Phases of Life

eth2

As I get older, I think about the phases of my life. My childhood (and still best) friends and I were talking about this recently in terms of when we see one another most often. This discussion came at a recent funeral.

First it was when one of us got married. Everyone would come from wherever they moved to for the wedding.

Next, it was births. When one of us had a child, we would get together for the baptism, or just a party.

Then it was graduations of our children.

Shortly after, it was the children's weddings.

Then it was grandchildren. When one of us became grandparents, we would throw a party.

Next we would rally if someone was ill.

Now it seems that we most often are all together at funerals.

For those of you are still in the early phases, enjoy them. They don't necessarily get better as you age.

Sorry for being a downer. I think it is the Upstate winters and lack of sun.

• Like 5

Remember when you were really, really young and Christmas, Birthdays, etc. gave you a feeling like no other?  As you get older that incredible excitement becomes less and less until one day its almost gone and suddenly you get to re-live it with one of your youngsters.  It only took me 46 years, but I am grinning bigger than I have in a least 30 years. Blow off the BS and make every day count.

4C1A4B15-00FF-48E9-BAEB-CA4286563CF4.jpg

• Like 8

I loved getting gifts at Christmas when I was little.  As I grew older the excitement waned.  Lately it's back and I get more excited now than I can remember.  The difference now is that I'm excited about giving gifts, not getting them.  I could care less if I get anything or not.  If I need something throughout the year, I get it.  I'm really enjoying watching everyone else open their presents.

• Like 4

Don't be sorry, its not your fault gettin old sucks, its just part of the deal. I grinned my biggest as a kid, still grinng and laughin it up in the teens and 20s. Bout 30 real life came in, kids in middle school more money needed for everything. Then the 40s and realization youth may be behind me, not ever gonna run as fast as before. Then 50....OK...full realization of what those old people complaint about their lombago was all about. Also realization there is an end to the best part of your life, youth. In my mind I am still a big mid but my body its not. I been very active all my life, outwork two 20 year olds when I was 40 but it don't last forever,its not supposed to. Same here, see many good buds when one dies. So, as was said, live it up while ya can, but enjoy everyday family and friends long as you're here.

• Like 3

Great reading thread and every input/comment on this thread is exactly why i hang with you guys.

Im a member of three "Other" audio forums, and as most of you know, there is NO shortage of people with a stick up their azz.

That dog dont hunt here.

And not to stray from the OP, ill just agree with all of you, age may be slowly taken the body but dammed if it take my mind.

Party on :emotion-21::emotion-19:

• Like 1

Awesome pic max,  I make my wife and others mad because I wont tell them anything I want, I prefer to give gifts, A few Christmas ago my wife gave me what is perhaps my favorite gift of all time, It is a coffee mug with pictures of our boys on it as baby's I use it daily 

It use to make my wife so mad she would buy tools as a gift and I always ended up returning them, Took me forever to get her to understand not all tools are equal and what looks like a bargain typically ends up broken

I am like Carl, if I need it I go get it

• Like 3

Awesome pic max,  I make my wife and others mad because I wont tell them anything I want, I prefer to give gifts, A few Christmas ago my wife gave me what is perhaps my favorite gift of all time, It is a coffee mug with pictures of our boys on it as baby's I use it daily 

It use to make my wife so mad she would buy tools as a gift and I always ended up returning them, Took me forever to get her to understand not all tools are equal and what looks like a bargain typically ends up broken

I am like Carl, if I need it I go get it

Well speak of the devil, i just walked out and fetched the mail, im looking at my new stick drive! thanx Joe. i may buy more, i saw earl was buying so thats why i jumped on it. looks like im doing some listing tonight :emotion-21::emotion-46:   

• Like 1

so no external dac ?, Thats cool everything on that stick should play with no issues.....................I have some stuff that may not play well I just wanted to be sure of your situation incase you want something else

you have to let me know how you like the sheff. Drum tracks, on your speakers cranked up of course

• Like 1

so no external dac ?, Thats cool everything on that stick should play with no issues.....................I have some stuff that may not play well I just wanted to be sure of your situation incase you want something else

you have to let me know how you like the sheff. Drum tracks, on your speakers cranked up of course

Pc runs to the DAC, then to the Pre, then to the active, then to the amp(s)

When I was younger I apparently thought and lived like I would live forever. Burned both ends of the candle and wore out my back way too early. Trying to slow down and change some things so I can even make it to where some of you are. Hoping to make my goal to live well rather than hard and fast. I havent totally figured it out yet. Didn't think about it much until my oldest daughter went off to college. Lots of regrets.

• Like 1

Maybe we all need a dedication made to "everyone on the forum" and listen to the following version of "Forever Young" played by Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan in honor of the “next phase” in our respective lives.  

http://youtu.be/plhfJbR7Gxk

Now that I’m older, I have discovered :emotion-55: that:

1. I was fortunate to discover Klipsch in the 1970's and have been listening to quality ever since.  :emotion-29: 

2. I started out with nothing, and as I start to reduce my pack-weight in life so I can go out with nothing, I feel more freedom that I have ever known from when I was a slave to debt. 

3. Fairly soon, the government will want to send me a check each month for doing nothing, how cool is that?  :emotion-21: 

4. How long do I need to live once I start to collect that check from the government to reach 1,000 posts on the forum?  Once I’m retired, will I ever make enough friends where more than two or three actually ‘like’ my posts and do not take offence?

5. My usual dinner after a strenuous session hitting the weights in the gym of one X-large pizza with double pepperoni and triple cheese, 24 wings all coated with a generous portion of the atomic hot sauce, and six pitchers of the best draught beer on tap to top it off, has turned into 15 minutes on my “Total Gym” followed with small portions of prunes and all bran plus a teaspoon of Metamucil.  However, my memories of my youth cannot be taken away.  :P  

6. I finally got my head together and quit following the ‘white rabbit’ and now I feel my body falling apart and I can barely get out of bed in the morning without wrenching my back or pulling a nerve in my shoulder.

7. Funny, I don't remember being absent minded....

8. To feel that all is not lost, I remind myself that I’m following the “white blazes”!  While we like to think we are “blazing our own trail” in life, I remember that we are probably not following a path that has not been taken before.  :ohmy: 

9. It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.  I just wish I could have become wiser in a way that my body would quit falling apart.  

10. Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant. Damn, another day with a wet pant-leg.  :mad: 

11. I wish the buck stopped here; I sure could use a few.

12. Kids in the back seat cause accidents. 

13. Accidents in the back seat cause...kids.  Just last week another kid that I did not know about contacted me. JK…..  

14. It is still very cool when I wake up and realize that ALL parts are still in working order, then give a hearty "thank you," act just like I did a day before, then call out ‘honey, you are needed in the bedroom.’  :emotion-25: 

15. I remember my neighbors at 60 when they were old, wrinkled, burned out, tired, arthritic.....but when I look in the mirror, I know that is not me, well you get the point.  :cool: 

16. The Queen of England has been on the throne longer than I am old.  If my body would quit failing, I could live as long as the Queen has held the throne, maybe longer.

17. All posts are in; Life is now officially unfair and I have begun to ask myself;

'what are my chances that I would break my hip if I fell getting out of bed?'

'is it normal that I'm making more trips to the bathroom than I used to?'

'my sex drive is the same as it was 20 years ago, isn't it?

'I keep misplacing my keys, should I be worried?'

'what is the best way to control my weight, Dr Oz, anybody?'

'should I be concerned that I'm having problems concentrating?'

18. What was the topic of this thread again…...  :emotion-41: 

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1