EL84 vs. EL34 (vs. 6L6) Stereo Tube Amp

TJIann

So, I'm starting to look around at stereo tube power amps in the $1.5K or less range (see previous post).  This would drive my Cornwall II (or alternatively my Heresy Is).  Anyway, I've been talking with Justin at AmpsandSound and have been considering his Stereo 15.  My only reservation is the EL84 tubes.  Here's why.  I have owned many guitar tube amps in the last few years.  I've never cared for any of them where the power tubes were EL84s.  The ones I love usually have EL34 power tubes, or 6L6s.  That said, it may very well be a different ball game with stereo amps, I just don't know as I have never owned one.  Is it just primarily a power difference, or is the tone/sound that much different for music through EL84s vs. say EL34s?  I do know that I want at least 15 watts output, maybe as much as 30 or so.  I'm sure I'm opening up a can of worms to discuss tube brands, matching, etc.  But what the heck.  Just looking for your all's take.  Thanks. 

Tim

Edited by TJIann

When it comes to sound quality, the tube type is one of the least important contributors to the final sound. In order of importance, I would rate it like this:

1. Circuit topology - that means such things as class of operation, push pull versus single ended, balanced versus unbalanced phase splitters, feedback and so on. This is where the magic happens.

2. Output transformers - quality here makes a very big difference in smoothness and extended response.

3. Tubes - from input to output, these are a bit like spices in a soup. They can flavor the sound in subtle ways, but nothing like the magnitude of change in #1

4. Power Supply - this is really covered in #1, but it's fair to mention it separately too

5. Caps and other parts. Less spice than #3, but still detectable.

Amp designers put their BS&T into #1 and #2. Often the rest is a crap shoot.

Makes sense on the tubes now that I think about the very different situations. For guitar amps its typically about varying levels of

tube saturation to get that perfect overdriven tone. For stereo its about clean headspace....avoiding distortion. Hence, tube type should not matter too much.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. Here's some of my thoughts about el84s versus EL 34's. I don't like el34s. I do like 6ca7 which mimics as 6l6 in sonic signature. El84s represent a fantastic tube for Hifi use. Moderate power, quite, can take a beating, lasts a long time and able to be sourced as NOS without a mortgage. My Stereo 15 was built with close colab station from Shannon parks. It's largely a st35 with major enhancements made by me. These include a huge, low dcr power supply with large choke filtering. The amp is cathode biased which is a older approach to regulation and thusly a more classic tube sound. My twist is crazy large power supply and filtering providing for quite operation. The iron used is wound by transcendar on spec for me. It's under rated and performs well enough that the circuit is the limiting factor. I liken the sound to a 6l6 with bass.

For those thinking about Amps and needing to be cost contious, triode electronics stereo 35 or better yet stereo 70 are well though solid performing kits. I don't do stereo el34 amp because I think so highly of the stereo 70 kit offered. It's fantastic and will provide 35watts if hard to beat sound. In my mind it's the best el34 based stereo amp. Now in mono blocks there are some other choices ;-).

When it comes to sound quality, the tube type is one of the least important contributors to the final sound. In order of importance, I would rate it like this:

1. Circuit topology - that means such things as class of operation, push pull versus single ended, balanced versus unbalanced phase splitters, feedback and so on. This is where the magic happens.

2. Output transformers - quality here makes a very big difference in smoothness and extended response.

3. Tubes - from input to output, these are a bit like spices in a soup. They can flavor the sound in subtle ways, but nothing like the magnitude of change in #1

4. Power Supply - this is really covered in #1, but it's fair to mention it separately too

I do not know what the word is you intended to use, but as for your item #1 that is NOT the definition of circuit topology.

This statement is not only not true but inane:

"When it comes to sound quality, the tube type is one of the least important contributors to the final sound."

(I am assuming we are talking output devices here)

Edited by analogman

If the amps are built to equal standards my preference is the EL84 over the EL34.

