Plunge Saws, let's hear about them

tigerwoodKhorns

Makita, DeWalt and Festool seem to be the big 3 here in the USA. 

Looks like a DeWalt with a 59" and 102" track can be had for $550. 

So, how do you cut a 48" (or smaller, like 35" for that matter) with a 59" track?  How do you hold it down? 

Looks like the clamps go in the sides and slide in?

What do you think?  Looks like a great way to cut down sheets and pieces to big for the table saw. 

I'm sure that type of saw is the bees knees.  Whenever I need to make a long cut (which by irony, I have to make later today to shave a solid core door), I have an eight foot straight edge that breaks down into two four foot sections. 

I use it to draw long cut lines on drywall or, clamp it down and use it as my guide for my circular saw.  Love to have yet another tool but so far, can't justify the expense for one of those when my specific needs are met with the straight edge.  Maybe I'm missing something that the plunge saw does?

I don't recall if this is the exact one I have but you'll get the idea.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/straight%2520edge?NCNI-5

I've not seen one up close but I'd think with the shorter pieces that you start with the stop end as normal first then you just clamp the other end. The track looks heavy and rigid enough that it probably wouldn't move a ton but it would pivot on the stop.

I have a table saw and would consider buying something like this if space were a consideration.

OK, uh thanks?

I was thinking about Carl.  I found a comparison of Dewalt, Makita and Festool and they are very similar. 

As compared to using a straight edge (whih I have been doing for years) the plunge saw suppsidly is made so that you put your guide down n your marks (no measuring offsets or kerf) no clamps needed, plop your saw down and cut.  I don't believe that you do not need clamps.  If this is true, these saws are worth every penny as you can do all of your big cuts quickly, then smaller cuts (24" or less for me) on a table saw. 

Looks like a table and 4x8 sacrifice sheet of wod is alll that is needed. 

If you're working with full sheets of ply or just want extreme accuracy, a track saw is the way to go.  It's an incredible time saver.  It's also as accurate as you can measure.  I can't speak to the accuracy or usability of the Makita or Dewalt but the Festool is without a doubt my favorite wood working tool.  Clamps and guides are primitive by comparison however I used them for years and thought they were great.

If this is true, these saws are worth every penny as you can do all of your big cuts quickly, then smaller cuts (24" or less for me) on a table saw.

I wired my garage for a new table saw as I gave my old one to my son-in-law.  Since I got the tack saw, I haven't even looked for one.

If you're working with full sheets of ply or just want extreme accuracy, a track saw is the way to go.  It's an incredible time saver.  It's also as accurate as you can measure.  I can't speak to the accuracy or usability of the Makita or Dewalt but the Festool is without a doubt my favorite wood working tool.  Clamps and guides are primitive by comparison however I used them for years and thought they were great.

OK, full sheets.  Let's say you want to cut 30" x 27", how does the track work?   Do you need clamps or does the friction thing on the guide rail really work? 

You can certainly use the clamps.  I got the quick release ones which work well.  After you get comfortable with the saw, you use the clamps less and less.  Just line the marks up on the guides and apply downward pressure on the track with your free hand.  The non skid strips keep it from moving.  I generally only clamp on long runs and then just on the opposite end that I start cutting on.

Friction is sufficient to hold the track in place.  Clamping is optional.  Check youtube for Festool Track saw for several videos.

I cannot say enough good about Festool.  My entire shop is now Festool.  All tools work together as a system based on dust extraction.  No more messy clean up.  No more breathing deadly saw dust.

Buy the TS55 with a dust extractor (HEPA Vac) like the CT26 and don't look back.  You'll soon be adding sanders, routers, tables, drills, etc etc.  My favorite, go-to drill is the CSX with the 90 degree adapter.

I cannot say enough good about Festool. My entire shop is now Festool. All tools work together as a system based on dust extraction. No more messy clean up. No more breathing deadly saw dust.

I love the HEPA dust extractor.  You can make a cut and as long as your depth is set correctly, there's virtually no saw dust at all in the air or on the ground.  I use it with my DA sander and router also.  Really nice tool.

• Moderators
Ceptorman, on 01 Dec 2014 - 8:06 PM, said:

CECAA850, on 01 Dec 2014 - 7:53 PM, said:

I'd LOVE to have one of their jig saws but I don't have any current projects that would justify the purchase.

That's not a very good excuse to buy a tool you want :D

Easy, create a project someone really wants which requires a jigsaw, works every time.  :)

That thing really looks great.  However, I can't help but wonder why one needs their dust collector as opposed to yer basic shop vac. 

Dave

Big difference.  The Festool has HEPA filtration and nothing gets back in the air.  You also plug your tool into the Festool vac as opposed to the wall.  When you turn on your saw/sander etc, the vacuum automatically turns on and turns off when you turn your tool off.  The hose is made of a static resistant material with swivel ends and fits in most standard dust collection ports.  The vacuum speed is adjustable so that when you hook it up to a DA sander for example, you can turn the suction down so your sander doesn't get sucked into the surface and gouge it.

All the Festool tools are incredibly well thought out and designed to be several tiers above your garden variety tools.  You really can't appreciate the difference until you use normal tools and then try one of theirs.