Denon or Marantz

effxz

Look at the responses on your prior posts on receivers, you will get the 110 watts per channel in 8 ohms from either one of them. Both receivers are the 2nd to top of those lines for their ratings,the next is the x-4100 or the 7008, so either of them should suffice. If doing that and having had the RX-V573, look at the RX-A1040 series or a prior series in the RX-A1**0 series for comparison.  But I would still stay away from the Onkyo due to HDMI Issues, it looks as if they are still having the issues with them.

The Denon and Marantz are going to be very similar as they are owned by the same company and at this level for interior parts, there may not be much of a difference,although the Marantz gets weighed heavier with the better parts internally to a certain point,then they are almost identical internally when comparing models. I am not 100% sure on the models you are asking about,but they will have some similarities to them.It will come down to different chips and resistors for the most part.At least that's what Denon and Marantz told me on the phone.

• Like 1

D&M employees will tell you that each company has their own design team that work independently and are solely responsible for their end sound. Specifically, for example, some of the nicer Marantz stuff has additional processing for music clarity and excitement. They claim Denon is better for movies but never really say why, other than their flagship Denon receiver is built like a beast, rivaling a separates setup. For cheaper offerings I'm not sure it matters a whole heck of a lot, just get the one with the features you want and faceplate you like. For me, that's Marantz.

The older Denon 4311 is pretty strong even at 5 channel output of over 100 watts. Its likely the newer comparable Denon AVR's are as well as they boast a tad more two channel output. Comparing the lower-level Chinese built Marantz and Denon offerings are likely very, very similar on build and sound. On the other hand, the Japan built or upper models of Marantz and Denon AVRs are visibly different with the covers off and they should be or D&M would be ridiculed for building identical units with only cosmetic and feature changes. Whether they sound different is up to individual ears. 

http://www.hifiklubben.com/files/Test/Denon/DENAVR4311_hcc_201105.pdf

Comparing the lower-level Chinese built Marantz and Denon offerings are likely very, very similar on build and sound. On the other hand, the Japan built or upper models of Marantz and Denon AVRs are visibly different with the covers off and they should be or D&M would be ridiculed for building identical units with only cosmetic and feature changes. Whether they sound different is up to individual ears.

Pretty sure all the Marantz stuff is made in China now, including their flagship receiver SR7009 and AV7702 preamp.

Intersting you say that (about them being made in China)

I was looking into them and think that I found their upper end processor was made in Japan.  I was debating back/forth as to which one to get (I have to have XLR outputs) and once I saw that it became a no-brainer to me.  I'll spend the extra cash to get Japan.

• Like 1

Comparing the lower-level Chinese built Marantz and Denon offerings are likely very, very similar on build and sound. On the other hand, the Japan built or upper models of Marantz and Denon AVRs are visibly different with the covers off and they should be or D&M would be ridiculed for building identical units with only cosmetic and feature changes. Whether they sound different is up to individual ears.

Pretty sure all the Marantz stuff is made in China now, including their flagship receiver SR7009 and AV7702 preamp.

Thats sad. I think Marantz's new flagship Pre's are still made in Japan, at least I think last years were.  If McIntosh would get in the AVR market and keep the price a tad above the gauntlet of others flagship models,they might get a small bite of the market. These days though a $300 Receiver and $2000 speakers are the norm for the masses and they complain of not enough juice or an ugly sound when being worked hard.

Dang, you're right Metro. Thats a kick in the head

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

These days though a $300 Receiver and $2000 speakers are the norm for the masses and they complain of not enough juice or an ugly sound when being worked hard.

The problem is,and I'm speaking from personal experience, is that we go into these big box stores not being educated and wind up buying things from uneducated sales people. Up until a month ago, I did this and since I joined this forum have learned a lot. I definitely would have done things differently in my family room on the speakers I did purchase,and would have probably purchased an older model speaker as I did with my Reference line I have set up in my living room.Maybe would have done Heresy HT system.

• Like 1

Not trying to tell you what you should buy (I honestly think AVR choice is very individual) but I bought a used mid-priced Yamaha as a "stop gap" when I was trying to decide on a receiver to upgrade (well more update) my antique Denon AVR 5600 and I still own it. My next AVR may or not be a Yamaha, but it will CERTAINLY be taken into strong consideration. In other words, I am not trying to tell you NOT to buy the Denon, nor Marantz, but I suggest simply looking into a similarly priced Yamaha if you haven't done so before you decide.

Bryant

If McIntosh would get in the AVR market and keep the price a tad above the gauntlet of others flagship models,they might get a small bite of the market.

I agree with that as well. I am running vintage MC amps, would like to have a pre to go along.  But at those prices, I feel I wouldn't be getting as much out of it as I like.