Of all the EL34 amps that I've owned or listened to (for a reasonable length of time to develop an opinion about) that I would be very happy to live with long term is the Marantz 8B.

miketn

I have what I have heard is the "poor mans 8b" a pilot sa260 , it has stomped every combo I have tried, around 25 well regarded amps including a pair of Atsah monoblocks. The balance is so nice and bass has a lot of clean fast slam...

I do not know what the word is you intended to use, but as for your item #1 that is NOT the definition of circuit topology.

This statement is not only not true but inane:

"When it comes to sound quality, the tube type is one of the least important contributors to the final sound."

(I am assuming we are talking output devices here)

I may as well throw my $.02 in here and say that I don't like the EL84 at all (but have used its analogue, the 6GK6, when pressed by someone). 

Regarding Mark's points:

1) Let's ignore the definition of "topology."  I completely agree with the assertions here!

2) No question about this.

3) Completely agree once again.  I can vary operating parameters and make many tubes sound almost identical (I say almost because, with auditory memory being so short, it's impossible to be exact).

4) Definitely a factor although in single ended amps, which vary so little in their DC current draw, a huge p/s is unnecessary and creates unwarranted expense.  If the ripple is .003%, dropping it to .002% is a waste of time and money (with all due respect to Justin).

5) The least important factor to me.  I have never been convinced that a $50 coupling cap sounds any different from my standard CDE DME series caps for $1.  Same for "designer" resistors.  The 15 cent metal films which I use are as good as anything else.

That's my take, fwiw! :D

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

Some of the more easily found vintage 6BQ5 amps out there can be sublime as well as reasonably priced

AMAZINGLY good fidelity as well as excellent bass

Reliable and easy to work on/restore/tweek (if tweeking's you bag)

Stromberg-Carlson's ASR-333 and the PHONO stage equipped version, the ASR-433 come to mind as two extremely nice standouts in the 6BQ5 catagory

And these are just integrateds with tone controls (oh no!)

Make the hair stand up on the back of your neck matched with anything efficient, but still able to drive a more difficult load in the 80s like vintage JBLs to very nice room filling levels

Have to spend a LOT of money to come close

It's difficult to beat a nice U.S.A. made 6BQ5 amp with anything else in it's power class as far as sound quality and fun goes

Plenty of tubes to choose from if that's your thing 

Edited by analogman

I have an Outlaw Audio 975 Preamp which I really like.  It covers all the media I have connected to my system.  I listen to everything from classical to jazz to blues to classic rock (probably a good portion of the time) to country to heavy metal.  So, all genres.   I  thought about a tube preamp, but I need a versatile 5.1 system as my TV and Blu Ray is hooked up as well.

I just picked up an amp built by a friend of mine. It's basically an RH single ended design using 6L6 power tubes, 12AT7 driver and 5U4 rectifier. It can use EL-34, 5881 etc. power tubes as well. It's running 300 VDC to the plate. It can also use a GZ34 and similar rectifier tubes. It runs very cool and sounds great. It drives my big Cornscala/JBL/Econowave speakers very well. I'm using a modern Vincent pre-amp that has tube output they claim is class-A. I have only used 6L6 tubes currently. I may try others as they become available.

post-16545-0-55920000-1423078002_thumb.j

post-16545-0-06400000-1423078019_thumb.j

post-16545-0-05320000-1423078055_thumb.j

post-16545-0-33600000-1423078083_thumb.j

post-16545-0-96520000-1423078109_thumb.j

Edited by Bonzo
  • Like 2

My apologies if it appears I hijacked the thread, not my intension at all. My friend built a similar amp based on the EL-84 and I have heard both. I preferred the 6L6 amp based on it has tighter and more controlled bass response. The El-84 does sound sweet and is a favorite of some of his audiophile friends. I think that amp has an approx. 3 watt output while the 6L6 has 8 to 10 in class A. For Jazz trios, acoustic music etc., I could be very happy with the EL-84 amp.

• Like 1