It's Here!

BigStewMan

Guest Steven1963

WE HAVE MORE DRUNKIN DRIVERS ON THE ROADS,,THAN EBOLA VICTOMS ON THE STREETS,,,CALM DOWN,,,

I don't think anyone is panicking.  For the most part, I see everyone commenting on their disgust of how this is being handled.  It doesn't have to be like this.  But we seem to have politicians more worried about other things than the safety of people in this country. 

And also, what will you say when this has spread to several cities and a few thousand people?  It's not out of the realm of possibility.  Personally, there is much to be said about being extra alert.  You certainly don't see wildlife drinking from a pond without being alert when they know danger lurks just below the surface.  It's the ones that aren't careful that become a meal for something else.

WE HAVE MORE DRUNKIN DRIVERS ON THE ROADS,,THAN EBOLA VICTOMS ON THE STREETS,,,CALM DOWN,,,

I am plenty calm   !!!!!!!!!!

Being drunk is not contagious,  Again for the reading challenged its the ignorance in how this is being handled I find / take issue with.  

its pretty obvious self quarantine is not working very well

(To use your analogy) The Govt would  simply tell habitual drunk drivers to self police,  Experience shows it does not work and people die. Thus the reason for several criminal laws on the books.  

I would rather see a proactive response to the virus so no one else has to die 

Apples to oranges..........  But, seriously - any disease with a consistent 50+ % mortality rate merits a great deal of concern.  Every case of Ebola provides that virus an opportunity to mutate in the many billions of replications.  They believe that this strain of Ebola does have a mutation that is causing it to be more infectious.  It is not airborne but it does reach a viral load that is unusually heavy and highly contagious given the least of opportunity.  That heavy viral load means that in every victim the virus replicates a lot - trillions??  Humanity does not want Ebola to evolve into an airborne strain and this epidemic is giving Ebola the best chances of doing that very thing.

There are two major different strains of Ebola, the other variation is airborne but more so associated with monkeys. The questions I want answered and nobody seems to be able to answer are:

1)  We know that sunlight kills this strain, is it the ultra violet spectrum, and how long does it take?

2) We know that it lives on surfaces, but for how long relatively?? I am sure that the length of longevity is affected and variable by the amount of light and possibly air, but give us some scenarios to go by?

Roger

There are two major different strains of Ebola, the other variation is airborne but more so associated with monkeys. The questions I want answered and nobody seems to be able to answer are:

1)  We know that sunlight kills this strain, is it the ultra violet spectrum, and how long does it take?

2) We know that it lives on surfaces, but for how long relatively?? I am sure that the length of longevity is affected and variable by the amount of light and possibly air, but give us some scenarios to go by?

Roger

Ebola on dry surfaces can survive for several hours.  Ebola in body fluids such as captured samples or soiled clothes can survive for several days.  UV light kills most bacteria and viruses and is harmful to humans as well.  Artificial UV light is used in sterilizing processes in hospital and manufacturing settings and even in home spas.

If there is a small fire in the woods a mile from your house, do you try to fireproof your house or go put out the fire before it becomes huge? 

I like your analogy. Since i work for the government … we form a committee to study both options. Wait a minute, this looks like it has the possibility to be a serious problem … better form a task force.

Edited by BigStewMan

The first paragraph below is from a nurse for Doctors Without Borders.  She is upset that she was placed in quarantine upon her arrival back in the United States from Sierra Leone.  I think this nurse is blowing things way out of proportion. Here’s my suggested fix…you plan to volunteer in West Africa for 8 weeks?  Spend 5 weeks there working and 3 weeks in isolation before you reenter society. 

"I had spent a month watching children die, alone," she wrote. "I had witnessed human tragedy unfold before my eyes. I had tried to help when much of the world has looked on and done nothing... I sat alone in the isolation tent and thought of many colleagues who will return home to America and face the same ordeal. Will they be made to feel like criminals and prisoners?"

Now consider this ...

Are you moving to Hawaii with pets or just visiting but can’t leave your furry family members behind? In order to save time, heart-ache, and money… here is a summarized version of Hawaii’s Animal Quarantine Law and qualifying your pet for the “5 Day or Less Program.”

