Advice needed for F-150 tires

Daddy Dee

I'm about ready to replace tires on my 1999 F-150. 

It's a short bed regular cab v6 XL model. pretty close to a base model. 

"standard" tires are P235 70/R16 or P255 70/R16 or could also use P245 75/R16 Light Truck tires. 

current tires are P255 70/R16. They were new factory tire "take offs" from a new vehicle and left behind at a car dealer. 

really not sure if it originally had P235 or P255 tires, but it was probably P235.  This truck has been pretty kind to the tires it wears. 225K+ miles. 

they have always been all season M+S type tires. Most all of my driving is highway. Occasional gravel or dirt roads. Rarely or never off road for more than a few car lengths. certainly not for sport. 

In SE Arkansas, there is very little ice and snow. I would rather have a tire rated excellent in NOT hydroplaning. I've looked at consumer reports and see they also rate tires for rolling resistance. Not sure how much difference this might make in gas mileage. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Never have put Michelins on it. which is ok with me. good either way I'm hoping for less than $150 per tire. 

One thing, i lean toward made in USA tires just out of principle. even if the sub $100 Singapore made Dextero tires have good walmart customer reviews. 

post-9889-0-99280000-1413920254_thumb.jp

Edited by Daddy Dee
  • Like 1

My take on tires is this,if you were happy with the tires that you are replacing then stay with size and brand.

That's what I tell my customers. So if you got good miles and a good ride out of the ones you have on the truck now then buy the same.

Now if your looking to change there are a lot out there. My number 1 in tires is the Micheline line, but they come with a price tag. A good place to get info is thetirerack. I also like the Yokohama line of tires.

The OEM tire size will be on a sticker/tag on the drivers door or door jam.

Do your research.....good luck Mark...

• Like 1

Looks like you have the basic steel wheels that Ford offered with that truck. You might consider a new wheel/tire combo takeoff that would could probably had for near your $600.00 target. I have done this several times and it has worked out well for me. Check your local Craigslist for these type offerings.

• Like 1

Looks like you have the basic steel wheels that Ford offered with that truck. You might consider a new wheel/tire combo takeoff that would could probably had for near your $600.00 target. I have done this several times and it has worked out well for me. Check your local Craigslist for these type offerings.

Good advice. I bought a few sets of takeoff rims and tires for about the same price as a set of tires alone, and upgraded to factory mags. I bought mine off of Ebay.

• Like 1

There's a lot of good information at tirerack.com. 
Yes.  I suggest calling their 1-800 no., as they're always good to talk nuances with.  They definitely know their online info.

Also, Ford sales or service persons may come up with local considerations. 

• Like 1

I have run Michelins for years and really liked them but they've become so pricey I switched to Nitto Crossteks which were considerably less money and I like them even better . Excellent traction and great on the highway.

Forgot to mention Made in the USA !

Edited by Gnote
  • Like 2

BF Goodrich all terrain's are extremely popular for these trucks. I have an 04 F-150 and have a set. They are a good all around tire. Anything more aggressive and it would be a noisy mud tire, anything less would be a slick street tire. I think it's a good compromise. They're pricey though, ain't no getting them for $150 a tire, more like over twice that. I have the BFG mud terrain's on my jeep and like them better but they are pretty noisy and have more vibrations. AT's are very smooth and look good. I've heard of guys getting 80,000 miles on them if you rotate them often and keep an eye on the tire pressure.

• Like 2

Second vote for the BF Goodrich.  I run all terrains on my 2007 FX4.  I run 285/65/r20 which are the max I could put on without a lift kit (obviously not what you are wanting but they come in many sizes).  My truck looks great and performs very well in all conditions plus I have gotten 75K out of these in the past.  I will only run BFGs, I have since the 90s and will as long as they make them.  IMHO the best out there...

• Like 1