Youthman Bought a Few Toys

Youthman

• Moderators
But what I can see happening is you ending up winning with a 46" flatscreen in there or something like that.....for free basically after you sell the big kahuna.....

Funny you mention that....I asked her if she wanted to sell it and get a smaller say 60" LCD TV and she really isn't interested in a TV at all.  I'm doing good for her to let me have the RF-7ii in the living room.  I'm ok with not having a TV cause frankly, I'll never use it.  If I want to watch something, it will be in the HT with the leather reclining chairs, bigger screen and full surround with dual subs.  Think it's a good chance that I will sell it. 

• Like 1

I think we're making too big a deal out of this, his find wasn't that great. The "free" TV he got may have been $4,500 when new, but it's only worth half that, now.

I'm not saying this is a deal of a lifetime...but think about what you just said.  Half of $4500 is $2250.  So are you saying if I handed you $2250 in cash, that wouldn't be a big deal?  ;)  No matter how you slice it, the way I look at it....FREE is still FREE.  A Free TV that is broken is a burden.  This TV actually has a great picture, is in perfect working and cosmetic condition and has 6 pair of 3D glasses.  Unless I'm missing something here, if I keep it, it's money I would not have had to spend.  If I sell it, regardless of what it's worth, it's still FREE money.  :D

Not even half of half. Not many people will pay over 500 for a 4 Yyear old DLP. I paid 5k for a Mits 52628 DLP back in 05. Anytime you buy a TV you will take a big hit on it, same for new speakers.

With that said, I agree with Charles that like any 4 year old electronic, it is not worth anywhere near the original $4500.  From what I can see online, the TV is worth more like $1000 - $1500. 

Wow that's just awesome Youth! How's the PQ of the dlp? Hopefully the wify will let you keep it!

The PQ seems great.  Very sharp image on bluray.  As with most DLP, when you are off axis, the picture is slightly darker than looking straight on.  The TV is actually up a little too high as currently, my eyes are at the very bottom of the TV when sitting on the couch.  Other than that, it looks great.

NO WAY she let's you keep it there. You heard it here first!! :lol:

This morning, the wife had gotten home from her half marathon before I got home from church.  She sends me a text...."TV is way big."  :lol::P  My three girls are working on mom hard to convince her that we need to keep it....doesn't seem like it's working.  As most of you know, we haven't had a TV in the living room since we moved here 7 years ago.  We don't watch cable and very little actual "TV Content".  The kids watch a lot of Netflix on the iPad and in my daughter's bedroom on her 48" LED TV. My son has a 32" LCD TV in his bedroom for bluray and PS4 gaming.  As I sit in my home office typing, my middle daughter is watching Netflix on the 82" TV and to be honest, It's very different having "noise" coming from the living room while I work or surf the forums.  It's not bad....just different.  But I think you are right Billy, I have a feeling it won't stay long.  I'm totally ok either way.  If it stays...cool.  I'll just need to get a shorter entertainment center and buy a bluray player for the living room and hook up audio to the HK AVR 3490 via Digital Coax since it's only a stereo receiver.  As a side not....it's just not the same watching a movie with generic TV speakers when you are used to hearing a movie through La Scala Trio.  :D

but, but honey, I've already changed my signature....... :P

I haven't told her that yet.  It's worth a shot.  LOL

Free is free my fellow forum members. A gain in my book whether he keeps it, flips it for $2250.00, $1000.00, $500.00, or even $100.00. Bill

Yes, that was my thought too Bill.  Still unsure if we will keep it or sell it.  Guess time will tell.  Like you said, to me, either way was a win.  Simply a no-brainer to rent a $20 Uhaul.  If I do sell it, I think the draw would be the mere size and the fact that although it's not cutting edge 4k, it's not ancient of days either (1080p, HDMI, 3D and 82").  Add to the fact that it is in perfect working condition, excellent cosmetic condition, and comes with 6 pair of 3D glasses.  For someone that does not have to have the latest / greatest or a projection screen.....having a very affordable 82" TV is probably very attractive.

Tell your wife that it is bad for your kids to be watching tv on an iPad, and you got the tv so their eyes won't suffer. :)

• Moderators
Tell your wife that it is bad for your kids to be watching tv on an iPad, and you got the tv so their eyes won't suffer. :)

I can't stop laughing after reading that.  :lol:   We do come up with some pretty crazy things to justify to our wife why we "need" an upgrade for this or that don't we?  :D

On another note, I just got REALLY excited.  I was in the HT and I had a thought....I know the batteries in the Monster HTUPS 3700 are bad....maybe the Onkyo TX-NR8008 wasn't getting enough juice to make it work properly.  I plug it directly into the wall and BAM!  It turns on, volume knob is working!  IT"S FIXED!!!  I even was able to do a Factory Reset.  Sadly....that excitement was short lived.  I hit the menu button and it goes to the menu setting and then back to the normal display.  I hit the volume knob on the remote and it quickly flickers between the volume display and the regular display.  Then it totally locks up.  No buttons will respond.  :(   I'm going to call Onkyo tomorrow to see if there is somewhere local I can have it looked at.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Google to the rescue....

