Hey IbizaFlame re: trumpet avatar

wvu80

I can assure you both it is the first.

The full photo is actually me with both horns, along the front-soundstage of my first RF setup (my own personal system).  The brass horn is a King that I got when I was 7 years old, and has been with me through hell a few trips through.  That horn is affectionately known as "Lindsey."  After I dropped out of school, I still managed to slink back into the high school to play in band.  I got the Selmer-Bach (the silver horn) when I was 15 (that one I named "Kimmie").

Up until 2 years ago, I would allow a certain student in the local public school system to use "Lindsey" for their year if they couldn't afford a horn of their own.  I had my own application and screening process that I was extremely strict on.  That stopped due to one bad apple that caused some pretty nasty warping of the bell (which I since fixed).  The silver horn has never been used by anyone other than myself though, and is used almost exclusively as a performing symphonic horn (i.e. marching? forget it. Symphony?  TOTALLY!)

Horns of all variety hold a special place in my heart.

DSC00002.JPG

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 5

p until 2 years ago, I would allow a certain student in the local public school system to use "Lindsey" for their year if they couldn't afford a horn of their own.  I had my own application and screening process that I was extremely strict on.  That stopped due to one bad apple that caused some pretty nasty warping of the bell (which I since fixed).  The silver horn has never been used by anyone other than myself though, and is used almost exclusively as a performing symphonic horn (i.e. marching? forget it. Symphony?  TOTALLY!)   Horns of all variety hold a special place in my heart.
Crap, i was about to ask if i could borrow it.  Actually, that’s really cool of you to do that loaner service thing--i’ll bet that helps some families out more than you realize.  If you ever become a bull fighter, you can play your own entrance music (honestly, isn’t that why you took it up in the first place?) 

Haha, I'd be such a show off I'd play it standing on the bull too! :P

Seriously though, my draw to the trumpet...well I suppose some of it was heredity - my dad was a trumpeter - though I can effectively play circles around him now.  But I remember being starry-eyed struck at listening to old jazz records, like...Maynard Ferguson's "MacArthur Park", and Miles Davis' "******* Brew" - then there was my mom constantly listening to Herb Alpert albums too.  I recognized pretty fast the diversity of horns in various genres, but despite that...jazz was just so damn cool to me...like, that's what cool people did.  It wasn't a punk rock garage band, it was playing the bass sitting on top of a stage monitor going crazy full-on Lonnie Brooks, or wailing like Stan Getz...man!  I still get pumped just talking about it.

ETA: *I love the censorship guys! lol*

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2

I almost said "Female Dog's Brew" but I thought to myself how weird that'd sound.

As for the loaner horn thing, yeah...it was great to do.  I had a couple of students who were absolutely floored by that.  I have toyed with the idea of purchasing a tertiary Yamaha exclusively for that purpose, but the right deal hasn't shown itself to me yet, and as much as I'm in the hole to the gubment for school...I probably should put that idea on the back burner.  It's a real shame that one student had to ruin it for others, but such is life...and someday I hope to bring the idea back (I'm just crossing my fingers that music stays in school long enough for me to do that.)

• Moderators

Congratulations on the skill, from the way you explain it, it is also where you got your love of listening and appreciating music.  

I have to say, from reading your post in many different places, you do not act like the average 25 yo, (in a good way).

Heh, don't get me wrong, the those trumpets are not my only card to play with instruments...they just happen to be the ones that I know the most about, and can confidently say "yeah, I'm at least 'good'."  There's a couple of guitars with my name on them too that aren't seen here.  Somewhere in this world is a Cello that was once mine, as well as a trombone.  A few pianos I've done crazy things with...couple drum sets I've kept up with people with....you know...small stuff.

It's a lifestyle, but also an addiction.  When I go to sleep, there's music...when I wake up, I wake up to music.  I drive to work - music.  At work - music.  At home - music.  Everywhere.  I can't imagine a life really without it.

I get the age thing too.  You aren't the first to comment on that.  It used to be one of those things I've feel really cheeky about, but anymore it's more of an honor-thing than anything.  I think the only thing about me that's actually my age is just the fact of dates.  Everything else appears to be off in some other direction. lol :)

But back on the topic of music for a moment, that's why I absolutely love this place - and why I love Klipsch.  Here we have a forum of musicians, aficionados, and audiophiles getting together to shoot the breeze and help one another.  I can't believe I didn't find you all sooner. :) 

• Like 1

Heh, don't get me wrong, the those trumpets are not my only card to play with instruments...they just happen to be the ones that I know the most about, and can confidently say "yeah, I'm at least 'good'."  There's a couple of guitars with my name on them too that aren't seen here.  Somewhere in this world is a Cello that was once mine, as well as a trombone.  A few pianos I've done crazy things with...couple drum sets I've kept up with people with....you know...small stuff.

It's a lifestyle, but also an addiction.  When I go to sleep, there's music...when I wake up, I wake up to music.  I drive to work - music.  At work - music.  At home - music.  Everywhere.  I can't imagine a life really without it.

I get the age thing too.  You aren't the first to comment on that.  It used to be one of those things I've feel really cheeky about, but anymore it's more of an honor-thing than anything.  I think the only thing about me that's actually my age is just the fact of dates.  Everything else appears to be off in some other direction. lol :)

But back on the topic of music for a moment, that's why I absolutely love this place - and why I love Klipsch.  Here we have a forum of musicians, aficionados, and audiophiles getting together to shoot the breeze and help one another.  I can't believe I didn't find you all sooner. :)

Guitars … my favorite.  I have nine of them in the room with me now.  Was going to post a photo of a bunch of them; but, don’t seem to have any on the computer and am too lazy to go take one.  So, i’ll post this one of the band YES plus some other guy. Click to enlarge, the forum seems to be reducing the size of the photo for some reason.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Nice picture, Steve.

About marching bands... My younger son played trumpet in our local youth symphony, so he knew a lot of classical repertoire. One of the colleges he visited before choosing a school almost begged him to come, because most of the kids doing auditions only knew marching band music.

Bruce

• Like 2

Nice picture, Steve.

About marching bands... My younger son played trumpet in our local youth symphony, so he knew a lot of classical repertoire. One of the colleges he visited before choosing a school almost begged him to come, because most of the kids doing auditions only knew marching band music.

Bruce

The school I attend has a gnarly music therapy program, but a next to non-existent active band.  I haven't figured out yet if that's due to the lack of a formal music room, or a lack of student turnout.  Either way is sad, I'd be pumped to get involved in some band performances away from home, but the demand just isn't there at Maryville.

Either way is sad, I'd be pumped to get involved in some band performances away from home, but the demand just isn't there at Maryville.
My son went from home school to Valparaiso U. in northern Indiana. Their orchestra did a tour in Europe while he was with them. They were supposed to go to China his freshman year but it was the year with all the bird flu panic.

Music IS therapy, whether playing or listening.

Bruce