Help choosing an amp for my RF 82II speakers

videoluvr

I have a pair of 82,s and they just don't sound right.Im pretty sure its my old amp which puts out 63 watts per.I also have an eq with it.Can anyone help me choose a sub 1000 dollar amp that will awaken them?There are many to choose from but im not sure which would be best.

Thanks

I have a pair of 82,s and they just don't sound right.Im pretty sure its my old amp which puts out 63 watts per.I also have an eq with it.Can anyone help me choose a sub 1000 dollar amp that will awaken them?There are many to choose from but im not sure which would be best.

Thanks

tell us more about your room, listening levels, and other gear. 

Im running them in two channel stereo.My room is 10x15 feet and I need a new integrated.Im looking at a Yamaha a-s700sl.Is it a good choice?There are many nice amps under a grand to choose from.Anyone have outlaw audio?I want it to play loud as hell without distortion.Solid state is fine for me.

Edited by videoluvr

Im running them in two channel stereo.My room is 10x15 feet and I need a new integrated.Im looking at a Yamaha a-s700sl.Is it a good choice?There are many nice amps under a grand to choose from.I want it to play loud as hell without distortion.Solid state is fine for me.

Can't say for sure about the Yamaha A-S700 but I sure know I love it's bigger brother the A-S1000(gut shot photo as my current forum avatar) with my RB-75's.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas1000bl/yamaha-a-s1000-140-watt-stereo-integrated-stereo-amplifier/1.html

Or this Onkyo with built in DAC.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onka9070/onkyo-a-9070-stereo-integrated-amplifier/1.html

When I got my Yamaha A-S1000, I was going back and forth trying to decide between it and the Onkyo A-9070.  The Yamaha won out because it was in stock at A4Less and the Onkyo was not.

Are you open to used gear?

If so, this NAD C375Bee will play very loud and clean.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-375bee-integrated-amp-2014-11-15-integrateds-90004-los-angeles-ca

Bill

Edited by willland

Im running them in two channel stereo.My room is 10x15 feet and I need a new integrated.Im looking at a Yamaha a-s700sl.Is it a good choice?There are many nice amps under a grand to choose from.Anyone have outlaw audio?I want it to play loud as hell without distortion.Solid state is fine for me.

1st I think all here have gave good advice, so let me throw my 2 cents in. You say your running in two channel and you want to play it loud as hell......if your up to buying used.....I love the Carver amps. A Carver TFM 55x will drive those speakers, that most amps can't come close to. That amp will put out 375 watts all day long. Also the TFM 42/45 has the same spec.

But on the down side those amps are getting old......but deals are out there.....I also like the Crown amps.

Good luck Mark :-)

• Like 1

You don't need a ton of watts for the RF 82's.  For example a speaker of 98 db sensitivity at 1 watt means: 

1 watts = 98 db

10 watts = 108 db

100 watts = 118db

Lets assume you loose 9 watts due to a distance of 3 meter to the MLP, you will still have a spl of 108 db which is plenty loud.  To get to 118 db at the MLP you will need 1000 watts.

• 2 weeks later...

i have used my AVR - Marantz 7002 for a while at first - with the 82,s    there were fine for a while till i felt the need to add an amp -   i went with a pro amp - QSC GX5   --  i changed the fan to a quiet model with close to same specs and worked Great -  that really opened up the 82,s    i was good for many years that way -  till about last year -  i am now using Emo XP5  and i noticed another change on the low end with the emo amp -   i still have the GX5 and use that on my KG 3 - 

and have no problems - 

if you have a AVR already you like -  i love pro amps if you get a decent brand model etc, - not the low end brands -    i know alot of people shy away from the Pro amps -  but i have to say - they kick *** and will wake the 82,s  for sure

even though they can get loud on low wattage -  i didnt feel the impact in your chest till you really push them up there -   its LOUD -   now i am thinking of swaping the speaker wires to run the 82,s off the GX5 for a while just to see what i been missing  -    but i will put it back to the EMO amp after a short time -  i go back and forth -  with the KG 3 and Pro amp -  to the EMO and RF 82 -  for the 5.1 setup -  i use it more of 2 channel lately -   but enjoy a good blu ray for the effects of 5.1 -    the EMO amp is paired with the EMO Pre 7.1   -   the GX5 is only on the KG 3 speakers and i use the extra 2 channels from the EMO pre to run to the GX5 -  since i have a 5.1 Klipsch setup -   works great so far -