Which Music player do you use for digital ? and why ?

joessportster

I bought a small cheap Acer mini laptop to hook up to my audio system as a dedicated music server for HD and other digital files. I keep the music on an external 2TB hard drive and use Foobar2000 to manage the music. Computer connected to Outlaw Audio 975 preamp via HDMI, then into my vintage McIntosh/Klipsch system. I really like it a lot. I used to use Itunes, but really could not stand the constant changes by CrApple with every update. Foobar is great for managing files, adding any artwork you want via tagging, converting between formats, etc. I keep everything as Flac files.

as of today, i store all of my music on a DIY homebrew NAS called unRAID. on that server I have an application called subsonic which enables me to play music on phone and computer when I'm not on the home network - transcodes everything to mp3 on the fly in order to save bandwidth.

at home I am using a raspberry pi b+ running Archphile. It's a very minimalistic package, but connects directly to my NAS (wirelessly!) with network shares and plays back bit perfect to my usb dac through a modified version of MPD. it also includes a module to enable Airplay streaming from my iOS devices.

i use an app called "beets" for importing my music. it queries the musicbrainz database and cleans up all of the tags, maintains a database of my entire library, and renames the files/embeds artwork/etc.

I hate linux, and yet all of my media infrastructure now runs on linux variants. go figure.

(i also just setup another raspberry pi to run all of the original Neo Geo games and a handful of classic arcade favorites in my slow progress Neo Geo "big red" cabinet restoration project.)

Thad,

Please (PLEASE!!) start a separate thread on this and give more info on what you did.  I am about to take a server out of service and I (as well as a few friends) all need to get set up with this. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

I bought a small cheap Acer mini laptop to hook up to my audio system as a dedicated music server for HD and other digital files. I keep the music on an external 2TB hard drive and use Foobar2000 to manage the music. Computer connected to Outlaw Audio 975 preamp via HDMI, then into my vintage McIntosh/Klipsch system. I really like it a lot. I used to use Itunes, but really could not stand the constant changes by CrApple with every update. Foobar is great for managing files, adding any artwork you want via tagging, converting between formats, etc. I keep everything as Flac files.

This is very much like my setup except i use headphones.......................could not agree more about ITunes. which hard drive do you use ??

Edited by joessportster

This is very much like my setup except i use headphones.......................could not agree more about ITunes. which hard drive do you use ??

I am using a Toshiba hard drive.  I back it up periodically to a second drive as well.  Have you had good luck with any particular hard drive type over another Joe?  And, by the way, I've really been using headphones a lot lately as well.  :)

I am using a Toshiba hard drive.  I back it up periodically to a second drive as well.  Have you had good luck with any particular hard drive type over another Joe?  And, by the way, I've really been using headphones a lot lately as well.  :)

I like the WD reds, they only run at 5400 but for music purposes they are great and have a really good reputation as a robust / reliable drive I have 3 or 4 backups all on reds

Joe, how did you handle the duplicates?

Unfortunately I did it manually the new flac file is about half the size with 13400+  files and no duplicates, 350 GB ish

check your PM's

How do you guys consume your music? By track, or by album? I have many albums by artists with redundant tracks - but if you remove the duplicates you have incomplete albums, no?

Thad, do you remember when Napster made the scene with peer to peer networks and people were sharing music all over the place without a care in the world. Well, that + albums converted, + purchased cds + Itunes + (you get the idea) = several copies of some songs/albums and at different qualities. I want a program that hunts down all duplicates and erases them. Highest priority for deletion given to the lowest quality files. Some of my old stuff actually has digital skips in it like anything sub 100 kbps can be brutal.