Thoughts on Klipschorn Refinish

Mallette

attachicon.gifMusicRoom.jpg

They don't look too bad, but there is some chipped veneer at the bottoms that would be much easier to fill than repair, I really am not nuts about this wood, and note the predominance of black elsewhere. 

Dave

IMO, black gets old very quickly even with other black items or speakers.  I have some Indy LaScalas that I would love to trade for Birch to match better with my K's

They don't look too bad, but there is some chipped veneer at the bottoms that would be much easier to fill than repair, I really am not nuts about this wood, and note the predominance of black elsewhere. 

Dave

although ive never owned a piano black component......i think on k's it would look great

I would try to find some veneer panels and paint them black. You could use some thin double sided tape to attach them. Same for the edges. Then, if you (or anyone else) wanted to change it back you could.

Hell, even carefully aligned black duct tape might work. I just did that on a riser for my RC7 center speaker. No one can tell unless they're up real close. But that was only a couple rows. If any "white" from the tape backing is showing along the edges just touch it up with a Sharpie or treat the tape edges before installing.

Hobby shops sell real thin veneered plywood. You could mosaic the panels. That might even look cool.

His idea of fastening thin veneer panels is actually a good idea. It would take much less work, plus you would keep the original finish concealed. Those ultra fine slim finish nails would hold them in place, if you went back to the original finish, the touch up on those nails would be easy.

Well, some good points.  I am generally ready to lean toward the PAW on this.  She thinks a good self-leveling enamel can be applied.  We'll have to orient the K'horns for it and it will take more time than I'd like, 48 hours per coat according to her, but I'll bite the bullet and deal with it.

Will keep the Forum informed.

Dave

I have a link to the company that I believe Klipsch actually gets their veneers from for the heritage speakers if you are interested. It's the site they use if you want a custom veneer for a new heritage order. I think they will do it on anything but the heresy. Contrary to popular belief you aren't limited to just the three colors. It is extra $$$$ though.

http://www.glveneer.com/

Edited by Trentster5172

Guest Steven1963

And to use your recent quote to my splicing question - " If someone says they don't quite look right, I would invite them to leave".

Love it --

Frankly, the only time I can imagine someone commenting on the look is if they have yet to hear them.  If after listening to them they still comment negatively about the looks THEN I would not only invite them to leave, I'd probably turn anti-social to a point of discomfort they would leave without invitation.  Don't let the door hit you in the ...

Yes, visual appeal is important but the sound well placed Khorns produce is beyond what average everyday people can comprehend. And the looks of them after that first audition is usually dead last in order of comment.  My Khorns looks absolutely beautiful for 72's but nobody comments on that until I tell them how old they are.  To a man, they always drop their jaw and open their eyes wide when they listen to them.  The cherry on top is only when I tell them they are over 40 years old.

Edited by Steven1963

My '72s sound great.  EOS on that.  However, I've been thinking about appearance and thought I'd see how many think it would be "heresy" to go black and cut a riser to place between the horn and the bass cabinet  provide that later look.  I really don't care about them remaining stock in appearance.  My Cinema F-20, TT cabinet, shelves, and most of my other equipment is black anyway.

I'm not sensing PWK scowling from beyond...what about those of you still below?

Dave

sounds to me like you need a new pair of black khorns with all the latest -   sell the old ones - buy new ones -why mess with a cab that will sell and be enjoyed for its original look and finish -

An easy thing to do is take some black fabric and tuck it under one side grill of your K-horn, tighten that grill, then pull the fabric across the front of the speaker and under the other side grill and tighten its wing nuts. Then loosen the tophat wing nuts and tuck the fabric between the bass bin and the tophat.

post-58241-0-41320000-1423873716_thumb.j

• Like 1

I believe the "B-style" looks best as well. A bit disappointed the new K-horns no longer come that way.  As far as changing the color to black, if you are able to improve on the looks, then that's a move in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.  One thing you could do to add some contrast to all that black is change the grills to cane.  I remember seeing some old Klipsch ads with black Cornwalls and cane grills, and it was a nice look.

I once had plans on putting a piano black finish on some raw birch K-horns that I had.  I never ended up getting around to it as it appeared that getting that kind of finish was going to be a very difficult job.  I may still think about giving that another shot if I can convince myself that I would be able to pull it off.  There is probably no turning back once you go this direction.  At least one person has successfully pulled it off.

153702d1347364817-klipsch-venner-klipsch

I believe the "B-style" looks best as well. A bit disappointed the new K-horns no longer come that way.  As far as changing the color to black, if you are able to improve on the looks, then that's a move in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.  One thing you could do to add some contrast to all that black is change the grills to cane.  I remember seeing some old Klipsch ads with black Cornwalls and cane grills, and it was a nice look.

I once had plans on putting a piano black finish on some raw birch K-horns that I had.  I never ended up getting around to it as it appeared that getting that kind of finish was going to be a very difficult job.  I may still think about giving that another shot if I can convince myself that I would be able to pull it off.  There is probably no turning back once you go this direction.  At least one person has successfully pulled it off.

153702d1347364817-klipsch-venner-klipsch

the khorns you see in piano black is an absolute super well made job - it is not cheap - this kind of work is about  a 1500$ for sure , as it is very labour intensive - you have to prep to absolute perfection - then paint and sand several times in between each step until you reach this result -    the economical way to do this is to paint the top only in piano black , but the rest of the cab in mat black all around and do the front of the cab in a dark veneer with a glossy acrylic clear coat - about 750$ -

Dave

Glad to see someone is still using the 698!  Loved it back in the day. 

Always thought if I ever painted a speaker, I would take it to a body shop to get a good job.  Perhaps a piano black finish or tons of black lacquer. 

tc