Arguments for/against splicing speaker cable

richieb

• Moderators

Another thought is an intelligence test for the late PWK.

If you believe the reports that he was a genius and had platinum ears, simply replace these too short wires with the correct length of zip cord.

If your sound is suddenly awful, PWK wasn't as smart as we think he was.

Dave

I wouldn't cut em, yet.

What did you use to hook them up with on the long wall when you got them? If you are happy with that I would sell the Kimbers and buy more music, or you could buy those little ceramic bridges that keep your cables off the floor.

If you cut em oxygen will leak into the OFC and then have got a big mess on your hands that may only be rectified by ultrasonic or cryogenic treatments. ;).

Seriously, if you are using basic wire now, I would listen to that for at least ten hours before even looking at a minor tweaK like cables.

The problem is if you cut em and like em better than zip wire you will cause a major paradigm shift in both wire camps of a magnitude along the lines of general relativity. It would cause high dollar cable owners everywhere to splice in zip cord, and zip cord users to splice in high dollar cable. The length to use, type, and manner of splice would be the subject oh heated debates on here for years to come, possibly even resulting in the creation of added forum subcategories.

If you cut the cables and report on them you are jumping into the abyss from which there is no return.

What I really want to know is if you are running spades or bananas on the end, because that will make all the difference right there.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The electrons will be shocked into submission by the break in the wire and the dam (wall) you have created which will block their path. If they get really mad they might even melt the insulation or the wire itself. What possible good can that be for audio quality? Make sure you use pure silver solder.

Right you are sir as I was attempting a twist of two 4 strand wires when I experienced reverse electron capacitance where I could not, under any amount of force, join the two together. Kind of like -+ magnets. Guess I'll move to another project. What's that show Myth Busters. Speaker cable cannot, will not be spliced. This myth is Busted!

:rolleyes:  :wacko:  :blink:  :lol:  :D  :P

I vote"don't splice" for economic reasons.

It seems like your Kimber wires have some value, and you will lose that value if you cut them.  I would suggest selling them if they have a resale value and replacing your own wire with 12 ga. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

See that's the deal there is no cutting involved. I am just undoing a twisted/tied 8 ft pair of Kimbers that was used for bi- wire. All I am doing is taking those apart giving me four individual 8 ft cables. I then splice those two eight footers together for my 16 ft. Nothing cut or damaged other than trimming, tidying the ends. I have finished one spliced with electrical tape and she don't look bad. Bet the electrons have no idea they are now interwoven!

• Like 1

If I were you, I'll solder them and heat shrink the joint. This way there are good chances for these cables' copper and the joint to stay intact for long years.

If you don't have solder gun and wire at your disposal, take it to nearby repair shop and I'm sure they'll do it for less than $10.

Good Luck

• Like 1

the internals of the cable is no different than a run of the mill twisted wire - but the tooling needed to make the bi-wire and the fabrication process in shielding materials is expensive making this 8 ft pair of Kimbers a very good quality cable for years to come -

that would be ruined -you can fabricate an extension of the cable with the right connectors using the same gauge - the connectors are dime a dozen and the result would be very good -

Edited by Randyh