more air without huffing. When you do that though you have to make the port longer to maintain the tuning frequency, which adds to the cost and weight. As long as its not huffing, there's really no need to make the port opening larger. These don't huff.

I am actually aware of all of those points. But my point still stands, that if it's only 5lbs heavier than the SW-115 (which had terrible bracing, and a trusted member of AVSforum verified it), which is very troubling. That means they haven't added much heft to the driver or the bracing. 5lbs is nothing in the subwoofer world. I am not trying to be controversial or offend anyone. I am asking questions that SHOULD be asked. I look up pictures of the internals, driver, amp specs, port size, ect before making ANY subwoofer purchase, and so should everyone else. Asking these questions is a GOOD THING. It makes us all more informed customers. I should especially ask these questions when Klipsch hasn't produced a single note worthy subwoofer since the RSW and RT series subwoofers. I am a long LONG time lover of Klipsch speakers, and am just asking honest questions. ;)

Also, your SVS and PSA comparison to the Klipsch makes no sense and holds no water. The SVS is a 12" subwoofer, and the PSA is sealed.

Edited by ninjai18

Also, your SVS and PSA comparison to the Klipsch makes no sense and holds no water. The SVS is a 12" subwoofer, and the PSA is sealed.

Why did you even bring up SVS in the first place then? They don't even make a 15, and their closest thing costs $2,000 which doesn't exactly fit your similarly priced criteria. You're bringing this stuff up, not me.

The PSA XV15SE is actually ported and its a whopping 8 pounds heavier. That's hardly enough data to deduct that it must be braced significantly better. Like you said:

5lbs is nothing in the subwoofer world.

8 pounds isn't much different.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

All of these new subwoofers have more bracing than the previous SW line. The subs also have an improved assembly method to increase rigidity. They also have a new port design that reduces turbulence. There is more to the sound than the specs lead you to believe. The woofers are an all new design as well. 

• Like 1

Why not extend down to 15-16hz... mfw-15...

I was just looking, the MFW-15 actually has the same frequency response on the low end as these. The 15-16 hz is in-room extension. The Klipsch ought to be the same way. That sub actually has 50 watts less power as well.

Anyway, all I know is that two of these things shake the hell out of my house. There's a couple of things I don't like but the perceived lack of output down low isn't even on the radar. Based on output alone at 20-30 hz, if I had to choose between two of these and my two sealed Ultimax 18's (which weigh nearly 130 pounds each) with an iNuke 6000 on them, I'd probably have to pick these.

Loving mine! The are tooooooo much bass with my Khorns when listening to music. Perfect with movies. Turned down to 4 on the subs and 0 on my receiver. I'm actually nervous they are going to rattle things loose in my house. My SW-115's were at 8.5-9 on the subs and plus 5 in my receiver. BIG difference!

Is there some magic I don't know of that makes the good?

No magic.  Just the advancement in subwoofer technology and materials that I referred to in your other thread.

If it's easier to conceptualize, just think of automotive advancements from the time that your KSW-12 was built to current day.

Why did you even bring up SVS in the first place then? They don't even make a 15, and their closest thing costs $2,000 which doesn't exactly fit your similarly priced criteria. You're bringing this stuff up, not me.

The PSA XV15SE is actually ported and its a whopping 8 pounds heavier. That's hardly enough data to deduct that it must be braced significantly better. Like you said:

5lbs is nothing in the subwoofer world.

8 pounds isn't much different.

You said XS15se, not the XV.

Why not extend down to 15-16hz... mfw-15...

I was just looking, the MFW-15 actually has the same frequency response on the low end as these. The 15-16 hz is in-room extension. The Klipsch ought to be the same way. That sub actually has 50 watts less power as well.

Anyway, all I know is that two of these things shake the hell out of my house. There's a couple of things I don't like but the perceived lack of output down low isn't even on the radar. Based on output alone at 20-30 hz, if I had to choose between two of these and my two sealed Ultimax 18's (which weigh nearly 130 pounds each) with an iNuke 6000 on them, I'd probably have to pick these.

This is what confuses me, how on earth could they compete with 18" Ultimax subs with the iNuke 6000?? That is a VERY powerful setup. If that's true, these will be my next subs!! :D Again, I would really REALLY like to see pics of the internal bracing, can anyone hook us up with some pics? Pretty please!! :D

This is what confuses me, how on earth could they compete with 18" Ultimax subs with the iNuke 6000?? That is a VERY powerful setup.

Because one is sealed and the other is ported. At close to the tuning frequency the port cranks out way more sound than the driver itself does. If the Klipsch were sealed then no they wouldn't be able to hang. As an overall package they aren't really comparable but specifically talking about in-room output around 25 hz yeah these things can crank it out.

LOL, "man up"...? :rolleyes: Oh boy, you're one of those... Okay tough guy, I'm asking for someone who ALREADY OWNS THEM to post pics of the internals. F**k off if you don't like me asking.

oh let me just spend a bunch of money and take apart my subwoofer to please your curiosity. Get real! By the way you can ask all day. You don't have to tell me to f$&@ off. But I highly doubt with your attitude that anyone will indulge your request in here.

I'm asking for someone who ALREADY OWNS THEM to post pics of the internals.

I just can't get over the insistence that they're either a piece of junk or a worthy competitor based on whether they have a single little brace as shown in the SVS below, with the overall weight being used as supposed evidence.  It makes no sense, and nobody is going to tear apart their sub to satisfy this inquiry.  

21cca5bb_file_zps2b0fbb58.jpeg

• Like 1