Wine lovers here?

jimjimbo

Have been enjoying, drinking and collecting wine for about 35 years....Nowadays, have a small cellar mostly with cab and Bordeaux blends.  Have some great Washington State wines most folks have never heard of.  I have a feeling there are a few wine lovers here....Perhaps we could start an ongoing thread here, like the "Scotch and Cigars" thread?  

To get it started, had a bottle of 2009 Figgins Walla Walla Valley Red Blend tonight with a marinated skirt steak on the grill.  Figgins is the family name of the same folks that produce Leonetti wines in Washington State.  Fantastic Bordeaux blend.  Really, really great stuff and I believe there are still openings on the mailing (purchasing) list.  Leonetti is long closed.....

http://www.figginswine.com/

My favorite vineyard is Caymus. I like reds with deep coloration and legs. A good Chianti table wine will get me by just fine, but for special occasions I like to wet my whistle with a decent Cabernet.

My wife and I tried MD2020 when we were poor, and it gave us both a terrible headache after a few sips. We were convinced it was spiked with antifreeze, as the urban myth stated. We threw it out and went for some Old Milwaukee . At least it didn't give us a headache (until the next morning that is). Wow, that was 30 years ago.  :)

Well, hey, good response already....great!  A week or two in Burgundy?  Well, lah de dah!!  Just kidding, that's cool. So are you partial to red or white burgundy?  or both?  

Let's keep this thread active.  Would love to hear of some everyday drinking recommendations, as well as some special occasion items.  Recommendation for wine shops in your locales would be cool too.  I'm always looking for a nice shop wherever I travel.  Thanks again for your responses.  Jim

BTW, I have recently been using Charles Shaw cab to clean my tools, seriously, it's that bad.... :(

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

My wife and I tried MD2020 when we were poor, and it gave us both a terrible headache after a few sips. We were convinced it was spiked with antifreeze, as the urban myth stated. We threw it out and went for some Old Milwaukee . At least it didn't give us a headache (until the next morning that is). Wow, that was 30 years ago.  

If you haven’t drank some Mad Dog at some point in your past--you’ve never partied. 

• Like 2

My wife and I tried MD2020 when we were poor, and it gave us both a terrible headache after a few sips. We were convinced it was spiked with antifreeze, as the urban myth stated. We threw it out and went for some Old Milwaukee . At least it didn't give us a headache (until the next morning that is). Wow, that was 30 years ago.  

If you haven’t drank some Mad Dog at some point in your past--you’ve never partied. 

Or suffered the effects of alcohol poisoning :)

• Like 1

Once upon a time, the grandparents were visiting for Christmas. They’re playing cards and drinking wine. They run out and my mom asked me to go the store and get them another bottle. I buy what they were drinking; but, i also bought a bottle of MD 20/20.  I give that to them, telling her that they were out of what she sent me to buy; but, the clerk recommended this one.  She took one drink, claimed it was whiskey, and told me to go get something else.

Edited by BigStewMan

Once upon a time, the grandparents were visiting for Christmas. They’re playing cards and drinking wine. They run out and my mom asked me to go the store and get them another bottle. I buy what they were drinking; but, i also bought a bottle of MD 20/20.  I give that to them, telling her that they were out of what she sent me to buy; but, the clerk recommended this one.  She took one drink, claimed it was whiskey, and told me to go get something else.

In keeping with the theme of the thread I would suggest that Thunderbird and Richards Wild Irish Rose should be considered equal to MD 2020 .

In keeping with the theme of the thread I would suggest that Thunderbird and Richards Wild Irish Rose should be considered equal to MD 2020 .

The old Thunderbird wine reminded me of Night Train.  :emotion-55:

They say that the Night Train only runs one way and that is from sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available. :emotion-19: :emotion-14:  :emotion-19:  

Boone’s Farm was another party favorite for which I can't remember much except for a bunch of empty bottles. :ph34r2:

night train wine.jpg

post-36163-0-64320000-1412543865_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

Have been enjoying, drinking and collecting wine for about 35 years....Nowadays, have a small cellar mostly with cab and Bordeaux blends.  Have some great Washington State wines most folks have never heard of.  I have a feeling there are a few wine lovers here....Perhaps we could start an ongoing thread here, like the "Scotch and Cigars" thread?  

To get it started, had a bottle of 2009 Figgins Walla Walla Valley Red Blend tonight with a marinated skirt steak on the grill.  Figgins is the family name of the same folks that produce Leonetti wines in Washington State.  Fantastic Bordeaux blend.  Really, really great stuff and I believe there are still openings on the mailing (purchasing) list.  Leonetti is long closed.....

http://www.figginswine.com/

Maybe Tigerman will see the thread as he has posted some interesting wines in the "Fine Food and Music" thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/134427-fine-food-and-music/page-1

I actually took a summer elective class in college, which was essentially a wine tasting tour with a few how-to lessons intertwined.  In addition, I used to go up to the Lake Erie islands where there were local wineries and tours but I sure could use a refresher since it has been a lot of years ago now. 

Did you see the Romanee-Conti burgundy wine sell for $1.6 million for 114 bottles from 19 vintages between 1992 - 2010?

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-hong-kong-wine-auction-breaks-single-lot-record-2014-10

Romanee-conti burgundy wine 2.jpg

Romanee-conti burgundy wine.jpg

post-36163-0-59240000-1412544429_thumb.j

post-36163-0-01000000-1412544442_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

The old Thunderbird wine reminded me of Night Train.  :emotion-55:

They say that the Night Train only runs one way and that is from sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available. :emotion-19: :emotion-14:  :emotion-19:  

Boone’s Farm was another party favorite for which I can't remember much. :ph34r2:

night train wine.jpg

I can remember how a night with "Boone's Farm" gave me the headache of the decade in the 1970's.....

I've been a wine salesman since 1979 [now retired]  and won "Master Wine Taster" 3 years in a row in New York back in the 90's. If you all promise to keep this between us I'll give you a secret. "Josh" California Cabernet of the 2012 vintage is the equal to many California cabs in the $35 - $40 range. It's that good……….. Retails in my area for about $12 bucks and it's fairly limited, so get it while you can.

The wife & I have a bottle of wine with dinner on Thursday thru Sunday nights, Mon-Weds are "AFD's" Alcohol Free Days! I have a modest collection with 200 or so bottles, only a few high end bottles, mostly received as gifts, my 50th birthday was useful in that regard. For the last decade or more I have been spending a lot of my vino money on red wines from Spain. Killer values that have been getting great reviews from Robert Parker among others. I keep a spreadsheet of wines under $20 that have gotten good reviews or that I have liked personally, if anyone wants a copy I will forward it to you.