Need direction for HT heavy WAF

rockhound

Wives come and go - Great HT rooms are for life. :o

Wow.....I've been incredibly blessed to be married to the most amazing woman for the past 18 years and have 4 incredible children together.  For us, divorce isn't an option....period.  ;)

Youthman...phone!

It's your wife's lawyer. :)

• Like 2

Wow.....I've been incredibly blessed to be married to the most amazing woman for the past 18 years and have 4 incredible children together.  For us, divorce isn't an option....period.  ;)

Does that mean she is more likely to poison your hot tottie and roll you up in a shower curtain?   :)

• Like 3

i agree that subs for the most part are a necessity for HT unless you have speakers that are true basshounds and you have the appropriate environment to make them shine.  I think that your room is too open for that scenario.  My house in NJ has cathedral ceilings similar to yours, i am familiar with the type of acoustics.  There are some in-wall sub solutions but if you are really trying not to penetrate walls, they may not work out so well for you.

Subs are usually a tradeoff and most of the time, i said earlier, its usually a trade off in performance and you and only you will know the right answer.

It's out of your price range and you want small, but a pair of Belle Klipsch's and a phanton center would look terrific in that room. I know you said that you don't want big floor standers due to WAF, but Belle's are the best looking speakers on the planet, and they sound equally good. You can use the tops of those speakers to put nick-nacks on.

You would still need sub, but there are some hidden subs Paradigm makes (5.5" × 18.375" × 14"). I really like the infinite baffle solution Carl brought up. 

klipsch_belle_1.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Does that mean she is more likely to poison your hot tottie and roll you up in a shower curtain? :)

I've never had a hot tottie and if my wife rolled me up in a shower curtain, she's too petite to lift me out of the tub.  :lol:

Mustang, that is the nicest photo I have ever seen of the Belle's. 

• Like 1

:o You are ALL on the wrong track.

Don't worry about the artificial constraints.

There are a bunch of speaker listings on Craigslist that are titled, "Divorce Sale" that suggest otherwise...

• Like 1

• Moderators
im just giving you a hard time tis the season to be merry and to give a little back

You sound like my wife now, she loves to give it right back to me, can't blame you it's only fair, I will say it's not just you, I tick off everyone eventually. :ph34r:  

Does that mean she is more likely to poison your hot tottie and roll you up in a shower curtain? :)

I've never had a hot tottie and if my wife rolled me up in a shower curtain, she's too petite to lift me out of the tub.  :lol:

I bet the pool boy would have no trouble at all.    :D

• Moderators
mustang guy, on 19 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:mustang guy, on 19 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:mustang guy, on 19 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:

Youthman, on 19 Dec 2014 - 3:49 PM, said:Youthman, on 19 Dec 2014 - 3:49 PM, said:Youthman, on 19 Dec 2014 - 3:49 PM, said:

eth2, on 19 Dec 2014 - 3:46 PM, said:eth2, on 19 Dec 2014 - 3:46 PM, said:eth2, on 19 Dec 2014 - 3:46 PM, said: Wives come and go - Great HT rooms are for life. :o

Does that mean she is more likely to poison your hot tottie and roll you up in a shower curtain?   :)

That's kind of scary, sounds like you have some experience with this. :o  :lol:

That is a great pic, are they yours ?

Edited by dtel

Yes, I agree, those are beautiful.

i agree that subs for the most part are a necessity for HT unless you have speakers that are true basshounds and you have the appropriate environment to make them shine.

They're necessary period if you want it to sound right. Even huge expensive towers that can reproduce full range music typically can't crank out LFE at the kind of volumes that are exciting.

Well the wife skipped out for a few hours so I moved my Chorus 2's into the living room , she wasn't happy but surprisingly didn't say much. Anyway I'll most likely keep the C2's in here most likely unless I can find some quartets.

Subs- The IB seems to be a popular choice to conserve floor space I just wonder how they would sound that high up on the front wall. the table tuba would also work great and I'm pretty sure I could I could get away with replacing the rear table behind our recliners with one of these. Worse case I could build the table tuba and if it didn't work out move it to my 2ch rig in my room.

Surrounds- Oh how I would love a floor standers as surrounds but that is not going to happen when recliners are reclined there would not be room to walk behind the recliners so I will need surrounds that I can put up out of the way. Need suggestions on what to get.

Center- I have read that most of the vocals from movies comes from the center channel. Is there anything that would match well with C2's, Quartets or KG's?

Thanks again for the opinions!

It's out of your price range and you want small, but a pair of Belle Klipsch's and a phanton center would look terrific in that room. I know you said that you don't want big floor standers due to WAF, but Belle's are the best looking speakers on the planet, and they sound equally good. You can use the tops of those speakers to put nick-nacks on.

You would still need sub, but there are some hidden subs Paradigm makes (5.5" × 18.375" × 14"). I really like the infinite baffle solution Carl brought up. 

klipsch_belle_1.jpg

Belles are to big but what a beautiful speaker. I like that paradigm kind of pricey tho, need to add that as an option

• Like 1

I just wonder how they would sound that high up on the front wall

Most people that hear mine say it sounds like the bass is coming from the mains.  It's all in calibration.

That would be the goal!! Wish someone around here had this setup so I could hear it.

That would be the goal!! Wish someone around here had this setup so I could hear it.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith like I did.  I had never heard one prior to building mine.  I talked Wakejunkie into building one and he loves it.  You can get opinions on how mine sounds from other forum members.

mxr dad

Mallette

Thaddeussmith.

Hugeroost

Los Lobos

JL Sargeant

All the above have heard mine and can give you impressions.  Hopefully I've spelled them all correctly.

Edited by CECAA850