Youthman Bought a Few Toys

Youthman

How does he find these deals?

I think we're making too big a deal out of this, his find wasn't that great. 

The "free" TV he got may have been $4,500 when new, but it's only worth half that, now.

Not even half of half. Not many people will pay over 500 for a 4 Yyear old DLP.    I paid 5k for a Mits 52628 DLP back in 05.  Anytime you buy a TV you will take a big hit on it, same for new speakers.

Them RF52's would be a good setup for my 2nd second tv.

• Like 1

2 acm-1 mics, and an acm1hb mic

try google to see if they are compatible with the units.

as per google, only the multi eq mics are different, the others that don't have multi eq can be mixed.

The mic she found today was the ACM1H.

I just checked the model # on my included mic. It's the same ACM1H that she found. Your 5008 is the AVR version of my pre/pro which is also the Audyssey XT32......with that being said, I would think they'd both use the same mic.

The "free" TV he got may have been $4,500 when new, but it's only worth half that, now.

Not even half of half. Not many people will pay over 500 for a 4 Yyear old DLP.

Free is free my fellow forum members.  

A gain in my book whether he keeps it, flips it for $2250.00, $1000.00, $500.00, or even $100.00. 

Bill

• Like 3

• Moderators
I think we're making too big a deal out of this, his find wasn't that great. The "free" TV he got may have been $4,500 when new, but it's only worth half that, now.

I'm not saying this is a deal of a lifetime...but think about what you just said.  Half of $4500 is $2250.  So are you saying if I handed you $2250 in cash, that wouldn't be a big deal?  ;)  No matter how you slice it, the way I look at it....FREE is still FREE.  A Free TV that is broken is a burden.  This TV actually has a great picture, is in perfect working and cosmetic condition and has 6 pair of 3D glasses.  Unless I'm missing something here, if I keep it, it's money I would not have had to spend.  If I sell it, regardless of what it's worth, it's still FREE money.  :D

Not even half of half. Not many people will pay over 500 for a 4 Yyear old DLP. I paid 5k for a Mits 52628 DLP back in 05. Anytime you buy a TV you will take a big hit on it, same for new speakers.

With that said, I agree with Charles that like any 4 year old electronic, it is not worth anywhere near the original $4500.  From what I can see online, the TV is worth more like $1000 - $1500. 

Wow that's just awesome Youth! How's the PQ of the dlp? Hopefully the wify will let you keep it!

The PQ seems great.  Very sharp image on bluray.  As with most DLP, when you are off axis, the picture is slightly darker than looking straight on.  The TV is actually up a little too high as currently, my eyes are at the very bottom of the TV when sitting on the couch.  Other than that, it looks great.

NO WAY she let's you keep it there. You heard it here first!! :lol:

This morning, the wife had gotten home from her half marathon before I got home from church.  She sends me a text...."TV is way big."  :lol::P  My three girls are working on mom hard to convince her that we need to keep it....doesn't seem like it's working.  As most of you know, we haven't had a TV in the living room since we moved here 7 years ago.  We don't watch cable and very little actual "TV Content".  The kids watch a lot of Netflix on the iPad and in my daughter's bedroom on her 48" LED TV. My son has a 32" LCD TV in his bedroom for bluray and PS4 gaming.  As I sit in my home office typing, my middle daughter is watching Netflix on the 82" TV and to be honest, It's very different having "noise" coming from the living room while I work or surf the forums.  It's not bad....just different.  But I think you are right Billy, I have a feeling it won't stay long.  I'm totally ok either way.  If it stays...cool.  I'll just need to get a shorter entertainment center and buy a bluray player for the living room and hook up audio to the HK AVR 3490 via Digital Coax since it's only a stereo receiver.  As a side not....it's just not the same watching a movie with generic TV speakers when you are used to hearing a movie through La Scala Trio.  :D

but, but honey, I've already changed my signature....... :P

I haven't told her that yet.  It's worth a shot.  LOL

Free is free my fellow forum members. A gain in my book whether he keeps it, flips it for $2250.00, $1000.00, $500.00, or even $100.00. Bill

Yes, that was my thought too Bill.  Still unsure if we will keep it or sell it.  Guess time will tell.  Like you said, to me, either way was a win.  Simply a no-brainer to rent a $20 Uhaul.  If I do sell it, I think the draw would be the mere size and the fact that although it's not cutting edge 4k, it's not ancient of days either (1080p, HDMI, 3D and 82").  Add to the fact that it is in perfect working condition, excellent cosmetic condition, and comes with 6 pair of 3D glasses.  For someone that does not have to have the latest / greatest or a projection screen.....having a very affordable 82" TV is probably very attractive.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Lol...my salary from the church and my wife's teachers salary pays our bills. My business that I started 11 years ago in custom Website Design is is doing well and is what we used to get out of debt. I use that income to pay for my audio & photography hobby, vacations, church summer camp for our 4 children, paying off the house early etc.

How does he find these deals?

I think we're making too big a deal out of this, his find wasn't that great. 

I think I should have used the little "rolling eyes" emoticon, as my usually delightful dry sense of humor did not quite come across as I intended.  :rolleyes:

Getting ANYTHING of quality for free, and worth even $500 is a pretty good deal.  Youthman's knack for being the right guy at the right time to find an audio deal strikes again!  B)

+++

This morning, the wife had gotten home from her half marathon before I got home from church.  She sends me a text...."TV is way big."  :lol::P 

No sense sending your free TV to me...I can picture my wife saying exactly the same thing.  And in a text no less, as she is really saying "I really don't want to discuss this with you..." :rolleyes:

My three girls are working on mom hard to convince her that we need to keep it....doesn't seem like it's working.

You may be out of luck here as well.  Daughters begging and using pouty lips doesn't work nearly as well on Mom as it does on Dad.  :lol:

Edited by wvu80

You may get 1k for it as it is sure better than any LED set ,as for me it is.  I do not like LED with it's banding and flash lighting.  I really liked my Mits 52628 i bought in 05 and sold it for $300 in late 09 to buy a Kuro. I need to figure out what i plan to do for a sound system for my living room tv.  Maybe spend around $600 for a soundbar or buy some used speakers and a AVR and go that route.

Not even half of half. Not many people will pay over 500 for a 4 Yyear old DLP.

Free is free my fellow forum members.  

A gain in my book whether he keeps it, flips it for $2250.00, $1000.00, $500.00, or even $100.00. 

Bill

True. Just saying most DLP's don't sell for much used these days.  He may could get 1k for it since it is a 82" and in great shape.