Cats and Subwoofers and Grilles

JiminSTL

Non-technical but important question--to me. 

Am getting close to a DIY project to build a sub (maybe a "Johnnysub" with an 18" woofer).  My question revolves around my 3 declawed cats.  

Does anyone have any similar experience?  I suppose that I should have a design which includes a grille cover?  Or not (likely) to be necessary?

I welcome your comments!

I've got a cat (had two but one finally reached the end of her life's journey after 13 years).

I have grills on some things.

I'm still wondering what exactly, is your question?

My remaining cat, Carrot-top (since he's orange but I usually call him Manson because he's always bringing in beheaded rabbits or gutted mice or other bloody things)...anyways, Manson has his claws and will claw at the carpet and sometimes the furniture.  He has yet to claw at the grill covering the wall opening (with a LaScala behind it)

LaScalas, Khorns & Jubilee's are nice because they don't have any (or minimal) grill cover area.

If you're afraid you cat may claw, or Pee on your speakers, Just sit and watch while the cat checks them out, could put some BAIT in front of the speaker.  When Kitty gets close to the speaker go from 0 to 105db in about half a second.  Should make Kitty stay away.  Although occasional re-education may be needed.

• Like 1

Ya know Taz, that brings up an old memory.  (I have told this before so if it's a repeat, pardon me)

I had just bought my LaScalas.  Had my best buddy over.  They were hooked to a Yamaha CR-2040 (120/channel).

I put Boston's Longtime on the TT and unbeknown to my pal, I had hit the -20db mute button on the receiver. 

I had the volume knob about 13.  My buddy was standing about 2-3 feet in front of them.  As the beginning of Longtime built & built...heading to that initial creshendo, I timely hit the "un" mute button and he jumped away from the speakers so hard he actually landed on his butt.

For a couple of 19 year olds, it was pretty funny.  (more funny to me than to him)

• Like 2

If you're afraid you cat may claw, or Pee on your speakers, Just sit and watch while the cat checks them out, could put some BAIT in front of the speaker.  When Kitty gets close to the speaker go from 0 to 105db in about half a second.  Should make Kitty stay away.  Although occasional re-education may be needed.

Taz, I was about to post the same thing. I did that to my two cats and they want nothing to do with the speakers at all. Worked like a charm! Took them a week just to come back into the room..LOL

• Like 1

Cats (at least most of them) are smart enough to learn. If they get close to your speakers and look like they want to scratch shoot them with a squirt gun. In return, go to the pet store and get them a one of those cardboard scratchers. Put a little catnip on it and they will leave everything else alone.

Just saw your cats a de-clawed. I don't understand the issue.

I've got big horns and my cats like to wander inside. They don't harm anything.

All three like to stand up on their hind legs and "paw" the speaker fronts, as if it were a scratching post.  What I have done is to create a mixture of water and vinegar in a spray bottle, and then mist the grille covers, repeating every month or so.  Seems to do the trick.

All three like to stand up on their hind legs and "paw" the speaker fronts, as if it were a scratching post.  What I have done is to create a mixture of water and vinegar in a spray bottle, and then mist the grille covers, repeating every month or so.  Seems to do the trick.

Should work for the sub then also.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the Pavlovian high db aversion therapy.

Not to hijack your thread, but Coytee reminded me of a similar experience.  In my misspent youth, I owned Bose 901s and a Dynaco 400 (220 watts/channel) stove.  A college friend and I lived in my sister's basement one summer while painting her house.  While he slept, I cued up Pink Floyd's DSOTM to just before the point where there is a cacophony of alarm clocks.  With the volume cranked way up, I took off the mute and watched my friend levitate from his slumber.  He was not amused, but I couldn't stop laughing.

If I'd pumped that much SS power into a La Scala, I would've put out his eye with a phenolic diaphragm.