Funny "going's on" at FutureShop....

oldenough

Some of you may have read my post in the H/T forum where I had to return my H/K AVR 3600 for repair under warranty at Futureshop about 6 weeks ago. So today I had to go back and make a choice of another receiver as my H/K could not be repaired, unfortunately Futureshop no longer sells Harman Kardon.. Well after much back and forth with the customer service lady and another associate at the store I decided that the best thing for them to do was to give me my faulty receiver back and I would see what to do after thinking on it. After a long silence and some confused looks an interesting story unfolded .... Seems my pristine, as in like new, H/K AVR 3600 had suffered from a gravitational occurrence, ie. someone dropped it before it got to the service centre for repair. They initially tried to blame this "accident" on me, and said they had neglected to notice the damage when I brought it into the store under warranty....I soon put them right on that theory!!! Apparently the service centre felt it was beyond repair. Not sure where I am going to go with this....Any advice?

Edited by oldenough

Gosh darn avatar switch.

Oldenough,

That eagle looks like one half of the pair that roost in the tall pine tree in my back yard.

Bill

Shot that photo at the "Harrison Hot Springs Bald Eagle Festival"...they hold it here every year...it's the largest gathering of Bald Eagles anywhere.

• Moderators

Well that's BS, from the way it sounded originally they were trying to rip you off, definitely does now, they dropped it. Sounds like there on the hook to me, start calling up the chain of command and see if that helps and don't settle for a receiver worth half the price you paid.(if possible) 

Sounds like :pwk_bs: all the way around.

Nothing short of money back.

I'm not familiar with FutureShop -- is it a chain, or is it online?   Either way they should cheerfully refund every cent.  If they decline to do so, write the CEO.  Or send your eagle after them.

• Like 1

I should have said at the start that I paid $349 for the AVR 3600 as it was their last H/K item and they were closing out on H/K...Yes it was a real bargain. My issue is that I gave them a quality receiver that could be repaired and they turned it into a write-off and were offering me a replacement that was much further down the food chain. What's more they down-right lied about it's status to begin with. I had even offered to take it back from them and find my own tech to repair it, even then they didn't fess-up about it's true status.

I'm not familiar with FutureShop -- is it a chain, or is it online?   Either way they should cheerfully refund every cent.  If they decline to do so, write the CEO.  Or send your eagle after them.

Hi Gary, it is a big box store...the "brick and mortar" type.

Hi Gary, it is a big box store...the "brick and mortar" type.

Thanks.  I Googled it and I see that they have 139 stores in Canada, and are (probably still) owned by Best Buy.  Maybe the employees, including customer service and whoever dropped it, are scared to death of loosing their jobs if they refund your money or give you the equivalent of the HK.  It's hard to know what the right thing to do is.

Long ago, I had the opposite experience.  I dropped a JBL tweeter on a concrete floor.  Entirely my fault, so it was not covered by JBL's Lifetime Warranty.  I contacted JBL, and they estimated the cost of repair at about 1/3 the cost of the tweeter.  I sent it to them.   A few days later, a brand new tweeter -- same model -- arrived at my home, with a brand new Lifetime Warranty, with a note that said somethng like, "Your tweeter would have been a pain in the *** to repair, so have a new one on us."

​1.  They give you an agreed amount of money; or

2.  They fix it; or

3.  They find you another one and give you that one as a replacement

Had the insurance company declare my car totaled. Told me what they claimed it was worth and that’s what i got out of them.  Years later was talking to a lawyer and told him the story, he told me that regardless of whether the insurance company declared it totaled, i could have demanded that they fix it.  I said, “they didn’t give me that option.” He said, “of course they didn’t. But, they would have had to fix it and they didn’t want you to know that."

• Like 1

Update...Well I decided that a well worded eMail to Head-Office explaining exactly what happened was in order, within an hour I had a response, and the following morning(today) a phone call from the store manager. The outcome?....A nice shiny new Pioneer Elite vsx-80...I think all is resolved....Squeaky wheel got the grease!!..... :)

• Like 1