Now that Reference Premiere is out of the bag, what happens to the biggest Reference II models?

Schwa

After perusing the new Reference Premiere speaker line, I noticed that there aren't any direct replacements for the largest speakers in the previous Reference II line. In other words, there's nothing analogous to the RF-7II, RC-64II, RB-81II, or RS-62II in the new Reference Premiere line.

So, what happens to these big speakers? Are they carried forward or dropped?

My personal guess is that the RF-7II and RC-64II will be carried forward since they're "special" Reference II speakers (they're made in Hope and have real wood veneers). However, if so, what will the appropriate matching surround speakers be? I hope that the RB-81II and RS-62II are also carried forward, but I don't see that happening.

RF-7 II, RB-81 II and RC-64 II will remain in the market.

I guess the RS-62II gets the axe then? Since there's no 6.5" surround speaker in the new Premiere line, I guess the RP-250S would be the recommended match? Edited by Schwa

They changed the horn and have made the premiere and new line.  They look good.

I get that, but the fact that they changed the horn on the Premier speakers makes me wonder whether they'll be as a good a match for the RF-7II/RC-64II as the RS-52II/RS-62II's were.

• Moderators
So, what happens to these big speakers? Are they carried forward or dropped?

Chad answered it here

Chad, I'm assuming the higher end speakers (RF-7ii, RB-81ii, RC-64ii) will get replaced at a later date?  Is that a correct assumption?

I don't have a definitive answer to this question... sorry. They live on for now!

"They live on for now" is a definitive statement in itself.  :P

I get that, but the fact that they changed the horn on the Premier speakers makes me wonder whether they'll be as a good a match for the RF-7II/RC-64II as the RS-52II/RS-62II's were.

Good thing you got 4 rs62ii already :) 

Good thing you got 4 rs62ii already :)

I don't care for myself; I'm just curious what someone would do if they were planning to put together a 5.1 or 7.1 system using the RF-7II and RC-64II as the front three. Maybe it's a moot point; in other words, maybe by the time the RS-62II is no longer available, the RF-7II and RC-64II will have been replaced.

Looks like Roy's mumps have infected Indiana.

Silicone rubber coating inside the horn isn't something that I'd thought that they'd feature. Seems to me that this isn't what Olson or Beranek recommend for horn material--if you catch my drift.  But it also is one way to avoid using low density open cell foam to fill the horn mouths to attenuate HOMs (constant directivity "frying eggs" sound) - à la Geddes.  Titanium seems to chatter above 10 kHz, so perhaps this eats some chatter.  Perhaps that's also how they can get away with moving that diffraction break point edge further from the horn throat.

Going to 90x90 is interesting - in that it puts more floor and ceiling bounce in the room.  I wonder what the rationale is on that?  Perhaps at the frequencies controlled by those horns (above ~1500 Hz?), floor and ceiling bounce aren't as pronounced as they are for the K-400 type Heritage horns, which go down to 400-800 Hz (depending on Heritage model).

:huh:

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

• Moderators
I don't care for myself; I'm just curious what someone would do if they were planning to put together a 5.1 or 7.1 system using the RF-7II and RC-64II as the front three. Maybe it's a moot point; in other words, maybe by the time the RS-62II is no longer available, the RF-7II and RC-64II will have been replaced.

That would be my thought.  If they phase one out, they will produce something that will be voice matched to it.  Good example....notice they didn't make an RS-62ii equivalent in the Premiere Series because they didn't make an RF-7ii equivalent in the Premiere Series.

I really wonder why they don't put a bigger mouth on those HF horns so that they can control their MF polars to a lower frequency,  and also enable crossing over at a lower frequency? 

The acoustic price of a slim loudspeaker is high indeed.  It would be nice to see EASE-type polar plots of those relative to the older series.

• Like 1

So are the premier speakers supposed to be higher quality than the rf7 II? I thought I saw that the price is a lot cheaper. I was recently thinking of picking up the rf 7 II line for my front 3. Now it's got me wondering what speaker is better? No matter what I get I do love the cherry wood! Thanks to my old pal youthman for stearing me that way years ago.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Their whole naming process seems all over the map.

Interesting that Klipsch had an older model RP (Reference Powered) as well. RP-3 and RP-5. Has no connection to the current RP (Reference Premiere)

I always liked how Some models told you what the speaker was

RF-82 (Reference Floorstanding with two 8" drivers).

The RP series does this as well, just in a different format. It will just take some time to get used to the new model numbers