A few new Reference subs for your booty

Chad

From the link Chad provided:

The R-115SW subwoofer is the perfect combination of power, sophisticated and heart-pounding bass. Packing a seriously punch, the R-115SW will not only wake your neighbors, it'll piss them off. The way only Klipsch can. (bolding mine)

Klipsch didn't insert the vulgarity thoughtlessly, and I'm sure they have deliberate reasons for using that exact phrase.  I'll speak for myself, I don't like it; I find it tasteless.  It's 1970's thinking.  In fact, it's 1970's thinking that didn't work even in the 1970's. 

I already have a Klipsch sub, but with that kind of advertising it doesn't make me feel like I want to buy another.  I'm just not the kind of person who has such anger, that I want to buy a product just to piss off another human being.

Personally I enjoy the unapologetic passive-aggressive old school marketing. :)  I think nothing of it and sometimes it makes me grin.  Being politically correct and nice is for Bose fans.  

• Like 1

For those wondering what "new subs" we have in the pipeline that we've yet to announce, what I can say is this:

Klipsch has no current plans to release a sub that is better than the R-115SW at this time. We feel extremely confident that this is a great subwoofer, and it was even built with RF-7 systems in mind. It's that good, especially at the price point it's at. It really opens up the door for economically adding a dual-subwoofer setup that doesn't sacrifice on quality, in any regard. These are seriously bad-*** subs.

Thanks Chad for that info.

If I was not so sub "heavy" right now, I think I might just jump right in with both feet.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators
Being politically correct and nice is for Bose fans.

Not sure I agree with that but it's cool to agree to disagree.  I'm with wvu80, it's not my preferred method of marketing...has nothing to do with being politically correct.  I just don't see it being necessary in order to make a bold, edgy statement.  And just for the record....I don't care for BOSE.  :D:lol::P

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

Klipsch has no current plans to release a sub that is better than the R-115SW at this time.

BOOOO.......Not even in cherry to match my RF7 IIs. Are these made in America or China?

Yeah Chad, how about some real wood veneers for a "minimal" premium over the standard vinyl subs?

Bill

• Like 1

For those wondering what "new subs" we have in the pipeline that we've yet to announce, what I can say is this:

Klipsch has no current plans to release a sub that is better than the R-115SW at this time. We feel extremely confident that this is a great subwoofer, and it was even built with RF-7 systems in mind. It's that good, especially at the price point it's at. It really opens up the door for economically adding a dual-subwoofer setup that doesn't sacrifice on quality, in any regard. These are seriously bad-*** subs.

I would really like to see a home version of the KPT-684, or even half that size, one that is more focused on low frequency response and not so much on sheer loudness, closer to the JTR Captivator S1 and S2.  The hardcore home theaters are using this type of stuff and running powerful pro amps.  It would be cool to see Klipsch embrace this in the consumer world.  You're already making the KPT-684 so it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, it is obviously possible.  Currently I myself am running an iNuke 6000 to two 18's, would have been nice to have a Klipsch alterative to such a thing.  That amp actually works great for this, having a Klipsch cabinet even if it had no internal amp would be awesome.  

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-684/details

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s2/#

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s1/

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Klipsch has no current plans to release a sub that is better than the R-115SW at this time. We feel extremely confident that this is a great subwoofer, and it was even built with RF-7 systems in mind. It's that good, especially at the price point it's at. It really opens up the door for economically adding a dual-subwoofer setup that doesn't sacrifice on quality, in any regard. These are seriously bad-*** subs.

I would really like to see a home version of the KPT-684, or even half that size, one that is more focused on low frequency response and not so much on sheer loudness, closer to the JTR Captivator S1 and S2. The hardcore home theaters are using this type of stuff and running powerful pro amps. It would be cool to see Klipsch embrace this in the consumer world. You're already making the KPT-684 so it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, it is obviously possible. Currently I myself am running an iNuke 6000 to two 18's, would have been nice to have a Klipsch alterative to such a thing. That amp actually works great for this, having a Klipsch cabinet even if it had no internal amp would be awesome.

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-684/details

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s2/#

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-s1/

klipsch kpt-884.
  • Like 1

Looking at the published specs this looks comparable to the RSW-15 but I wonder if the older sub hits those lower notes cleaner and has lower distortion? One of the things I like about my subs is that they are excellent for music and with the majority of the speakers crossed over at 60 Hz can't tell where  the speaker leaves off and the sub picks up...That said, dual subs is the way to go! B)

• Like 1

klipsch kpt-884.

It's just massive for home use, thought that's why you sold yours:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150471-behemoth-kpt-884-subwoofer-for-sale/

For a visual:

One JTR captivator with a single 18 - 21 x 21 x 16.25 :

CapoutoftheCRV.jpg

One kpt-884 with a single 18 - 22.5 x 35.75 x 49.75:

14164442475_9c32e856d3_b.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

You asked why Klipsch didn't make a single 18 that can get down?!? So I told you that they did. Now is it a single sealed sub like a JTR S1 no. Is it much bigger than a JTR S2? No. It's also 1400$ vs 3000$ so you pay for a convienance of a smaller box for sure.

• Like 1

You asked why Klipsch didn't make a single 18 that can get down?!? So I told you that they did. Now is it a single sealed sub like a JTR S1 no. Is it much bigger than a JTR S2? No.

I want one that is a smaller cabinet, with a flat frequency response, while retaining 18" drivers, and can take a ton of power. The JTR is a good example of that. Comparing apples to apples with one driver each yeah the JTR is quite a bit smaller, yet flatter. The JTR is only 1 db down at 22 hz while the Klipsch is down 3 db at 27 hz. The Klipsch can barely get to 18 hz at -10 db and I imagine it's done after that, while the JTR can shake your house down to the single digit realm. The Klipsch can take 600 watts RMS and the JTR pairs it up with a 2,400 watt rms amp, the S2 jumping to 4,000 watts rms. Yes I'd love a Klipsch version of something closer to the JTR Captivator just like my original statement said.

It's also 1400$ vs 3000$ so you pay for a convienance of a smaller box for sure.

Of course they are internet direct so it's a little hard to compare, but the single 18 is $2,399 and that includes a 2,400 watt rms amp.

Hmm sounds like someone has been reading spec sheets. I can assure you that in room the kpt-884 is FLAT to 18 hz and then rolls off fairly quickly after but that will play reference and have no issues with 97% of movies out there.

If you want JTR performance and can diy I HEAR they use FI audio drivers. Maybe look at their offerings, build a similar sized enclosure and go pro amp and have it finished somewhere to match existing speakers. Then you get same performance, even more dsp and for a fraction of the price.

Yes I'd love a Klipsch version of something closer to the JTR Captivator just like my original statement said.

Disclaimer:  This is my personal opinion and have nothing factual to base this on.

Klipsch has always been primarily in the speaker business.  Subwoofers were an afterthought as the market demanded them during the beginning of the home theater movement.  They never spent a ton of their resources in R&D of subwoofer drivers when compared to a subwoofer only company.  The drivers make the sub.  To me subs have never been their main focus.  They're very low in the bang for the buck area also.  Klipsch developed a decent bang for the buck sub with the Sub 10 and Sub 12 only to be plagued with amp issues which took people from praising their subs and turned them into bashers.  If it sounds like I'm hating, I'm not.  I'll never own anything other than Klipsch speakers.  I don't see myself buying one of their subs though (unless things change drastically).

• Like 1

If you want JTR performance and can diy

I can and have done DIY but I don't particularly enjoy it anymore, plus if you ever need to sell it you pretty much have to give your projects away. JTR performance offered by a household name though, that would be awesome.