Problem with my K'horns

eth2

I was told that they do not carry them any longer. Also, Bob ran out. Apparently, due to a lack of orders, the manufacturer stopped making them. I don't understand this because I think the K77-F is still in use. (K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver).

I was told that they do not carry them any longer. Also, Bob ran out. Apparently, due to a lack of orders, the manufacturer stopped making them. I don't understand this because I think the K77-F is still in use. (K-77-F 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver).

Based on the two quotes below, it seems that the K-77-F and the diaphragm may both be clones of the old EV K-77-M. 

I have read where replacements may have not been as good as the old EV diaphragms, but if you don't have original EV to begin with, I'm not sure why a replacement diaphragm from a reputable re-seller / re-builder would not suffice.

Did I read recently in one of the long threads on Klipsch where some of the old parts were handled by Simply Speaker?

The K-77F is a clone of the K-77M that Klipsch has made in the Philippines.

Bob Crites

I have only had one of the K-77F tweeters to rebuild so far. It tests about the same as a K-77M and seems to be built almost identically. The cloned diaphragm that comes with it seems to me to be back to an early style of the EV diaphragms before the improved copper-beryllium leads that the later EV diaphragms have.

Bob Crites

Edited by Fjd

The $20 part from Simply Speaker is a POS.

What about the diaphragm with the assembly at the link below? Any suggestions for eth2 of what will work and not be POS or is he up-a-creek with this tweeter?  

Bob said he was able to get the part from the original manufacturer but those parts are now gone, and no longer available. Therefore, the quote from him reproduced above is not relevant today.

The quote was for historical information that the K-77-F and diaphragm was not an original EV tweeter and EV diaphragm anyway and was a tweeter made for Klipsch from a different source.  Many of the complaints I have read over the years were that the aftermarket diaphragms did not sound the same and could not take the power that the factory EV diaphragm could take.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/70446-what-is-a-k-77-f/

Fjd's point, I think, is that Klipsch did a bulk sale of parts to Simply Speaker.

Don't know if that is true, or not; but, a call to them wouldn't hurt...

Correct.  I don't know if there is any truth to it either as I searched the forum more last night for the reference and could not find where I had read it.

I agree too that a call wouldn't hurt since the link to the assembly unit has text that could be interpreted as a factory part; however, I am aware that many times text can be misleading.

On a side note, in my searches I did find this fairly detailed 'how-to-replace' video. 

• Like 1

"What about the diaphragm with the assembly at the link below? Any suggestions for eth2 of what will work and not be POS or is he up-a-creek with this tweeter?  "

That may be the best part currently available, it's much better than their $20 part. It's not as good as the genuine EV parts from years ago though.

If you are going to put Eliptrac 400s and ES crossovers in, consider the JBL 2404H tweeter.  Best mod I ever made to my Khorns.  

I would have to modify the motherboard and that scares me

Grill frames are available from Fastlane.  Your Khorns will look stock.  

Earl,

Just take the whole plunge at once. Build a new motorboard(or have one built) that uses the eliptrac mid horn you have and the new eliptrac HF. Upgrade the crossover later if you want. Remember the KHorn bass bin needs to cross at 400Hz so that ES500 you mentioned earlier will not be optimal.

It looks like Dave may have taken down a lot of the pictures and measurements that he used to have on his old site; however, the link below shows how his motor board / grill frame would replace the Khorn motor board / grill frame where the Khorn would still have the "stock look" and the primary difference being the tweeter is set to the side rather than top of the mid-horn. 

Although the only pictures I could find show the "Fastrac K" with the motor board / grill frame, he lists in the text that a motor board / grill frame can be made for the Eliptrac. 

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/klipsch-use-my-original-driver-suggestions.html

fastlane audio 20ef435607638d151c5f67ccd02e677e.pngfastlane audio c1571a23d444539cc920c0ae18cda1df.png

Here are a few pictures of the Khorn motor board / grill frame with the Eliptrac mounted from page 3 of the link below.  I believe that Dave makes a separate motor board would be made for the specific tweeter used.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/122814-round-tractrix/page-3

Dave eliptrac 1.jpg

Dave eliptrac 2.jpg

Dave eliptrac 3.jpg

In addition, here is a thread where Dave built a complete set of top sections for a pair of Khorn bass bins he obtained.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/120758-khorn-project/

Dave Khorn 2.jpg

Dave khorn 1.jpg

If you are going to put Eliptrac 400s and ES crossovers in, consider the JBL 2404H tweeter.  Best mod I ever made to my Khorns.  

Earl,

Just take the whole plunge at once. Build a new motorboard(or have one built) that uses the eliptrac mid horn you have and the new eliptrac HF. Upgrade the crossover later if you want. Remember the KHorn bass bin needs to cross at 400Hz so that ES500 you mentioned earlier will not be optimal.

post-36163-0-76020000-1420916297_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

It looks like Dave may have taken down a lot of the pictures and measurements that he used to have on his old site; however, the link below shows how his motor board / grill frame would replace the Khorn motor board / grill frame where the Khorn would still have the "stock look" and the primary difference being the tweeter is set to the side rather than top of the mid-horn. 

Although the only pictures I could find show the "Fastrac K" with the motor board / grill frame, he lists in the text that a motor board / grill frame can be made for the Eliptrac. 

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/klipsch-use-my-original-driver-suggestions.html

fastlane audio 20ef435607638d151c5f67ccd02e677e.pngfastlane audio c1571a23d444539cc920c0ae18cda1df.png

Here are a few pictures of the Khorn motor board / grill frame with the Eliptrac mounted from page 3 of the link below.  I believe that Dave makes a separate motor board would be made for the specific tweeter used.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/122814-round-tractrix/page-3

Dave eliptrac 1.jpg

Dave eliptrac 2.jpg

Dave eliptrac 3.jpg

In addition, here is a thread where Dave built a complete set of top sections for a pair of Khorn bass bins he obtained.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/120758-khorn-project/

Dave Khorn 2.jpg

Dave khorn 1.jpg

Earl,

When the Squawker & Tweeter are horizontaly arranged, like on the above motorboard, should the Tweeters be on the inside or outside?