New TV Which One

jcmusic

I'm waiting for the push to 21 x 9 OLED which they should have done 10 years ago. Maybe a curved screen. Hope they loose the network connections since I am OTA. 4K Super Double Ultra Magnificent is fine for me. They are busting my balls with the "K's the same way the weather people are with the "wind Chil index".

JJK

I'm with you on the OLED, but against you on the curvy screens.  The curvy screens seemed to have been rejected by the buying public, so I haven't seen much in that area.

The OLED goes into the "expensive but worth it" (maybe) category for me.

Because technology changes so fast, I like to get the current state-of-the art and hope it won't be obsolete in 4 years. 

My other preference is to buy cheap with the best screen I can find, but without smart-TV stuff and with the crappiest audio I can find.  No curvy screen and no 3-D because I don't like those features.  My Sony Bluray does network stuff, and my 5.1 setup does sound, so I try not to invest money into "features" I pay for but will not use.

Edited by wvu80

Canyonman If I remember correctly where your from, I have a few links you may like if you haven't seen them before.......The first two are about the Riverboat President when it was a floating concert hall, the good old days, it even has a list of performers that played on the boat. We loved that boat.

The last is just a great site for OLD pic's of NO.

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2009/11/remembering_the_riverboat_pres.html

http://jerrygarciasbrokendownpalaces.blogspot.com/2012/05/riverboat-president-spanish-wharf-new.html

http://www.thepastwhispers.com/Old_New_Orleans.html

Yes thanks dtel, I remember that boat well. Saw Peter Frampton on it doing a benefit concert $4 wow!!! He was great!!!

• Moderators

Does anyone know what "full web browser" means on a Tv, does this mean it can be used to search like a computer but with the remote ?

If so I think I would rather have it able to connect to a PC as to not use a remote for this. I don't use a cell phone so I take forever to type texting style. 

It seems some Tv's connect to a Pc and some don't, and it appears price seems to have little to do with it. 

Edited by dtel

I am in the market for a new tv 50"-60" must be LED. So do I really want/need the 4K ultra or will the 1080P get the job done as well?

I say get the finest flagship 50" to 60" 1080P LED LCD you can afford.  I personally would apply that suggestion to any of the still available flagship 1080P plasmas.

Bill

The caveat for plasmas is you need a darker room, or at least one without much sunlight.

I am in the market for a new tv 50"-60" must be LED. So do I really want/need the 4K ultra or will the 1080P get the job done as well?

I say get the finest flagship 50" to 60" 1080P LED LCD you can afford.  I personally would apply that suggestion to any of the still available flagship 1080P plasmas.

Bill

The caveat for plasmas is you need a darker room, or at least one without much sunlight.

Look into Samsung at Fry's, pretty good deals come up every other week, they ship and do not give you too hard of time returning goodies.

If you're still in market get Samsung UN60F8000BFXZA (or UN75F8000BFXZA.).

I compared 60" TV with Sony Bravia 4K and picture was nearly same. The processor is plenty fast, Smart TV and finally their "Ultimate Micro Dimming" technology produces breathtaking picture. The Smart Remote, etc., might not be that useful, but Smart TV itself  is really great for watching You Tube, Netflix etc.. It does come with normal remote. That said, the picture is amazingly clear and 3D like without even turning the 3D mode on. btw., I'm NOT a Samsung employee or has no connection with them what so ever - just my personal experience and preference after comparing Sharp, Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung within the price range for last 15 years or so... Samsung came in with DLP back in days, very new as a brand and have given good run to all known top brands... Probably, they're the Top Brand !!

Leave 4k technology to grow for 5 years from now., as there is not much content available right now... same technology leap as in the case for HD.. Save the money that you'll pay for 4k TV and you'll able to buy 4k TV with plenty of options by adding few hundreds in 5 years time...

Just my 2 cents !!

• Moderators

Yes the Samsung smart TV's with voice command is listening to you.   

“You can control your SmartTV, and use many of its features, with voice commands. If you enable Voice Recognition, you can interact with your Smart TV using your voice. To provide you the Voice Recognition feature, some voice commands may be transmitted (along with information about your device, including device identifiers) to a third-party service that converts speech to text or to the extent necessary to provide the Voice Recognition features to you. In addition, Samsung may collect and your device may capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features. Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition.”

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/02/samsungs-smart-tv-privacy-policy-raises-accusations-of-digital-spying/

I just checked my 60" Vizio M-series ($899) TV and Spotify and Pandora are listed in the apps.

Thanks

Vizio was the only one I found that had Spotify on every model, Samsung only has Pandora unless it's listed as an available app on this list. http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00010177932-compatible

What I was hoping was to use the optical or another output from the Tv to a DAC to see how it sounded. My BR player has Pandora but I wanted to try others, probably would just be best to use a computer so it's not tied to any one device which is limited to what can be used. A laptop would get any internet radio station.

I don't know what brand I will end up with as long as it's a good deal and has what I wanted, without being an off brand I have never heard of. Really just need a decent TV nothing high end, I figure by the time it dies there will be something new out anyway.

It wasn't that long ago that a 50" plasma was a few thousand, they have moved on to other technologies since then and will do it again before long, but at least the prices came down.

Keith, you should to try it out, hook up a Tv output to you stereo and see how it sounds, Pandora from my BR player sound surprisingly good for internet radio and Spotify sounded better when I tried it.

I have a 50" Vizio M502i-b1 and have been very pleased with it. Coming from an older (2009) 46" Panasonic Plasma, that had no "Smart TV" features. Though I'm not into streaming, it's been fun to play around with some of the apps available (VUDU and Pandora) in the TV.

With the built-in WIFI I was suprised at the quality of VUDU's 1080P stream (the HDX feed) and the Dolby Digital soundtracks. There was a 5 free movie option for setting up an account through the Vizio. But after seeing/hearing the quality, I may be willing to rent the occasional movie through their service.

Pandora sounds pretty good as well. But I haven't really done any critical listening at this point. So other than trying it out to see if it works (DPL2 Music mode on my AVR), that's all I can offer.

I'm using the HDMI connection (Audio Return Channel) to get the audio back to my AVR and haven't had any sync or delay issues.

I haven't tried any of the other "Pay" apps, but several have free trial periods, so I might check them out at some point.

Quite nice for a $600 TV...

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I ended up with a 60" Sony 1080p smart TV for $799. Thought it was a good enough deal and the wife is happy!!!

Outstanding.  Looks like you found the price/performance sweet spot.  Gives me renewed hope that in a couple of years when I am in the market again I'll have a featherweight 70" or better OLED at the 1k price.

Dave