Thoughts on Klipschorn Refinish

Mallette

My '72s sound great.  EOS on that.  However, I've been thinking about appearance and thought I'd see how many think it would be "heresy" to go black and cut a riser to place between the horn and the bass cabinet  provide that later look.  I really don't care about them remaining stock in appearance.  My Cinema F-20, TT cabinet, shelves, and most of my other equipment is black anyway.

I'm not sensing PWK scowling from beyond...what about those of you still below?

Dave

Edited by Mallette

• Moderators
richieb, on 07 Feb 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

And to use your recent quote to my splicing question - " If someone says they don't quite look right, I would invite them to leave".

Love it --

Exactly, my thoughts for many years now, don't like the (anything) please feel free to not come back, wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable. 

Dave how about a pic, I would have a hard time painting a wood colored speaker black unless it were in terrible shape. Not that black looks bad but I like the wood look.

Dave,

If I recall correctly your K-Horns are birch raw and were showing some signs of age (not to be unkind).

I think you're absolutely right about going to a B style.

I'd think you can repair any dings with filler.  There are lots of ways to get black.  A satin enamel would be very nice of course..

Post pictures, please.

OT.  I have a 12" x 18" piece of birch ply which solves a dimensional problem in setting my old 37" LED on a cart (not worth explaining).  It had been in place for 10 years without a finish on either side.  Yeah, it got  mañana-ed for 10 years.  Smile.

I did sand lightly, maybe not enough.  Polyurethane wipe-on on the upper, exposed to air side a less than pretty tan-orange.  The side which was face down on the cart top, and therefore somewhat not exposed to air, turned a much more pleasant, light tan.  It's not worth painting it black.  But the result with the poly was surprising.

WMcD

the most beautiful k-horns were the 60th version -      the top was piano black - the sides black mat and the front - lacewood - the bottom front had a black strip with a logo in the front that handled the area where most nicks occured -

here is a better look -

http://www.itishifi.com/search/label/60th%20anniversary%20klipschorn

(not to be unkind).

Gil, such a gentleman!  They still look about the same.  Pretty much determined to go with the black refinish, especially after dtel requested the picture (you mentioned it as well...see above) and I really looked at it.  Heck, even my screensaver background is black.

Thanks for the tip on the satin enamel.  Sounds like just the ticket.  Of course, I'll leave that to that PAW as well as the scheduling of this project.  Thinking I can do the filling of the chipped spots in situ so as not to have them off line very long.  Then, we should be able to get the painting done in two days. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

As to their current look, Dennis Brain's French Horn is said to have looked as if it had been run over by a car.  But the SOUND! 

I had successfully bid on a beautiful set of Klipschorns with a Belle center in 2003 at 3500.00 and the guy reneged.  Got these for 1500.00 and all I've done is replace the xovers with a Crites kit.  Wish I had the Belle, but I rather doubt I could tell the difference in the sound of these vs the others and THAT is what I was after. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

I would try to find some veneer panels and paint them black. You could use some thin double sided tape to attach them. Same for the edges. Then, if you (or anyone else) wanted to change it back you could.

Hell, even carefully aligned black duct tape might work. I just did that on a riser for my RC7 center speaker. No one can tell unless they're up real close. But that was only a couple rows. If any "white" from the tape backing is showing along the edges just touch it up with a Sharpie or treat the tape edges before installing.

Hobby shops sell real thin veneered plywood. You could mosaic the panels. That might even look cool.

Edited by artto

Some Paint :D

ok - so you want tp paint over veneer - first step would be to repair - and sand - then the paint must be spray painted or your speakers will look like they were painted over with a roller -the ideal would be to spray paint as well a  couple of coats of clear -  the factory does this on all their black painted surfaces -    done properly , you will have rejuvinated the speakers - done the wrong way - they will not look right -

While painting may seem like the obvious and easy solution it may turn out to be more work than you thought, especially if the paint starts coming off because not enough preparation as someone previously mentioned.

If the wood color bothers you so much maybe just built some large panels with acoustically transparent fabric to place in front of them. Then people won't even know what they're listening to. Totally unbiased  :)