Jersey Jim Towers Tv
17722 Us Hwy 19 North
Clearwater, FL 33764
727 536-2232 (Tel)
Distance: 39.7 miles

I took my friend's Integra there when his has issues.  I'll probably make the drive tomorrow and have them give me an estimate on repairs.  If it's $200 - $300, I think it's worth fixing.  Guess it depends on what is wrong with it.

• Like 1

But what I can see happening is you ending up winning with a 46" flatscreen in there or something like that.....for free basically after you sell the big kahuna.....

Funny you mention that....I asked her if she wanted to sell it and get a smaller say 60" LCD TV and she really isn't interested in a TV at all.  I'm doing good for her to let me have the RF-7ii in the living room.  I'm ok with not having a TV cause frankly, I'll never use it.  If I want to watch something, it will be in the HT with the leather reclining chairs, bigger screen and full surround with dual subs.  Think it's a good chance that I will sell it. 

My wife still wonders why I can't enjoy a movie in the family room, and will sometimes go and watch it right afterwards in the HT. I told her the sound is so much different that it is like watching a different movie... Not to mention going from 47" FP to 180" projection! :)

• Moderators

That's what I was thinking Steven. I called Jersey Jims today. 4 of my 7 channels on the Sherbourn are not working so I'm going to have them look at it too. I need to open the Monster to see how many batteries it has. Seems like great timing on the TV and a blessing considering I also have more expenses for the theater remodel once Shaun is able to begin working on it again.

• Moderators
No luck with the serial #s?

Thanks for asking.  I originally checked the 8008 and it said that I did not need to send it in.  After you asked about it, I just went back to the site and did it again and realized that if you do not check any of the symptoms, it will not give you the option to send it in.  This time, I checked "Loss of sound experienced on all channels".  This describes what happens when it locks up and will not do anything.  Problem is it is intermittent.  Looks like Onkyo is shipping me the original packaging with return shipping label.  If they receive it and determine that it is not covered, I'm assuming they will contact me prior to sending it back and give me the option to pay them to repair it?  Not sure how that works.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I would love to have this unit fully functioning.  I think it would be an awesome unit to power my HT.

What you gonna do with the RF52's and RC52?

Charles, I sent you a PM

• Like 1

No luck with the serial #s?

Thanks for asking.  I originally checked the 8008 and it said that I did not need to send it in.  After you asked about it, I just went back to the site and did it again and realized that if you do not check any of the symptoms, it will not give you the option to send it in.  This time, I checked "Loss of sound experienced on all channels".  This describes what happens when it locks up and will not do anything.  Problem is it is intermittent.  Looks like Onkyo is shipping me the original packaging with return shipping label.  If they receive it and determine that it is not covered, I'm assuming they will contact me prior to sending it back and give me the option to pay them to repair it?  Not sure how that works.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I would love to have this unit fully functioning.  I think it would be an awesome unit to power my HT.

What you gonna do with the RF52's and RC52?

Charles, I sent you a PM

That's good news! I'm guessing there will not be any charge.

I thought i had a bad HDMI circuit once but it turned out to be a defective Directv box. They sent me a box, label, styrofoam and even a roll of clear packaging tape. I told them after to cancel the RA. They said to keep everything and the RA was good thru 2018

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok....since the Sherbourn is down 4 channels and I need to get it to a repair center, my plan is to unhook the Sherbourn and HK AVR3600 and connect the Onkyo TX-NR1008.  It will allow me to see how well it powers the La Scala Trio plus (4) RS-62ii.  I'm anxious to hear how it sounds for movies and to see how well Audyssey works since this will be my first experience using Audyssey. 

It will take some time to unhook / rehook up everything but will keep you posted.  Will probably start a new thread to share my thoughts on how it compares to the HK AVR3600 once I get it setup. 

• Like 1

Ok....since the Sherbourn is down 4 channels and I need to get it to a repair center, my plan is to unhook the Sherbourn and HK AVR3600 and connect the Onkyo TX-NR1008.  It will allow me to see how well it powers the La Scala Trio plus (4) RS-62ii.  I'm anxious to hear how it sounds for movies and to see how well Audyssey works since this will be my first experience using Audyssey. 

It will take some time to unhook / rehook up everything but will keep you posted.  Will probably start a new thread to share my thoughts on how it compares to the HK AVR3600 once I get it setup. 

I think you will not need external amps... Let us know what you think of just the AVR with the setup.

• Moderators

Since I've never used the internal amps in the HK AVR3600, my plan is to disconnect the Sherbourn and see how the HK does with the 7.2 setup.  Then I will swap the HK for the Onkyo TX-NR808 to see how that compares.  If it sounds better, the TX-NR5008 should sound even better once it has been repaired.