Hawaii’s Animal Quarantine Law

1. Your pet must have been vaccinated at least twice for rabies in its lifetime, and they must have been administered more than 30 days apart from one another. The most recent one must be done at least 90 days before the pet’s arrival to Hawaii but no later than the expiration date of the vaccine.
  2. Your pet must be “micro-chipped” prior to arrival… if the chip cannot be read, your pet will have to undergo the 120-day quarantine.
  3. Your veterinarian must draw blood samples and forward them to an approved lab for an OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood Test. After these results are received, (results are valid for three years) 120 days must pass before your animal arrives in Hawaii. Arriving before the full 120 days has elapsed will result in disqualification from the 5 day or less program!
  4. A veterinarian must treat your pet for ticks and pests with an approved product such as Fipronil and record it on your pet’s health certificate. (Within 14 days prior to arrival.) If there is any evidence of infestation upon inspection at the station, your pet can be quarantined despite meeting all the other criteria.
  5. All documents need to be mailed to the Animal Quarantine Station at least ten days in advance of your pet’s arrival and they must be originals. No fax or photocopies will be accepted. (Do keep copies for your records.)

The animal inspection office is only open from 8:00AM – 5:00PM. Make sure that you are on a flight that arrives in Honolulu by 3:30PM if you plan on taking your pet home that day. (It could take as long as an hour for your pet to be transferred from the plane.)

Fees

Direct release at the airport is $165 per pet, $224 for the 5 day or less program, and $1080 for the full 120-day quarantine. They can process this payment on-site but recommend you mail it in together with the other documentation to avoid long waits.

Sound like a huge hassle? Yep, but if you’re half the animal-lover I am… you know it’s worth it

Edited by BigStewMan

The first paragraph below is from a nurse for Doctors Without Borders.  She is upset that she was placed in quarantine upon her arrival back in the United States from Sierra Leone.  I think this nurse is blowing things way out of proportion. Here’s my suggested fix…you plan to volunteer in West Africa for 8 weeks?  Spend 5 weeks there working and 3 weeks in isolation before you reenter society. 

"I had spent a month watching children die, alone," she wrote. "I had witnessed human tragedy unfold before my eyes. I had tried to help when much of the world has looked on and done nothing... I sat alone in the isolation tent and thought of many colleagues who will return home to America and face the same ordeal. Will they be made to feel like criminals and prisoners?"

It is very noble that she went to help and deserves much respect for that.  But after "wintessing human tragedy and watching children die" she has issue with taking precautions so that this does not spread here.  Especially after seeing how Dallas was handled.  WTF?

If she was actually treated as a criminal or prisioner, then that is just plain wrong.  But she should have no issue with a quarrintine. 

It is very noble that she went to help and deserves much respect for that.  But after "wintessing human tragedy and watching children die" she has issue with taking precautions so that this does not spread here.  Especially after seeing how Dallas was handled.  WTF?

If she was actually treated as a criminal or prisioner, then that is just plain wrong.  But she should have no issue with a quarrintine. 

+1, very well stated

Agreed - caregivers returning from treating Ebola cases should consider their 21 day quarantine as simply the final stage in that process.  And of all the people who should understand its need it should be those who just witnessed the fury of the infection.  Now - mebbe we should present these folks with a quarantine situation that is a lot more welcoming and friendly.  After all they did just extend themselves to aid the entire planet - they should not be treated as pariahs but welcomed home and given some special accommodation during this quarantine stage.  It would have to be a step down process.  Everyone brought home would need to stays their 21 days and not be commingled with those recently returning from these regions.

• Like 2

Agreed - caregivers returning from treating Ebola cases should consider their 21 day quarantine as simply the final stage in that process.  And of all the people who should understand its need it should be those who just witnessed the fury of the infection.  Now - mebbe we should present these folks with a quarantine situation that is a lot more welcoming and friendly.  After all they did just extend themselves to aid the entire planet - they should not be treated as pariahs but welcomed home and given some special accommodation during this quarantine stage.  It would have to be a step down process.  Everyone brought home would need to stays their 21 days and not be commingled with those recently returning from these regions.

Very well put. These people deserve a 21 day "vacation", if not also a medal.

Very well put. These people deserve a 21 day "vacation", if not also a medal.

I agree.  I just don’t understand why being subject to a 21-day quarantine is viewed so negatively by the volunteers.  Is it just basic human nature of people not liking being told what to do?  Just heard on the radio some other country said that health care workers should NOT be quarantined -- seems everyone is afraid that it will discourage volunteers.  i just don’t get it.